Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2023, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kirk View Post
There's two separate but related things going on here -

- the X factor here is where the framebuilder put the brake bridge. One might understandably assume that the location of the bridge is standardized and precise and neither is true. The builder could place the bridge low so that the pads are far up in the slots and this would limit tire room. Or...the builder may place the bridge higher so that the pads are near the bottom of the slot and there would be room for a taller/wider tire. The brake would be the same but the effective tire room would be different. This is because as tires get wider (the number we always reference) they also get taller (hardly ever talked about) and the location of the brake bridge and where it holds the caliper relative to the rim is the thing that matters.

- most rim brakes will easily allow for a 32ish mm tire to go in and out of the brake. That said you'll need to open your brake and measure it. There's a simple hack that will allow you to add room between the pads if you need more room.

I hope that makes sense.

dave
Another issue is the rim width relative to the tire width. Even with something like the Sram Force calipers that have loads of room for 32+ tires, if you're running a 32mm tire on a 19mm external rim, the release on the brake isn't going to open enough. On the other hand, running 32mm+ tires on 28mm wide rims should be fine on most calipers that can handle a tire that big.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:02 PM

Not sure what this thread is doing in the classified section, but it's interesting.

I was just talking about this very subject with a buddy on the Forum. Has anyone run an ENVE rim brake fork with DA 9100 brakes and 30c tires? I'd be interested in hearing about that.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Not sure what this thread is doing in the classified section, but it's interesting.

I was just talking about this very subject with a buddy on the Forum. Has anyone run an ENVE rim brake fork with DA 9100 brakes and 30c tires? I'd be interested in hearing about that.
Probably won't work. The brake doesn't really matter, but the Enve fork really doesn't have room for anything bigger than a true 28. I have a 28 (measure 27.5) tire on my Enve fork with a Dura Ace 9000 brake, and there's about 3mm of clearance everywhere. Will hit the brake at about the same point as it hits the fork.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
Probably won't work. The brake doesn't really matter, but the Enve fork really doesn't have room for anything bigger than a true 28. I have a 28 (measure 27.5) tire on my Enve fork with a Dura Ace 9000 brake, and there's about 3mm of clearance everywhere. Will hit the brake at about the same point as it hits the fork.
I was under the same impression. ENVE is very conservative with their tolerances. They list 25c max on their site, which is due to the Conti GP 5000 (28c) if I remember correctly.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:19 PM

Quote:

Enve 2.0 straight 1-1/8" with DA9100 brakes has clearance for roughly 28mm actual width, 24-25mm actual height. 4mm clearance if you're lucky, which really is the min I'd go with for a fork. As others stated it's really the fork's limitation, not the brake caliper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
I don't have any SRAM brake calipers, but do have several sets of Ultegra and DA and I've just checked and they have absolutely no cleanser, in fact, they're kinda dirty.
Self cleaning rim brakes are the next frontier of bike tech, just like self-cleaning lubes
Old 05-22-2023, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
Enve 2.0 straight 1-1/8" with DA9100 brakes has clearance for roughly 28mm actual width, 24-25mm actual height. 4mm clearance if you're lucky, which really is the min I'd go with for a fork. As others stated it's really the fork's limitation, not the brake caliper.

Self cleaning rim brakes are the next frontier of bike tech, just like self-cleaning lubes
I was actually thinking about the tapered rim brake fork. Should’ve clarified.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:40 PM

Quote:

I had this setup w/ DA 9000 on a Stoemper and it worked, but the clearance wasn't a ton. The real limiter was actually the arm on the front derailleur, which rubbed on the tire when in the big ring, so I replaced it with the 9100 FD and it worked well.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:46 PM

Here's a 700x30 Conti GP5k under a DA9100 brake. Tons of room, but that's also because this frame positions the brake bridge to max out the reach of the brake.

Old 05-22-2023, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1k View Post
Here's a 700x30 Conti GP5k under a DA9100 brake. Tons of room, but that's also because this frame positions the brake bridge to max out the reach of the brake.

What’s the clearance in front? With what fork?
Old 05-22-2023, 03:55 PM

Quote:
What’s the clearance in front? With what fork?
If you want more fork clearance, for a straight steerer fork go with Ritchey or Falz. For tapered fork, go with Moots, No. 6, or Columbus.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:02 PM

Quote:
If you want more fork clearance, for a straight steerer fork go with Ritchey or Falz. For tapered fork, go with Moots, No. 6, or Columbus.
I actually have a No.6 fork on my No. 22. I think a 30c tire would be pushing it.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I actually have a No.6 fork on my No. 22. I think a 30c tire would be pushing it.
Then go with Moots.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Then go with Moots.
That option wouldn’t work for my bike, but possibly for others. The 50mm rake fork is permanently sold out. No data on tire clearance.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That option wouldn’t work for my bike, but possibly for others. The 50mm rake fork is permanently sold out. No data on tire clearance.
Moots fork with 31mm (measured) tire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230522_213226196.jpg (39.4 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-22-2023, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Thread moved to GD.

I agree here with what David Kirk said. Some frames can happily do wider tires with short reach bikes, some can not. There are minor gains to be had from different caliper designs, but it mostly comes down to how the frame/fork was designed.