Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 08:52 AM
Ex-Mr.President

Anyone own or have used a Tacx Neo trainer

I am leaning to this particular trainer over the some of the other ones I have researched. It seems to have the most features as well as some fun ones to sort of simulate the road feel. I know none of the trainers will be exactly like the road, but does anyone have any experience with the Neo and what are your impressions?

Would you buy it again? What pros and cons (besides cost) have you run into?

Thanks

Dave
Old 12-06-2017, 11:58 AM

I've had one for almost a year now. I started with a Bushido Smart controlled by an ipad and got into the Tacx system. I bought 15-20 videos thru the Tacx cycling app and was hooked. I tried Zwift but did not like it, so I mainly ride the Tacx videos which are fabulous.

Last winter a local deal came up on a purchased but never used neo Smart and I bought it, as the significant other wanted her bike on a trainer, so she got the Bushido.

The neo is very smooth and extremely quiet. I don't care about the quiet because I have an industrial fan running anyway, but for apartment dwellers it may make the neighbors happy. I use it without plugging it in, as I don't care for the powered downhill,as that is the only feature that needs ac power.

It feels smooth , and has been flawless. I absolutely love using it. I would not have paid sticker price when I got it but now, having used it, I probably would.

The road feel feature is at once the coolest and most useless feature possible. I think most turn it off after using it a few times. None of the ipad videos yet have this feature, but there is a demo I tried.

There have been a few Neos that arrive with a scraping sound out of the box, or they develop it after some use. It is a minor problem with an easy fix. You remove the housing with a puller supplied by Tacx and available online, and remove loose pieces of metal that are stuck to the magnets. People say it is an easy fix if you need it. Mine has been perfect.

Tacx is now in beta for a new software system for it, that will be for Windows 10, Mac OS, Mac IOS and android. It will be a monthly subscription based system which gives access to all videos and training plans they have. looks promising, but not yet available for me. I own the videos I ride so I'm not interested in a monthly fee.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions.

Dan
Old 12-06-2017, 12:22 PM
tailgunning

i have one as well.

my downstairs neighbors haven't complained since i got it, therefore i'm happy.

best $1000 bucks i've spent (relatively speaking)

@DfCas - does yours make an electronic beeping sound sometimes when ramping up speed/power?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM

No, I've never heard a beeping sound, but my fan may drown it out.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM

neo

have had one for about a year. love it. the only noise i hear is from the chain and drive train. the road feel is ok but i can live with out it. i have used it with zwift, road grand tours and big ring vr. no problems with any of these applications and communication w/ the trainer. i would not hesitate to buy it again.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:39 PM

I've had one for about a year. At 4:30 am when I ride it, I don't want to be clang-clanging all about, and this thing is pretty much as quiet as it gets. Have used it with Zwift and a few other packages, and it works just fine. Not cheap, and I've not seen one for less than ~$1500, but it's a quality trainer and I like the technology.
Old 12-07-2017, 06:04 PM

Cycling News just posted a review of the Neo.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/reviews/t...-smart-review/
Old 12-07-2017, 06:46 PM

It has everything you need and want compared to other smart trainers except the better customer service of the others IMO.
Merlin
CYFAC