Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-27-2023, 03:50 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmrt View Post
i'll tag along on the game as well.

as i do not care too much about sub compact gearing, i just hope that it looks not as bulky as Sram AXS, is lighter, and reliable. my sram xx1 axs RD had "issues" that are somewhat well documented. but this is not a sram bashing thread now, is it?
Naming the gearing isnt as relevant as what you get in jumps between gears and in total gear inches...

The new stuff gives you options that exceed 53-11 in output, and does so with a relatively tight ratio (and the ability to climb a tree on the other end...).

Dropping to a 10 and changing the front end is where I would guess everything goes... It open up ratio options better than any system with an 11 as the smallest cog.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Excited for new Campag sub-compact options. Does this mean a new BCD or is the current Chorus cranks BCD kept?

As always I’ll be waiting for trickle down tech. $1k cranks are not in my spending sphere.
Old 05-27-2023, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
LOL, I'm just saying, the price is higher for a group than $4800 Euros... If that guess was in Euro's, you would be the first-ish in the ballpark.
Thanks for sharing what you are able to. I haven’t dipped my toes in any electronic shifting yet, but run Campag on most of my bikes. The expected price doesn’t shock or offend me. I’m in the camp of thinking it’s worth it if that is what you want on your bike. Plenty of other options if not. Excited to see it released and hope I’m able to try it out at some point.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Naming the gearing isnt as relevant as what you get in jumps between gears and in total gear inches...

The new stuff gives you options that exceed 53-11 in output, and does so with a relatively tight ratio (and the ability to climb a tree on the other end...).
SRAM tried to claim this with their AXS drivetrains, but it turns out they were just playing with the numbers to make it look better. They claimed a wider range of gearing AND smaller jumps between gears, but mathematically that's impossible. And if you looked at the actual ratios, it turned out that for the same range of gearing, they had BIGGER jumps between gear ratios. And to top it all off, when you compare equivalent gear ratios, the AXS with smaller chainring/sprockets to more traditional sized chainring/sprockets, all the small chainring/sprocket gears will have more power losses. This is why I predicted that the pro teams would be using traditional size chainrings/sprockets with WRL shifting systems.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:14 PM

I'm prepared to be underwhelmed, and a little sad about it

There's some strong competition

Quote:
Why use caps when you offer nothing... not even a real complaint.

All info is under embargo but that is lifted... next week - so you can offer more specific critical speculation.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:25 PM

Don't bust on J and B, they're still standing and have plenty of stuff...they answer the phone, great b2b site and don't have Universal Cycles setting up shop next to their warehouses. Reeeeeally good to their dealers during Covid. Hawley a close second, Q a distant 3rd. Things have kinda changed

Surprised Gita is even listed anymore. Their open houses were the bomb back in the day for cash and carry treasures. Slightly scuffed Merckx, anyone?

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/sales_network

Don't really consider Campy USA an option, it's a coffee klatch that's been doing the same thing since at least the Carter admin...or so it seems

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Driving around the republic and Denver, I've seen only one Aprilia, never seen a MV Augusta. Saw a new manufacture Norton yesterday..really sweet. Gee in the wild too.

I guess those guys are on the brink of going under, since I don't see many....

Yikes, another example of US distributors doing the thinking' for ya. RE-a LBS saying that rim brake Campagnolo and Fulcrum wheels 'out of production'..
Nope, US distributors do not the market make.

Be patient grasshopper, all will be revealed soon. Then you will have something to 'complain' about.

'QBP and Junk and Bargins'...Hawley is just 'ok' but teeny in the 'grand scheme of things'..they aren't on the 'A' list of distribution for Campag neither is J&B.

Ya new here?
Old 05-28-2023, 06:44 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
SRAM tried to claim this with their AXS drivetrains, but it turns out they were just playing with the numbers to make it look better. They claimed a wider range of gearing AND smaller jumps between gears, but mathematically that's impossible. And if you looked at the actual ratios, it turned out that for the same range of gearing, they had BIGGER jumps between gear ratios. And to top it all off, when you compare equivalent gear ratios, the AXS with smaller chainring/sprockets to more traditional sized chainring/sprockets, all the small chainring/sprocket gears will have more power losses. This is why I predicted that the pro teams would be using traditional size chainrings/sprockets with WRL shifting systems.
Shocking!!
sram is run by ad copy editors...

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-28-2023 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 06:53 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
Don't bust on J and B, they're still standing and have plenty of stuff...they answer the phone, great b2b site and don't have Universal Cycles setting up shop next to their warehouses. Reeeeeally good to their dealers during Covid. Hawley a close second, Q a distant 3rd. Things have kinda changed

Surprised Gita is even listed anymore. Their open houses were the bomb back in the day for cash and carry treasures. Slightly scuffed Merckx, anyone?

https://www.campagnolo.com/US/en/Support/sales_network

Don't really consider Campy USA an option, it's a coffee klatch that's been doing the same thing since at least the Carter admin...or so it seems
I get lots of rims and stuff from the J&B warehouse in Denver. I've known that crew for decades. If ya want a Wald kickstand, they are the bomb. BUT bike shops have been calling them 'Junk and Bargains' for as long as I've been in the bike biz...about 1992...

Gita hasn't been the same since Frasier left. Neither has Ochsner since Rudy left..things change.
QBP can KMA, they screwed me and a buddy. As Lemond said about Chaipucci, 'I don't wish them well'....

'It seems', I guess, Campag, NA. I talk to Jerry 1-2 times or more every week.
He's never mentioned coffee or 'klatching' once.

Oh well, Campagnolo will release SR wireless..it has sram scurrying about. It will work, it will not involve consumer beta testing nor a recall. It will work and like even a stainless Rolex Datejust, it'll be premium and sell very, very well.
And be expensive..Kinda like a Grand Seiko but most would rather have the DateJust.

'Premium' and say, Yamaha, or Toyota, or Seiko, or....just doesn't roll off the tongue as well as
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1faa49adaba05d029efa9421579aa597--history-campagnolo.jpg (24.3 KB, 280 views)

Last edited by oldpotatoe; 05-28-2023 at 06:57 AM.
Old 05-28-2023, 07:56 AM
send me the twizzlers yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Shocking!!
sram is run by add copy editors...
I think you mean ad copy editors.
But add might be a better choice.
Old 05-28-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post
I'm prepared to be underwhelmed, and a little sad about it

There's some strong competition
I'm prepared to be totally and completely excited, and to eye my finances for a purchase. For a wireless setup with no DOT fluid involved, there is no competition.
Old 05-29-2023, 03:43 AM

From the perspective of someone who won't (sensibly) be able to afford it, I'm interested, in the sense that it looks like Campagnolo will be offering something very modern. If the rumours are true, then something fully wireless, with detachable batteries and more compact ratios, will be a very distinct departure from what they have offered before. It'll be interesting to see how the market receives it and what trickle-down there is, in what timescale.
Old 05-29-2023, 10:53 AM

bye bye thumb shifter

latest photo posted by Campagnolo on their FB page shows that the thumb shifter is no more...

https://scontent.fewr1-5.fna.fbcdn.n...-A&oe=6479B856
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 350031724_168879899237626_931863368260237346_n.jpg (89.5 KB, 135 views)
Old 05-29-2023, 11:04 AM

Flesh-colored tights, yikes! Maybe they'll make a 'skin-suit' version...

Last edited by Gwerziou; 05-29-2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-29-2023, 11:06 AM

There is also a photo of the boxes floating around that indicates 12 speed is getting a quick link.
Old 05-29-2023, 02:53 PM

Went to Campagnolo site and did not see Centaur

is 11 speed over with? Maybe this needs a new topic.

https://www.campagnolo.com/us-en/roa...cal-groupsets/

Last edited by dana_e; 05-29-2023 at 03:00 PM.