Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2017, 01:02 PM

sigh.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bonts.jpg (76.8 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrider View Post
sigh.......

In OP’s defense, the last Bont thread was over a year ago - I guess they could have necromanced an old one, but it’s also not like they started another “Rapha is for snobs” thread...
Old 12-06-2017, 01:17 PM

Its almost like we talk about bike stuff around here. Weird.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:36 PM

jus saying the repetition of same threads/questions is growing all time....that search took me .006 seconds and the majority of answers found there are same answers that are popping up here........
Old 12-06-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf View Post
I love my Bonts, but they are custom, I have huge feet, so I don't think my experience really counts. That said they are far superior to the D2s I had previously.
In what respects are they better than your D2 shoes?
Old 12-06-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm on Bont Vaypor S' now replacing my clapped out Lake CX237s. The fit is different, but seemingly no less comfortable and my Lakes were incredibly cozy. Maybe my feet just aren't fussy. The Bonts are noticeably stiffer and the power transfer is definitely marginally better.

I have very low volume, narrow feet. Long, but not tall arches. I haven't molded the soles, but I have used thicker inserts to fill up some of the volume. The shoes have been totally fine for me in all facets of the road riding I do.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
In what respects are they better than your D2 shoes?
Lighter, FAR lighter, stiffer, they have lasted a lot longer, and are more comfortable, they were cheaper (I don't think this is the case anymore, Bont upped their prices I think), and their customer service is better.

Also when I first got my D2s they were wrong, and I had to have the footbeds made again, not a huge issue, but I've heard others complain about similar issues with D2, bont's were right the first time.

Last edited by ftf; 12-06-2017 at 01:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:22 PM

Just my experience, I hated them, and everyone I know locally that tried them, ditched them in less than one season.

I personally think the 'heat moldable' thing is complete gimmick on these types of shoes. Keep in mind, the main section of the shoe, under your foot, is not moldable. Only some parts of the side, and its not -that much.

Also, they are quite low volume, so if the bottom of the shoe doesn't suit your foot, you are gonna have trouble fitting a custom insole in there.

If you really need custom, don't waste your money on off the shelf 'custom' shoes like this. Just go all the way for the full custom bonts, R7's, or the one's I'm currently looking at, Simmons.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:03 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post
Just my experience, I hated them, and everyone I know locally that tried them, ditched them in less than one season.

I personally think the 'heat moldable' thing is complete gimmick on these types of shoes. Keep in mind, the main section of the shoe, under your foot, is not moldable. Only some parts of the side, and its not -that much.

Also, they are quite low volume, so if the bottom of the shoe doesn't suit your foot, you are gonna have trouble fitting a custom insole in there.

If you really need custom, don't waste your money on off the shelf 'custom' shoes like this. Just go all the way for the full custom bonts, R7's, or the one's I'm currently looking at, Simmons.
It took me 4-5 times of molding, testing, molding, testing to get my Bonts right. (A1s and A3s) Haven't tried any of the new ones

M
Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM

Pluses-super stiff and moldable, plus if you want to run two bolt cleats or run your cleats midfoot, its easy to drill and move the t nuts.

Minuses-as said before, they are low volume. I have super high arches, which the footbed suits, but I have to run the straps wide open or just about, which doesn't leave much room for midride adjustment.

Heel feels insecure at first, but its not.

I go back and forth between Vaypors a pair of empires.The riots are on a slightly different last, I'm told, as are the Vaypor pluses.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldguy00 View Post

One piece of advice with regard to the Simmons. You need to be very sure that you get an exact molding of your foot that is exactly the way you want it. Because the insole is molded into the shoe, you have very little latitude to make any adjustments to the foot bed. In other custom shoes with a flat insole and a separate orthotic that slips in, you can add material under the orthotic if your casting isn't 100% spot on. In the Simmons shoe that is not possible in my experience.

Also, the Simmons shoes are very snug. I had a pair of the 'leather' ones and it was a challenge to get them on and off.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
jus saying the repetition of same threads/questions is growing all time....that search took me .006 seconds and the majority of answers found there are same answers that are popping up here........
Hey AZrider, I've been on this forum since 2011 and I know the forum etiquette but I also know things change. Also, I spend plenty of time searching and lurking on the forum and I actually enjoy it when I get to participate. I posted a thread this morning and by lunchtime there were two pages of responses--and only one response told me to look it up. How cool is that?

Last week I had a question about BB adaptors for a Cervelo frame. Can you imagine the kind of muck from 2012-2014 that searching brought up? It was really nice to get some present-day feedback and the same goes for these shoe companys that haven't, ahem, found their footing just yet, and seem to be changing pretty quickly.

Thanks for everyone's replies. I'll have to read through all the past threads to see if I can find a Bont vs Sidi or Bont vs Fizik comparison, but thank you to Fignons Barber, Flash UNC, and Gabuyo for your insights. I'm either going to try a cheap pair of Bonts or look for some Lake's.

Keep an eye open for my upcoming threads:

'Is Campy any good'

'Why did Ben Serotta retire?'

'Is lance guilty?'

'Who is this Dario guy?'

and of course, 'what's my Madone worth?'

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-06-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Whoa, whoa, whoa... that screenshot says it took 0.06 seconds, which is 10 times longer than your claimed 0.006 seconds. Trying to pull a fast one...
Old 12-06-2017, 03:59 PM

Bont

I love my Bont shoes. I have Vapour S for road and Vapor G for gravel/mtb.

I credit my Bont shoes with saving me from having to stop riding.

I had 3 foot surgeries in the space of a year- after that my left foot would get painful on anything other than a short ride. Tried many shoes and many versions of orthotics. Nothing cured me.

One day on a whim- I pulled out a 5 year old set of Bont A1's that were collecting dust- they worked. Within a month my foot was better.
I don't know if it was the stiffness of the sole- or the shape of the sole, but something worked. I am cured.

Over time I upgraded to the latest and greatest Bonus. They are even better than the old ones.

I have a wide toe box, narrow heel, high arch- But low volume foot. I wear custom insoles in my Bonts.

I also really like the fact that their mtb shoe is exactly the same as their road shoe.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
Whoa, whoa, whoa... that screenshot says it took 0.06 seconds, which is 10 times longer than your claimed 0.006 seconds. Trying to pull a fast one...
pun intended?