Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2023, 05:30 AM

One thing I think is happening-- the truncated screen on a phone excludes whatever you have may written for your ad copy--so people see the pre-filled fields, price and little else. So any warnings you add in your own copy are pretty much useless.

A similar thing happens with FB and with forums viewed through Tapatalk or apps on your phone -- you see an abbreviated set of comments, not the whole thread. It would be comical if it weren't so annoying (especially on FB) where I hang to read some 'Nostalgic' sites--a picture or location will get figured out, then there will be another round of debate, resolution, and (sometimes) the same conclusion... Rinse repeat.

Technology is training us not to read...
Old 05-23-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I did not say I was not sending it to the winner. I am. I’m older, grouchy, retired and away from home visiting family and I have zero time on my hands. It seems like since I retired I cannot get done everything I want to accomplish in a day.

Yes I have the auction item with me but to take extra time away from my family since I head home Wednesday after my grand daughters 3rd birthday does not set well with me.

I could wait to ship after I get home and have a full schedule of things to do when I get home such as lawn care and some since I have been gone over two weeks.

Yes I continue to vent!
So if I have this straight, you have the item on your person and whoever bought it, you would have to mail it to them anyway. So,what we are talking about is that you don't have "time" to fill out one form. Do I have that correct?

Then there is this topic of time, you don't have enough of it. Yet, here you are on Paceline using your precocious time ranting about people becoming stupider. If time is so important to you because of other commitments maybe selling items online is not the best use of that time.

Have fun with your granddaughter on her birthday (that has to be one of the world's greatest gifts, I am envious) and get off the lawn and stop yelling at clouds.

You say this is about people being stupider, which I disagree with. People are getting more selfish and think rules don't apply to them is the issue. Selling online brings its own set of difficulties and you have to decide is it worth it to you. Yes, I know you are saying these things in jest, with a little bit of truth, the world can be frustrating and funny at the same time.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:37 AM

Curious as a non-US user here - I thought that Guam was part of the US (as an external territory)? I get that shipping rates would be different given that it's not part of the lower 48, but aside from the cost, what difference is there in posting it to Guam than to any other state?
Old 05-23-2023, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT3 View Post
I sold something listed as an US only auction. Put in my ad all in caps DO NOT BID IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A US MAILING ADDRESS. Just had an auction end today that someone in Guam was the high bidder. Can people not read? The postage is not terrible and I do know Guam was or used to be an US territory but damn! This has happened many times to me.

I’m just venting. Please feel free to throw rocks.
Ironic for someone to call others stupid when they don't know what a double negative is...
Old 05-23-2023, 06:07 AM

I think the OP answered his own question.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:22 AM

Darn clouds!!!
Old 05-23-2023, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
I think the OP answered his own question.
Yes, and not to pile on, but is this not the best representation of all that is wrong in todays world?

And yes, the sentence structure is intentional.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:26 AM

Honestly if WRITING SOMETHING IN ALL CAPS does not work I would be near ready to give up on humanity

SPP
Old 05-23-2023, 06:39 AM
Administrator

lol.

it is fine to vent, but this is truly a first world problem!

why was selling this item so important that you would need to drag it along on a family trip anyway?

---

to the question: i buy a lot of stuff on ebay, but never sell. as a seller, can you restrict who can bid by country?

For example, as a seller here in NJ, can ebay automatically lock out bidders in India?

I guess as an ebay buyer, I always assumed that if I could bid on an item (or BIN) tthen the seller agreed to ship it to my listed location. I do see a lot of stuff being sold in Japan and various European locations that appear in my feed, and I just bought a bike jersey from Italy (private party seller) with no issues.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:42 AM

Guam is a US colony. The people who live there are US citizens. I think USPS ships flat rate items there for the same price. I know most Americans don’t know about our colonies but we have a few and they are part of the US so I don’t think the bidder was stupid, it seems to me like the OP is the…. Well….. Uneducated party here.
Old 05-23-2023, 06:43 AM
quadropheniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V View Post
Lower 48 next time.
Good advice if the OP is particular about limiting his/her market, because Guam does have a US postal code, mail to Guam is considered domestic, as is mail to the possessions, territories and freely associated states in the link. A little bit of internet research can be humbling.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-...dered-Domestic
Old 05-23-2023, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
lol.

it is fine to vent, but this is truly a first world problem!

why was selling this item so important that you would need to drag it along on a family trip anyway?

---

to the question: i buy a lot of stuff on ebay, but never sell. as a seller, can you restrict who can bid by country?

For example, as a seller here in NJ, can ebay automatically lock out bidders in India?

I guess as an ebay buyer, I always assumed that if I could bid on an item (or BIN) tthen the seller agreed to ship it to my listed location. I do see a lot of stuff being sold in Japan and various European locations that appear in my feed, and I just bought a bike jersey from Italy (private party seller) with no issues.
You can’t lock them out. But I often make it clear: Continental US Bids only. I will also add the comment “If not continental US and still interested, please contact me to discuss”.

I try to use clear and unambiguous language on this subject. If someone is still interested I am ready to discuss but since I usually have a fixed shipping fee I want to be sure we both understand what’s involved. So far almost no bad experiences.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fijichf View Post
Good advice if the OP is particular about limiting his/her market, because Guam does have a US postal code, mail to Guam is considered domestic, as is mail to the possessions, territories and freely associated states in the link. A little bit of internet research can be humbling.

https://faq.usps.com/s/article/What-...dered-Domestic
From what they wrote it seems the appropriate answer. It’s their sale. I feel let them sell it how they want. We all have our reasons.
Old 05-23-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero85ZEN View Post
Simply put “shipping ONLY to Conti USA” in your listings.
That will avoid misunderstandings, it will not, however, prevent bidders that don’t bother to read the full listing. Or those that just don’t care. Some people just want to watch the world burn….
I do that. Yet some yahoo bought a heavy two piece Proton table radio from me and asked me to ship it to the Virgin Islands at my stated shipping cost. Then gave me negative feedback when I refused and relisted the items.

I try to avoid shipping internationally as it's usually a lot more paperwork and typically requires a visit to the shipping store or post office. Just not worth it...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-23-2023, 07:05 AM

I've sold lots of stuff on ebay. Always put continental US only in my listings. Had two things sell to buyers in Puerto Rico. One was an expensive handbag. I shipped them there anyway. No big deal.