Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM

Comparable Campy wheels

Ok, I'm sure this has been covered in here but maybe you will all forgive me and revisit a solution for me.

A steel Rock Lobster is inbound this winter and I think I have finally settled on silver Athena for a gruppo. Previously, I had planned on Shimano so I had decided to get a set of Ultegra hubbed Open Pros or DT Swiss 465's.

You can get these wheels pretty reasonably (about $400 or so at Excel Sports) so what are some comparably priced 32 spoke wheels for Campy and where is a good place to get 'em? I haven't spotted as many options for Campy out here in the internets or on The Google. Local bike shops want me to get factory built hoops. I've got two kids and work for Uncle Sugar so please don't suggest some great wheels that go for $850 bones, trying to keep it at 400 or so here, people.

Old Potato, you are a wise wheel man; what say you, shipmate?

Pat

Pat

Last edited by majorpat; 11-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:07 PM

Ribble UK is a good place to start looking at some of the Campys.

Campy Vento, Zonda or Scirocco.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:19 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Campy prebuilts are hard to beat and if you don't like the G3 rear lacing get a comparable Fulcrum. It is hard to build a handbuilt Campy wheel for your price range unless you are doing the building using lower end hubs and probably doing the building yourself. You can get Record hubset from the UK for around $250-275, figure $150 for 2 rims, $60-90 for spokes .... (ask me how I know ; )
Old 11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorpat View Post
Ok, I'm sure this has been covered in here but maybe you will all forgive me and revisit a solution for me.

A steel Rock Lobster is inbound this winter and I think I have finally settled on silver Athena for a gruppo. Previously, I had planned on Shimano so I had decided to get a set of Ultegra hubbed Open Pros or DT Swiss 465's.

You can get these wheels pretty reasonably (about $400 or so at Excel Sports) so what are some comparably priced 32 spoke wheels for Campy and where is a good place to get 'em? I haven't spotted as many options for Campy out here in the internets or on The Google. Local bike shops want me to get factory built hoops. I've got two kids and work for Uncle Sugar so please don't suggest some great wheels that go for $850 bones, trying to keep it at 400 or so here, people.

Old Potato, you are a wise wheel man; what say you, shipmate?

Pat

Pat
Velocity Race hubs and DT 465 are about $490 from my house. Same for Miche hubs.

Little less for A23, about $20.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the info, Peter.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:27 PM

Campy Wheels

I'm looking to make the jump to Campagnolo and am looking at this http://www.ebay.com/itm/110975202055...84.m1423.l2649 but wonder what these wheels are worth. I've looked on ebay and see the wheels going for 200-300 which I why I think I will lose this one. They look older and sadly clinchers. I asked the seller for more details about them, but heard no response. Hopefully no one beats me from here for my posting this, but I understand if so
Old 11-13-2012, 03:07 AM
Not-so-Senior

On my local Craigslist, I have found 2 sets of brand-new Record hubs + Open Pro wheelsets for $300-320. So they're out there, for opportunistic buyers.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:40 AM

A few yrs ago Campy re-did their hubs. Record is still excellent stuff (even if the cosmetics are much worse), but everything below it is felt to be 'not very good', if you can find 'em anywhere.

So there really isn't a Campy equivalent to Ultegra hubs...

Of course, this was their way of pushing folks into their pre-builts.

Check eBay for a set of older generation Chorus or Centaur hubs to build up... or buy a pair of Zondas.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvrider View Post
On my local Craigslist, I have found 2 sets of brand-new Record hubs + Open Pro wheelsets for $300-320. So they're out there, for opportunistic buyers.
Well, your local Craigslist area is one of the Mecca of road cycling in America. IME, of course.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post
A few yrs ago Campy re-did their hubs. Record is still excellent stuff (even if the cosmetics are much worse), but everything below it is felt to be 'not very good', if you can find 'em anywhere.

So there really isn't a Campy equivalent to Ultegra hubs...

Of course, this was their way of pushing folks into their pre-builts.

Check eBay for a set of older generation Chorus or Centaur hubs to build up... or buy a pair of Zondas.
I use a pair of the last generation Centaur hubs for my daily rider. They are the ones with the easily replaceable sealed bearings after 30,000-40,000 miles. Silver...a tad on the cheap looking side (probably made in Taiwan). But they sure work great.....not sure why anyone would avoid them for a commuter or training set of wheels. Nice Campy cassette body, etc. Perfect for use on that bike. They were less than $100 per pair with cassette body and skewers, as I recall. One may not like them, but there is no reason to fear them.

My black Record hubs are lighter, but not much smoother or more durable than the centaurs.

Last edited by Ralph; 11-13-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM

Quote:
One may not like them, but there is no reason to fear them.
Just repeating the 'party line' about the latest version of the Campy hubs.

I have a set of the new gen Veloces on my winter bike, and they've been durable, so my own personal experience has not instilled fear (or loathing).

At any rate, they're damn hard to find anyway...