Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2017, 07:00 PM

New see.sense lights on kickstarter?

Just saw that the company see.sense that has lights that adapt to ambient lighting is pushing for a new generation of lights:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-b/description

Sorry can't hyperlink it on my phone.

Thoughts?

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 07:14 AM

There is room for some improvement. These lights sit too low to be in the sight lines of drivers.

A better design would bring the lights both forward for the front, and rearward for the rear, and upwards for both front and rear.

These need to be raised, extended in height, and extended in length to be better. If you take a rod and extend it about 12 inches front an rear, and raise it 12 inches front and rear, and have something about the size of a thick Sharpie pen with a tall row of LED's it would work better. Won't look the same, but it will be safer.

Something like this link below, only extend up and outward more would be ideal:

https://www.amazon.com/Blitzu-Rechar...ycle+led+light
Old 10-14-2017, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19wisconsin64 View Post
There is room for some improvement. These lights sit too low to be in the sight lines of drivers.

A better design would bring the lights both forward for the front, and rearward for the rear, and upwards for both front and rear.

These need to be raised, extended in height, and extended in length to be better. If you take a rod and extend it about 12 inches front an rear, and raise it 12 inches front and rear, and have something about the size of a thick Sharpie pen with a tall row of LED's it would work better. Won't look the same, but it will be safer.

I thought it a bit odd that they didn't mention helmet mounting as an option. I guess they are too heavy for that to be practical. If they offered a wired front/back setup like the L&M Vis 360 they could likely shed much of that weight which might make helmet mounting practical.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old 10-14-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:

Not sure I understand this comment, since seat post and head tube are both about the height of a car tail or head light.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:08 AM

I'm not sure about the "further out" part, but have an opinion on the "higher up" part.

I my experience (often urban commuting), parallel parked cars often create a "canyon effect," especially with the prevalence of big-ass SUVs. That makes it problematic for drivers to see cyclists in so-called "protected" bike lanes as well as those entering intersections from cross streets or alleys. I didn't used to like helmet-mounted lights, but after my crash in February and resulting Ti rod insertion into my right femur, I have come to think that "the higher, the better," at least in urban settings. Hence my earlier comment about no mention of a helmet mounted option.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:19 AM

It's important to consider the sight lines of drivers. Many drivers these days are higher up, in SUVs. Also, vehicles these days are very good at isolating exterior sounds, so the only chance drivers have of knowing a cyclist is there is by vision and sight lines.

I don't think it would be too difficult for someone interested in designing and bringing to market a good looking highly visible front and rear cycling light system. If anyone is interested call me (send me a private message), we can do a drawing on a napkin. It won't make millions, but it will save lives.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:46 AM

See.sense sent me a rear light last winter to test. It was very bright and it gave me more peace of mine knowing that when it got darker, the light would get brighter and blink faster. There were features that I never used though, like pairing it with my phone. I also got one of the first runs and the battery life wasn't that great, I would have to charge it every 2-3 days of commuting.
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM

It amazes me what people commute with here in the city..there are a lot of people running those super weak, single blip LED lights mounted on their rear rack/seat post/rear seatstay that I can barely even see riding right behind them.

I also agree with the higher up logic but not sure how cleanly it can be done to make a light farther out. I wonder how lights designed with several sets of angled lights would perform (i.e. current straight ahead angle, something angled more upwards that would better get the attention of drivers [but not blindingly so], and maybe something towards the sides).
Old 10-14-2017, 12:27 PM

Smart Helmet!!

Higher up for line of sight
I have 3 now: Torch, Lumos, and Livall.
All Usb rechargeable.
The advantage is that they can't be stolen from the bike.
And the Livall plays music via Blutooth from yr gadget
Tiny speakers and you can still hear ambient sound, so is much safer than earbuds
Join the revolution y'all
Old 10-14-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drmojo View Post
Higher up for line of sight
I have 3 now: Torch, Lumos, and Livall.
All Usb rechargeable.
The advantage is that they can't be stolen from the bike.
And the Livall plays music via Blutooth from yr gadget
Tiny speakers and you can still hear ambient sound, so is much safer than earbuds
Join the revolution y'all
I saw several people wearing these in D.C. a couple of weeks ago, and I thought they looked very good, both aesthetically and functionally. I'm intrigued.
Old 10-14-2017, 01:40 PM

they are awesome

lumos and torch are a bit heavy but it is a small price to pay for safety.
I have used them on double centuries and long brevets without trouble.
And they all have run times greater than 8 hrs or so.
I am a fervent believer in smart helmets.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:

I ordered the blitzu from amazon and it arrived today - much brighter than the nr cherrybomb (that bit the dust after only a year). It will have to go on the seatpost as it is way to wide to be placed horizontally on the seatstay - could be placed vertically but I don't want to take the chance of it slipping and hitting the spokes. For 20 bucks it seems like a great product - battery life and longevity will be the deciding factor.