Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-07-2017, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paredown View Post
My brother got to meet him at a race in Portland BITD when my brother was working pit crew with another racer. He said Mr Newman was just one of the guys who liked to go fast, hanging out with the other drivers and being generally chill...
Concur 100%. Used to see PLN at Lime Rock back in the early-mid 1980s when I was an aspiring racer and pit crewed for some IMSA and SCCA teams. He was just another weekend racer, albeit with great equipment support from Bob Sharp. My mother was incredibly jealous that I occasionally rubbed shoulders (but thankfully not fenders...) with her Hollywood heartthrob.

Greg
Old 12-08-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeregrineA1 View Post
So I'm leaning towards the GT3, even though it will not be 3 pedals....it makes the correct noises and well, what the hell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
A buddy did it a couple times, first in a GT3 since he'd just bought one, then years later in a Cayman. He had MUCH more fun in the Cayman as he could drive it closer to it's limit. Even as a spec 911 racer the GT3 was too much car for him to fully enjoy.

That said, the GT3 is an awesome car.
I drove a current GT3 (and a 488 GTB) at an event today. Man, that thing was a monster. Incredible stick and go. However, it really made me appreciate the old air-cooled 911 that I had driven up to the event. The older car seemed soooo much smaller, lighter and airy after being in the GT3. It was a lot of fun to do the laps on the track with the GT3, but I honestly would have preferred to have done the same laps in the older car. It would have been more fun to me.

Regardless, good experience!

Texbike
Old 12-08-2017, 08:34 PM

I'd go for something with a stick. BTW, the Macan is not a silly suggestion. The sales manager at the local dealership says it tracks as good as any high volume car they make.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:20 PM

I’m going to call and find out what is available in a stick. A factor in the decision for sure.

Certainly the GT3 won’t be, but there are other positives...

There is a Master the Manual program in a 911.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSteve View Post
Or this...
NOW YOU'RE TALKING!!!!

I have a German buddy with a Tubo 911 and a S550. He says that the difference between the two on a 5 hour drive is about 4 minutes. But with the Porsche he's needs a nap at the end and with the S550 he feels like he just got off the couch.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:28 AM

911. Real fun car.