Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2018, 10:45 AM

Colnago Master Equilateral worth?

A friend of a friend has a Colnago Master Equilateral that he has had for many years and is wondering how much its worth now. He only sent a few pics of it but maybe someone can shed some light. Thanks!

Old 05-25-2018, 11:53 AM

What its worth

My guess is there is a big disconnect between what its worth and what your friend wants it to be worth.

Looks like its been in storage so I would want to make a more detailed inspection before I would commit to buy that. Is the seatpost frozen, stem??

Ray
Old 05-25-2018, 12:10 PM

I dont think he has any expectations of what it could be worth. It sounds like the owner had his choice of either this or a car when he was 16. He chose this and is trying to get an idea of what it could be worth now. I will ask about the post and stem.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:16 PM

Looks to be in pretty rough shape from the photos. That being said, you could probably find someone (not me) to pay $500-$550 for it as a project.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:46 PM

I think its worth a lot more if one tried to maximize the profit.

Wouldent suprise me if those Modolo Kronos brakes and levers were worth quite a bit of money on their own (tho i dont know that for a fact). Dirty and in poor condition but still nice parts on it and rare frame.
Old 05-25-2018, 12:48 PM

Possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
Looks to be in pretty rough shape from the photos. That being said, you could probably find someone (not me) to pay $500-$550 for it as a project.
I think it would take finding the person that this is a "grail" find to spend $500, too many 'Nagos in better shape for just a little more than that.

But again, if you find the right buyer it might bring that much
Old 05-25-2018, 01:10 PM

Paint looks bad; there may be rust; seized parts per Bentley; chrome may be pitted; the tubing is nothing so special; the earlier curved-leg fork likewise....

Cleaned up, with better, more detailed photos, would "help us help you" a lot more, but I wouldn't be too excited about any mid/high $. Yes, of course a perfect buyer might appear at just the right moment, but $500 seems optimistic from what I see so far.
Old 05-25-2018, 01:50 PM

id bet with a bit of elbow grease could get closer to $1000. Anywhere near Philly? I’d buy for $500 if seatpost and stem are not seized
Old 05-25-2018, 02:00 PM

I bet it would clean up nice. + has the tubular properly stowed. Modolo Kronos brakes? Erm... Weinmann Delta Pro's?

Last edited by wildboar; 05-25-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 08:28 AM

Wow! I bumped into the current owner of this bike a couple of weekends back at the ACL Music Festival here in Austin. They were pulling into one of the bike valet areas with it. Incredible to see an Equilateral in person. It had a bit of paint loss in a few places, but definitely looked cool and original. Not nearly as bad as it looks in these pictures.

I was so impressed that I looked up images for "Master Equilateral" and was surprised to find this thread on the exact bike that I saw (how many Equilaterals could be out there with Campy Super Record era components AND a Kronos brakeset???).

Anyway, a cool, rare bike for sure.

Texbike
Old 10-25-2018, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
Wow! I bumped into the current owner of this bike a couple of weekends back at the ACL Music Festival here in Austin. They were pulling into one of the bike valet areas with it. Incredible to see an Equilateral in person. It had a bit of paint loss in a few places, but definitely looked cool and original. Not nearly as bad as it looks in these pictures.

I was so impressed that I looked up images for "Master Equilateral" and was surprised to find this thread on the exact bike that I saw (how many Equilaterals could be out there with Campy Super Record era components AND a Kronos brakeset???).

Anyway, a cool, rare bike for sure.

Texbike
Awesome! I grew up next door to the owner in NY! Good guy.
Old 07-13-2019, 12:38 PM

Colnago Master Equilateral

My understanding is that very few Equilaterals were made; about 85 frames produced. From what I understand, Ernesto never really liked the design of the bike and it was only made for one year. The vintage bike market is not what it used to be so for a bike in this condition, I would say $800-$1000. I have a full Campy Super Record in silver with hi-lo Campagnolo rear hub. I really like the way the bike rides so for me, it is a keeper.
Old 10-22-2020, 09:15 AM

Colnago equilateral

Is the colnago Equilateral for sale? the price is above 800-1000. a value up to double. If it is for sale or someone else has an equilateral colnago, I leave you my contact. amenabar85@hotmail.com
Thanks
Old 10-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Descent fitness

Welcome to the paceline and a rwo year old thread!
Old 10-23-2020, 12:35 AM

I am super curious to know what happened to this one tho