Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 05:57 PM

Experiences with Rydon II and/or Half Jacket 2.0xl sunglasses?

I'm springing for a set of semi-prescription riding glasses (blank up top, bifocal bottom). I was all set to do progressive lenses in my Rydon frames, but that was shot down by both my local eye dr & the rep I'm working with. So I decided to do lined bifocals. Fine, except it appears my beady little rat eyes don't have enough distance between pupils. So it's been suggested I look at either the Rudy Project Rydon II's or the Oakley Half Jacket 2.0XL's.
Anyone use those & can compare them to the Rydons? I know the II's are smaller, but how much & how noticable? Worried about wind around the edges, mostly.
Going through SportRX. Interestingly, Rudy doesn't do progressives & Oakley doesn't do lined bifocals.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:06 PM

huge fan of my prescription rydon ii's. some of the coating's wearing off lenses though, but it's been prob. several years of lots and lots of wear & tear in many environments. yes, that means i'm riding with a prescription that's old, but it's minimally off my current prescription since my eyes aren't bad. wasn't worth the expense to change lenses.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54ny77 View Post
huge fan of my prescription rydon ii's. some of the coating's wearing off lenses though, but it's been prob. several years of lots and lots of wear & tear in many environments. yes, that means i'm riding with a prescription that's old, but it's minimally off my current prescription since my eyes aren't bad. wasn't worth the expense to change lenses.
Did you ever use the regular Rydons? How do the II's compare, fit wise? I love mine Rydons, but they just won't work.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:19 PM

the ii's fit my face better than the regular rydon's.

i dunno if regular rydon's are available today, because my glasses are old. they've been a very good purchase, gotten years of abuse out of them.

only thing i've ever had to replace was the rubber nose piece.

i was thinking of getting some new glasses this year if only because i'd like to update my prescription lense. the lenses on my rydon's were pricey back in the day, but nowhere near as bad as the oakleys i was looking at. they were something like triple the cost for the lenses. screw that.

my eye doc at the time said the curvier the lens, the pricier they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makoti View Post
Did you ever use the regular Rydons? How do the II's compare, fit wise? I love mine Rydons, but they just won't work.

Last edited by 54ny77; 12-06-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:41 AM

I'd speak with your eye doc., and try on both with and without your helmet prior to pulling the trigger.
Depending on your Rx, one or both may not be well matched.
Depending on how you wear your glasses, they may or may not match up well with your vision line.
I have an M frame with a scripted lens, and I really pushed the limit of Rx strength vs. lens curve; if I were to do it again, I would not go with the M frame. As for the Rydon IIs, I had a pair, non-scripted, and found them ok for riding on fair weather low wind days, but on windier days, they didn't provide the coverage/protection I'd hoped for (but that's just me and my face). Adidas may be another option to look into for Rx sunnies.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:19 AM

agree with that statement re: wind coverage. rydon ii's don't do a super job in that regard. i bought 'em for use in cycling and general sunglass wearing, so it was a happy medium.

i had a pair of cycling-specific bolle somethingorothers for a long time prior, those blocked wind nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemmjay View Post
I'd speak with your eye doc., and try on both with and without your helmet prior to pulling the trigger.
Depending on your Rx, one or both may not be well matched.
Depending on how you wear your glasses, they may or may not match up well with your vision line.
I have an M frame with a scripted lens, and I really pushed the limit of Rx strength vs. lens curve; if I were to do it again, I would not go with the M frame. As for the Rydon IIs, I had a pair, non-scripted, and found them ok for riding on fair weather low wind days, but on windier days, they didn't provide the coverage/protection I'd hoped for (but that's just me and my face). Adidas may be another option to look into for Rx sunnies.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:21 AM

my Rydon IIs are the best piece of gear I own...

bought the frames on ebay, took them to an optometrist who carries Rudy and they sent them off to some place in AZ for the Rx lenses (+2.75, progressive, polarized).

have never had regular Rydons on, so can't give a comparison. but, I have an uber-narrow face and the IIs fit me nicely.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 AM

I have been using the Rydon's (not II's) for the past few years for running and cycling. Used the "reader" lenses but got to the point where I needed full prescription progressives. Used SportRX and they did a great job. So per your question, I have a 67 pupil diameter and they said the Half Jacket's would have been too small for me and I went with the Flak Jacket's. The Flak's are quite small, so I would believe the Half's would be no problem for you. SportRX did a great job recommending frames/lenses. Most of the frames list the various measurements so you can get an idea of coverage etc.