Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-26-2020, 01:00 PM

Training Question

So if back in the day when winter came "We" would only ride in the small chain ring. now Im old I use a compact crank. so what the hell mell. Im just gonna ride.my fast is most peoples recovery ride.....
Old 11-26-2020, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsimon View Post
So if back in the day when winter came "We" would only ride in the small chain ring. now Im old I use a compact crank. so what the hell mell. Im just gonna ride.my fast is most peoples recovery ride.....
I think the idea was to keep yourself from crushing the big ring too early and tweaking your knee. Also was standard to keep you HR low - so maybe they coincide.
Old 11-26-2020, 01:44 PM

39 x 11 is basically the same as 50 x 14. So if you want follow that old guidance, just stay out of the 11/12/13t cogs and use whatever ring you want.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:24 PM
Shrimp123

Quote:
Im just gonna ride.my fast is most peoples recovery ride.....
as long as you enjoy it more than them....
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
I'd tell you to ride zone 1/2 for most days, but add one day/week of efforts just to stay somewhat sharp

'Training' for me starts in early Feb for the (hopefully it happens next year) Hilly Billy Roubaix. The goal is low-5hr-ish

M
Old 11-26-2020, 09:16 PM

This time of year I spin, Z2 stuff mainly. Every once in a while I'll go out with the boys to hit it. In the Spring move into Z3/4.

That said, I looks like 2021 will be written off before it begins. Races I'd registered for several months ago are refunding fees. So, keep spinning.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:19 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellgate View Post
This time of year I spin, Z2 stuff mainly. Every once in a while I'll go out with the boys to hit it. In the Spring move into Z3/4.

That said, I looks like 2021 will be written off before it begins. Races I'd registered for several months ago are refunding fees. So, keep spinning.
I stopped training when they cancelled this year's Hilly Billy

I really stopped giving a rat's behind about training when they cancelled CX season. Not saying I'm not riding and running (when I'm not down with a twisted ankle) for my sanity, but I'm not doing the efforts needed to stay fast.

M
Old 11-26-2020, 10:24 PM

I did Walden's camp one winter in central Florida. It was usually in the upper 30s in the am and 50s in the afternoon. We weren't allowed to use our big ring and I even got flak because my small ring was a 42. Not getting tendonitis was the reason we were given. We rode in a double paceline that was constantly rotating so we held pretty decent speed. I had some tendonitis after a team ride of 110 miles in cold rain, in the small ring.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:23 AM

Training only in the small chain ring is old school before heart Rate and power meters. You train in zones to get the physiological response you want. If you are not racing you should ride the way you feel and have fun doing it.

Last edited by rockdude; 11-27-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:24 AM

Yea, and all of that only in the small ring is old wives tales crap. So go ahead and use the 50.
Old 11-27-2020, 08:39 AM

A heart rate monitor is like 25$. If you want to train just use that. Cadence monitor is also really affordable if you want to keep your cadence up without going too deep.