Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2022, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
Quill is the internally widest rim brake option available that's not touring weight, AFAIK
yea, most rim brakes are not going to be optimal for much wider than the quill.

what tire size is intended for this bike ?
Old 01-20-2022, 10:36 AM
Administrator

These look like a good affordable option too

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12904312.html
Old 01-20-2022, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
These look like a good affordable option too

https://www.probikekit.com/bicycle-w.../12904312.html
I’ve ridden the crap out of these on trails and they lasted years…I wouldn’t hesitate to use them.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:39 AM

I did a season of gravel rides/races on my Gunnar Crosshairs with cantilevers and a Deep V/PW wheelset that Joe Young built. I was running 35mm Conti tires with tubes and a spin skin. I'm a fatass and they held up well. I'm happy to have tubeless and disc these days.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davist View Post
Many ran the dura ace c24s for cyclocross for years without much concern, I used a pair for gravel a few years ago and they posed no issues. Today, I'd echo the others and consider a wider wheel. I have DT pr1600s (came on my canyon and they're disc) for 700c gravel wheels and they, too have been bullet proof...
Begs the question, is gravel harder on wheels than road?

I would posit no, despite being bumpier, the lower speeds make you much less likely to destroy a wheelset, whereas I have railed some DEEP potholes on road rides at really high speeds. 1/2mv^2 and all that.

If the OP wants to ride Zondas on gravel, I don't see why not. Wider wheels are marginally better, but aren't a deal breaker IME.

Last edited by rice rocket; 01-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post

I would posit no, despite being bumpier, the lower speeds make you much less likely to destroy a wheelset, whereas I have railed some DEEP potholes on road rides at really high speeds. 1/2mv^2 and all that.
i think the bigger factor is the bigger tires with lower pressure absorb a lot of the shock load that road wheels with much higher pressure see.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:43 AM

Quote:

Clearly based on what and how you ride. I don’t go slower, or at least go fast enough to take some serious hits that are incredibly hard on wheels and tires.

For my riding, simply no comparison gravel is significantly harder on the wheels. The dents, gouges, and more maintenance requirements clearly indicate this.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:46 AM
n - 1

Cliffhangers - at 675g, might be a little HD for my usage . But if I start cracking rims, I’ll look into them

Tires I’ll be using majority of the time will be 43-45. Way back when Stan’s came out with Crest rims, which I believe had 17 or 18mm ID, I used 2.2-2.4” tires on them. Not optimal but I had no complaints. Any of the rims above mentioned will be fine for my usage as far as width goes.

Well, those Mavic’s look good, too. Slightly wider. I don’t know if there is any big advantage one way or the other compared to the DT’s? My preference is to DT since the 240/350’s have been absolutely bombproof. I’m still using some that are 12 years old and they spin like new.

Likes2ridefar probably sees similar terrain I do (in Utah). Fast, chunky, washboardy roads. Definitely more abusive to the wheels (and to me) than road riding around here.

Last edited by p nut; 01-20-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Cliffhangers - at 675g, might be a little HD for my usage . But if I start cracking rims, I’ll look into them

Tires I’ll be using majority of the time will be 43-45. Way back when Stan’s came out with Crest rims, which I believe had 17 or 18mm ID, I used 2.2-2.4” tires on them. Not optimal but I had no complaints. Any of the rims above mentioned will be fine for my usage as far as width goes.

Well, those Mavic’s look good, too. Slightly wider. I don’t know if there is any big advantage one way or the other compared to the DT’s? My preference is to DT since the 240/350’s have been absolutely bombproof. I’m still using some that are 12 years old and they spin like new.
Lol agree tanks, I wouldn’t run them but they are an option and would probably ride quite nice once you are up to speed.

I ran those ksyrium wheels with tires of that size for years and live to tell the tale… no they aren’t as nice riding as a modern disc gravel wheel but they will do!
Old 01-20-2022, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Clearly based on what and how you ride. I don’t go slower, or at least go fast enough to take some serious hits that are incredibly hard on wheels and tires.

For my riding, simply no comparison gravel is significantly harder on the wheels. The dents, gouges, and more maintenance requirements clearly indicate this.
Fair, everything is situational. I'm guessing AZ roads are quite different, but here in the Northeast, roads turn to **** in Feb/March, and stay that way until it's near too late to patch (October?). I've lost tubes but never wheels to some road potholes large enough to swallow a whole bike in group rides where other riders have failed to point them out. Is that luck? Well built wheels? Who knows.

Gravel, I'm not going near as fast, and don't feel the destruction is anywhere near what can happen on the road.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:04 AM

Quote:
The dents, gouges, and more maintenance requirements clearly indicate this.
Maybe if the rims weren't so wide they wouldn't get dinged up as bad? Not a mark on mine so far.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:07 AM

There is a very big difference from Arizona to Ny. I lived in NYC most my years so have some experience.

Arizona gravel can be like kitty litter on the canals, smooth and as easy as your favorite paved road, but I often ride single track that my gravel bike can handle.

Also, even many of the forest roads that are gravel(dirt road is more likely here rather than gravel), really they are more like a very wide single track from a technicality perspective. Add to the fact you can climb for miles on some and then descend similarly high speeds are easy to obtain on chunky roads.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
Maybe if the rims weren't so wide they wouldn't get dinged up as bad? Not a mark on mine so far.
You’ve never had a rock jump off a trail and hit your rim or spoke or bike? I did this to my mtb wheels years ago before I even knew what internal width was. And many wheel sets since…

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 01-20-2022 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
You’ve never had a rock jump off a trail and hit your rim or spoke or bike? I did this to my mtb wheels years ago before I even knew what internal width was. And many wheel sets since…
I guess not that badly so far, but I can see how it could happen.
Old 01-20-2022, 11:55 AM
Sunshine

Quote:

If the OP wants to ride Zondas on gravel, I don't see why not. Wider wheels are marginally better, but aren't a deal breaker IME.
Overall I average probably 1mph slower on gravel than road. Mostly depends on how much climbing there is in the end, so tough to compare ride to ride.

The worst paved road rides I have been on are still smoother than a typical gravel ride. I have lucked out and not hit potholes so deep that they stay in my memory.