Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Attire for the tall 'n lanky?

I'm endeavouring to find some better casual cycling attire in the 'long and lean' cut. I'm 6'4" but only 160lbs. I have a narrow waist and chest, broad shoulders and gorilla-type long arms.

I'm not a roadie, and I don't wear Team-style kit. I'm more in the Swrve/Chrome shorts and a light merino polo top camp. Sometimes I just wear a t-shirt [gasp]. However, I am thinking that some SS/LS jerseys that fit in a trim but not aero manner might be nice. Drop hem, partial zipper or buttons, rear pockets. Plain styling.

Any folks out there have recommendations for 'fast casual' attire for ectomorphs? I like the look of some of the Rapha stuff, but the variety of cuts and collections makes my head spin. Anything else I should be looking at?

Cheers,

KJ
Old 10-05-2017, 11:45 AM

I've got an XL Swrve riding hoodie with your name on it if you're interested. It's the slate blue color. It's simply too long for me. It is definitely designed for someone with your build. I only used it for a single weekend bikepacking trip and just came across it recently among my bike clothing.

It's the only piece I have from Swrve but the quality is great and it feels just like my Smartwool and Icebreaker merino tees.

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 10-05-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 01:54 PM

CHPT3. It's built for tall, skinny folk, with really clean styling. Spendy, but really durable. The OneMoreLap bibs are my new favorites.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:02 PM

6'5" and #180 here, ~16/35 dress shirt. I prefer a style of "understated roadie". In that style, some of Castelli's kits work for me (if they're not too loud visually). I tend to go for their XXL in long sleeve tops; sometimes XL. The Italians have very different ideas of sizes than we do!

For technical long-sleeve tops but utterly non-roadie, I've found some good results with Under Armor or similar "compression" tops. They're not cut for a position that's strongly bent over, but they can work. They'll feel a little odd in the shoulders if you're deep in the drops. Craft (the company) has some excellent running and cross-country skiing tops that fit the same bill. They also have some cycling clothing that can be more understated. Rab makes some really nice technical clothing for general fleece, down, rain shells, etc., that fit me well.

For short sleeves, I fit a large in Castelli, Capo, Craft, and Twin Six. All have some designs that are more plain than full-on Team Issue.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:03 PM

6'4, 160? For you sir. Get eating.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Everything is connected

These folks are great to deal with and a lot of their products are made in the US...Pittsburgh to be exact.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com
Old 10-05-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
These folks are great to deal with and a lot of their products are made in the US...Pittsburgh to be exact.

https://www.aerotechdesigns.com
I have a pair of their bibs and they are quite nice, I rotate between them and Rapha Classics and don't notice much difference in terms of comfort, the aero tech are slightly longer both inseam and straps.

I also have two of their tall Lrg jerseys. They are a nice basic jersey, although I wish the sleeves were longer... barely a couple inches from pit to sleeve fwiw. Mine are older though so maybe newer ones are different.
Old 10-05-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
6'4, 160? For you sir. Get eating.

Unless that's a big ol' bucket of mock meat drums, imma' pass! :-S
Old 10-05-2017, 06:47 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Hincapie Sports.

I have a pair (albeit a few years old) of Medium shorts and the inseam is 'almost' long enough to be knickers on me. I always worn Medium in every short I've ever owned. For the Hincapie jersey, I hadda go up to Large where I have always worn a Medium. It was broad enough thru the chest. Length was ok.

Mike in AR
Old 10-05-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnetter View Post
Unless that's a big ol' bucket of mock meat drums, imma' pass! :-S
I'm just jealous. We're about the same height and I have 45lbs on you...not muscle or pocket change, unfortunately.
Old 10-05-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhespenheide View Post
6'5" and #180 here, ~16/35 dress shirt. I prefer a style of "understated roadie". In that style, some of Castelli's kits work for me (if they're not too loud visually). I tend to go for their XXL in long sleeve tops; sometimes XL. The Italians have very different ideas of sizes than we do!

For technical long-sleeve tops but utterly non-roadie, I've found some good results with Under Armor or similar "compression" tops. They're not cut for a position that's strongly bent over, but they can work. They'll feel a little odd in the shoulders if you're deep in the drops. Craft (the company) has some excellent running and cross-country skiing tops that fit the same bill. They also have some cycling clothing that can be more understated. Rab makes some really nice technical clothing for general fleece, down, rain shells, etc., that fit me well.

For short sleeves, I fit a large in Castelli, Capo, Craft, and Twin Six. All have some designs that are more plain than full-on Team Issue.
Thanks for this. I'd looked at Twin Six stuff before but not closely (and probably mostly that Rando frameset). I like the look - understated - and the sizing looks promising.

KJ
Old 10-05-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieburger View Post
I'm just jealous. We're about the same height and I have 45lbs on you...not muscle or pocket change, unfortunately.
Well I'm 37 and I've had the same body since I was 17. If it's any consolation, I'm gonna look pretty weird when I'm old and a gaunt stick figure with a pot belly haha ... :-\
Old 10-05-2017, 11:51 PM

I promise attaquer jerseys in L will fit you perfectly.

Srsly
Old 10-06-2017, 01:11 AM

6'3" and 160lbs here. I mostly wear spandex right now (twin six and a few other brands in race cut), but in casual wear, a few brands that have options are outliers (pants inseam is 33.75"), and some Levi's commuter gear in slim and 32x34, though it's not quite as durable/technical. I've had poor luck with Rapha cuts, as they seem to be a bit more normal-person oriented. I'd also be interested to learn of more options to spend the money I don't have.
Old 10-11-2017, 03:00 PM

I'm a similar height / weight and I've yet to find a brand which caters to my build....instead my wardrobe is an eclectic collection of whatever oddball sized garment fits me.

All my lycra stuff is Cuore as they have custom length options so bibs with +6cm legs and jerseys with +8cm sleeves.

This Madison jacket is amazing and fits me really well with sleeves that are long enough.

For non-lycra Mavic have a new range of 'touring' clothing with really nice fitted-but-baggy shorts but I can't find them on their website.