Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-15-2023, 08:57 AM
50 bpm

Quote:
In the light of the latest developments concerning positive tests results on some riders, the Direction of the Giro d’Italia informs that wearing a face mask will be compulsory in all areas of contact with the riders. The areas in which the obligation will be enforced include, but are not limited to:

• team buses parking (at the start and at the finish);
• signature check podium area;
• prize ceremony podium area;
• post-race mixed zone;
• finish line area;
• press conference area;
• anti-doping control area.
Better late the never.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
You can't believe anything you read, or see, when it comes to pro cycling. My guess is Remco abandoning was preplanned 2 weeks ago when Pog went down. They smelled a chance at a Le Tour win and used the Giro for training. No way Lefevre is giving his rider a "voluntary" COVID test when he's going to win the Giro otherwise.
This is some high level conspiracy. I even raised the point of him racing the tour in this thread. But I don't think it will happen. Remco would want the best possible run at his first tour and I don't think this is the way he will do it.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:44 AM
50 bpm

Only one 22k ITT in the Tour this year, to Combloux on Stage 16. We get to ride the course in the morning. Not long enough or flat enough for Remco, but it’ll probably fry me.
Old 05-15-2023, 09:54 AM
Deconditioned!

Remco leaving the race is lame. Covid is super lame.

All the Covid drama aside, it's something I still take seriously. For my own selfish reasons, I still mask and take precautions in advance of things I really don't want to miss. I have an organized gravel weekend coming up. I'll be masking this week if I'm in close quarters. Covid has changed my behaviors...even in dealing with cold/flu season. Before, I sometimes caught whatever was floating around the office. Getting sick (in any variety) sucks. These days, I take precautions because I'm selfish and don't want to be sick. If I were a GT rider, I'd likely take precautions too. I would hate to not be able to race as a result of getting sick.

TBH, I'm one of those that thought the entire debacle was a bit over-sold. I trust the govn't (whether R or D) 0%....on pretty much everything.

The reality is that we don't really know how, why, or what it does to us. Even to healthy folks. I was "lucky" in that I caught it and, thankfully, was fine within a few weeks. No lingering effects. My (pregnant and MD (read as very anxious about the whole enchilada)) and 3 year old just got over Covid. Wife (and baby) are fine. My 3 year old has developed a nighttime cough that keeps him, and the rest of of us awake. This cough has been going for well over a month now. I got out of bed 3 times last night to help him.

TL/DR: we don't really know what's up with this bug.

Riding with Covid is no joke. I tried it. It went poorly. Back to Remco: this very well could be some gamesmanship....like the aforementioned "saddle sore" issue of the 90s.
Old 05-15-2023, 10:40 AM

Much as this sucks for those of us hoping to watch a 3-4 way shootout, it doubtless sucks more for Remco.

Withdrawing him has to be a sensible decision in view of the highly variable short and long term effects of the virus, not to mention the likely impact of even a mild (generic, non-Covid) illness on performing at this level.

I hope he makes a full and speedy recovery and the race doesn't come down to who can stay healthy for another fortnight.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
This is some high level conspiracy. I even raised the point of him racing the tour in this thread. But I don't think it will happen. Remco would want the best possible run at his first tour and I don't think this is the way he will do it.
Sorry, but anyone who takes Patrick Lefevere at face value is a gullible idiot. COVID or not, he was pulling out of the Giro.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but anyone who takes Patrick Lefevere at face value is a gullible idiot. COVID or not, he was pulling out of the Giro.
I don't have to believe Patrick Lefevre. Remco would not pull out of or be pulled out of a Giro which was essentially tailored as an invitation for him regardless of the status of Tadej Pogacar's wrist, one in which he already had the pink jersey, and one in which QS as a team had already committed most of their best GC support riders.
Old 05-15-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Also his team is really lacking, he deserves better. Not sure why they cannot come up with better riders. Van Wilder is the best they have and he is getting dropped on the climbs while Inoes still has 4 or 5 riders. Not personally bashing the riders on the team, but they are not getting the job done for whatever reason. It looks to me like Inoeos will probably win with either G or Tao.
Roglic could pull it off but the best of his team are being saved for TDF.
Old 05-15-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
You can't believe anything you read, or see, when it comes to pro cycling. My guess is Remco abandoning was preplanned 2 weeks ago when Pog went down. They smelled a chance at a Le Tour win and used the Giro for training. No way Lefevre is giving his rider a "voluntary" COVID test when he's going to win the Giro otherwise.
This is another take that is divorced from reality, the Giro was literally scripted for Remco with 70km of TT kilometres (and the most since 2013), while the Tour has less than 30km of TT's.

As noted at length by myself and others, there were enough hints in the drop in performance and appearance of Remco to indicate that he was not feeling well after the TT.

I would bet a considerable sum of money, or a Pegoretti if you have one, that Remco doesn't go to the Tour. And I'm not a betting man, I just want a Peg.
Old 05-15-2023, 07:11 PM
what's a little rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
And I'm not a betting man, I just want a Peg.
Makes sense. Was not expecting that!
Old 05-16-2023, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimoots View Post
This is another take that is divorced from reality, the Giro was literally scripted for Remco with 70km of TT kilometres (and the most since 2013), while the Tour has less than 30km of TT's.

As noted at length by myself and others, there were enough hints in the drop in performance and appearance of Remco to indicate that he was not feeling well after the TT.

I would bet a considerable sum of money, or a Pegoretti if you have one, that Remco doesn't go to the Tour. And I'm not a betting man, I just want a Peg.
I think your US Postal jersey is a little too tight there, partner. The TT's were added for Ganna. He's, you know, Italian. They favor guys from there in the Giro. RE crashed several times and he raced a number of days in the cold and rain. My point is that if Lefevere didn't have a Plan B, Remco isn't taking a voluntary covid test and he's not dropping out of the Giro. It was a calculated decision.
And no, I, like most, don't read your derogatory, condescending, and pompous posts. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 05-16-2023, 04:36 PM

I have to disagree with your take.
While the TT's are nice for Ganna, they were very much scripted and put into the Giro to entice Remco to come to the Giro.
The Giro has really struggled to get the A list GC riders these last few years, if you look at the the winners these last few years, they are certainly great riders, but not guys that are the top tier GC riders.
These are the most TT's miles/kilometers since 2013 (I believe) and it was very much done to get Remco to come and race it.

BTW this isn't only my take I have heard this from a number of well respected cycling journalists.
Old 05-16-2023, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
I have to disagree with your take.
While the TT's are nice for Ganna, they were very much scripted and put into the Giro to entice Remco to come to the Giro.
The Giro has really struggled to get the A list GC riders these last few years, if you look at the the winners these last few years, they are certainly great riders, but not guys that are the top tier GC riders.
These are the most TT's miles/kilometers since 2013 (I believe) and it was very much done to get Remco to come and race it.

BTW this isn't only my take I have heard this from a number of well respected cycling journalists.
This is it.

GT organizers don’t build their routes to suit favored riders for stage wins - especially TT stages. They’re interested in prestigious GC winners. Such riders reflect glory on the race and enhance it.

Ganna could have won every TT stage and in 18 months few would remember.
Old 05-16-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:
I think your US Postal jersey is a little too tight there, partner. The TT's were added for Ganna. He's, you know, Italian. They favor guys from there in the Giro. RE crashed several times and he raced a number of days in the cold and rain. My point is that if Lefevere didn't have a Plan B, Remco isn't taking a voluntary covid test and he's not dropping out of the Giro. It was a calculated decision.
And no, I, like most, don't read your derogatory, condescending, and pompous posts. Sorry to burst your bubble.
If you're not prepared to bet a Peg then I guess the discussion ends here
Old 05-16-2023, 10:57 PM

This seems a little much. It is the Giro not the Tour.

Jeff