Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2020, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allcarbon View Post
Any idea how these still stack up against my Vittoria Corsa 25s with tan sidewalls? Will probably need some new tires in the not too distant future.
Faster and grippier, just like the all black ones
Old 07-14-2020, 06:23 AM

I can't believe tan sidewalls hit 5 pages. We REALLY need some racing going on!
Old 07-14-2020, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
this is a road bike tire. it is not designed to go on your "adventure" bike or beach cruiser.
Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...and, 'Groad' bikes are still a pretty small segment in spite of the marketeers telling you this 'purpose driven type' is a true 'game changer'...
Old 07-14-2020, 06:34 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
I prefer the regular Corsas vs the Controls, but the Controls are great for balancing puncture reisstance and not riding like a Gatorskin.
I was using corsas and then switched the rear to a control after a puncture and tbh saw little difference in comfort or speed but that tire has lasted the longest of any tire I have had in a while, was pretty impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattvagen View Post
the pro move for a high miles training bike is corsa front/corsa control rear. evens out the wear a little and improves the ride a bit over controls front/rear.

IMO.
was running this setup but now on 2 controls.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:41 AM

Well crap, I was actually looking for tan sidewall and I like Contis , just got all a a pair of all black 5000s last week -guess I'll have to buy these too..
Old 07-14-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...
Got that right. The last pre-covid training ride I did had maybe 100 guys on it. Probably not one tire over 25mm. And if you want to magically "convert" the ride of a 25 to 28, let out 3 PSI.
Old 07-14-2020, 06:55 AM

it's too early to tell with these 5000's, but my biggest gripe with the conti tires i have tried over the years is that they dont age well. they seem to develop a sort of dry rot pretty quickly, which always lead to fragile/brittle sidewalls that would come apart, usually at an in opportune time.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Correct, in spite of the "bigger, fatter, more better" noise, the most common tire size on 'ROAD' bikes is 25mm...and, 'Groad' bikes are still a pretty small segment in spite of the marketeers telling you this 'purpose driven type' is a true 'game changer'...
Are you sure? Big gravel events fill up early in their registration process.

Gravel riding is a thing and it’s evolving and continuing to grow. No guarantees it will always be like this but I completely get the appeal: 99% less automobile traffic on many of those roads.
Old 07-14-2020, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
I can't believe tan sidewalls hit 5 pages. We REALLY need some racing going on!
Even harder to believe a thread about tan sidewalls got locked down in the third page. Who knew tan was so controversial?
Old 07-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Are you sure? Big gravel events fill up early in their registration process.

Gravel riding is a thing and it’s evolving and continuing to grow. No guarantees it will always be like this but I completely get the appeal: 99% less automobile traffic on many of those roads.
No doubt but "groad' bikes still a small segment. It is a "thing" and it is 'evolving' or changing, or something but it's being pushed hard by the 'big boys', because the bike market, COVID weirdness aside', is still really flat, has been for years. Other issue is 'many of those 'roads', compared to ass-felt..are comparatively really small in number, often not maintained as well(WASHBOARD!!) and tough to get to..
PLUS, no 'support', like that little general store that you always stop at in Masonville to get a soda and look at the strange stuff for sale.

If 'events' and how they fill up was an indicator..then road riding must be YUGE(it really isn't)..Ride the Rockies(when it was all ass-felt) filed up in a matter of minutes.