Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2023, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
But this is a bicycle company we're talking about. Once the figure out that users might be able to "update" to the new gearing by simply replacing their chainrings instead of buying a whole new groupset, they'll probably come up with some new proprietary "standard" to prevent that.
Either that or two spare chainrings will cost the same as a complete crankset. Which in turn will cost near half the price of a complete groupset.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:06 AM

I wonder how campy is going to the app environment of wireless kits?

Imagining AOL cds and flip phones, but we'll see. Kinda curious
Old 05-25-2023, 06:26 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutgallery View Post

HA, pretty funny, You do know that Campagnolo had computer connectivity with EPS before sram, right?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2016/03/...-my-campy-app/

But Campagnolo thread so gotta throw them stones, eh?
Old 05-25-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:

It can’t be any worse than Shimano’s app, which is terrible.
Old 05-25-2023, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg8357 View Post

Good news, Rene Herse Nivex is the new Tiagra.
If the RH Nivex could be operated by a decent shifter mounted anywhere on the handlebar I'd go for it. I'm just never going to be a downtube shifting enthusiast after a life spent using ergopower.
Old 05-25-2023, 02:43 PM
PezTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
HA, pretty funny, You do know that Campagnolo had computer connectivity with EPS before sram, right?

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2016/03/...-my-campy-app/

But Campagnolo thread so gotta throw them stones, eh?
Best part... Not even knowing what to throw at...
Old 05-25-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
It can’t be any worse than Shimano’s app, which is terrible.
But, but..... that's OK because they aren't Campagnolo.
Old 05-25-2023, 06:23 PM
PezTech

The app is simple, relatively complete.
It doesnt try to become a metaverse...
Old 05-25-2023, 10:00 PM

I want to be excited...but I'm not. In a trust but verify stage with campy. Believe it when I see it, given the track record...could be a while. They sorta blew it with the ekar rollout, same peeps involved. Same US distribution setup. Didn't see it for over a year and then it was on sale and they had more than they could sell. Anticipating more of the same. Heresy? Maybe. Been their bugaboo for a while

Believe it when I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles M View Post
Best part... Not even knowing what to throw at...
Old 05-26-2023, 06:24 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
I want to be excited...but I'm not. In a trust but verify stage with campy. Believe it when I see it, given the track record...could be a while. They sorta blew it with the ekar rollout, same peeps involved. Same US distribution setup. Didn't see it for over a year and then it was on sale and they had more than they could sell. Anticipating more of the same. Heresy? Maybe. Been their bugaboo for a while

Believe it when I see it
Not heresy but 'willful ignorance'? 'Track Record'..not sure I get that. First to 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s...Sell all they make, including EKAR. US distribution is a mess for all 3 makers, even sram....and shimano.
Last with road disc, then recognized as the leader in the field..no consumer beta testing followed by gigantic recalls and swaps(remember magic Mektronic?...same for sram).
How about wheels? I guess we'll ignore any Campagnolo wheel threads about how people like 'em or...not(?).
Gee, more than a few OE MTBs with Fulcrum wheels...how many sram rigs with shimano wheels or vice versa with zipp(no problems there).

But, sure, Campagnolo thread, gotta throw stones, like I said..Gee, so many want Campagnolo to be just like shimano or sram and when they aren't?Bugaboo(whatever that means).

I guess some want Ducati to be just like Yamaha or Rolex to be just like Seiko...or
or.....glad they aren't and I'm glad Campagnolo is Campagnolo, not shimano or even..........sram....

-Out
Old 05-26-2023, 07:13 AM

Remember when 9-speed seemed impossibly narrow and how will this work? It won’t stay adjusted, I think 7 is plenty. Good golly, 6 is more than enough. Kids these days!
Old 05-26-2023, 08:20 AM
Forward the Foundation

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Remember when 9-speed seemed impossibly narrow and how will this work? It won’t stay adjusted, I think 7 is plenty. Good golly, 6 is more than enough. Kids these days!
WTB: 4 Speed freewheels.

From True Grit, the good old days.

LaBoeuf : You're lucky to be where water's so handy. I've seen the time I've drank out of a filthy hoofprint - and was glad to get it.
Rooster Cogburn : If ever I meet one of you Texas waddies who ain't drunk water from a hoofprint, I think I'll... I'll shake their hand or buy 'em a Daniel Webster cigar.
Old 05-26-2023, 11:24 AM

You actually see a Rolex in the wild. Modern campy, not so much. Unfortunate

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Not heresy but 'willful ignorance'? 'Track Record'..not sure I get that. First to 9s, 10s, 11s, 12s, 13s...Sell all they make, including EKAR. US distribution is a mess for all 3 makers, even sram....and shimano.
Last with road disc, then recognized as the leader in the field..no consumer beta testing followed by gigantic recalls and swaps(remember magic Mektronic?...same for sram).
How about wheels? I guess we'll ignore any Campagnolo wheel threads about how people like 'em or...not(?).
Gee, more than a few OE MTBs with Fulcrum wheels...how many sram rigs with shimano wheels or vice versa with zipp(no problems there).

But, sure, Campagnolo thread, gotta throw stones, like I said..Gee, so many want Campagnolo to be just like shimano or sram and when they aren't?Bugaboo(whatever that means).

I guess some want Ducati to be just like Yamaha or Rolex to be just like Seiko...or
or.....glad they aren't and I'm glad Campagnolo is Campagnolo, not shimano or even..........sram....

-Out
Old 05-26-2023, 11:44 AM
PezTech

Quote:

Believe it when I see it

Believe what? What's your specific pain point?

Could be a while? You'll have a flood of info in a few days. (I know the groups are in OE hands - Aftermarket to follow)

And Ekar? Was and is selling very well (with US distribution/adoption doing the bulk of the heavy lifting internationally). That you didn't see it doesnt mean it didn't exist, That stuff rolled out relatively smoothly.

I like how Sold Out is a fail but then proper inventory and a sale price (which pretty much every manufacturer does) also means it's not selling well.

This is pretty much the definition of not knowing what to throw at...

You literally don't know what you don't like, but you're sure (but not excited) about it...

Though you will... Next week. (but then again you wont really because you wont have hands on info but rather just more general distaste, about gearing, probably aesthetics or Price or....)
Old 05-26-2023, 11:58 AM

This just posted on FB.

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0214.jpg (86.5 KB, 161 views)