Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-24-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinzerniner View Post
A lot of personal bias crammed into that statement Charles.

Watch the replay again. His shot was blocked with a bit of time left, so if it went in the basket it would have counted. So there was factually enough time left for James to drive to the basket and take the shot if the layup wasn't available.

SHOCKING that the Lakers would want their unequivocal best player, who'd already put up 40 points, taking the last shot of the game.
(sarcasm off)

Reaves played great the entire postseason run, but it would have taken more time for James to drive the basket to collapse the D, then kick out to Reaves if he was indeed open, then for Reaves to take the shot then vs what actually happened. But if you look at that last possession Reaves wasn't moving to get open at all.

In fact the last 2 LA possessions were both a mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77y...ab_channel=NBA

If anything, the second to last possession was the real disaster. Look at the setup - two LA guys trying to run a crisscross screen at the top end up running into each other, and the two wing players are just standing in the corners. Later on in the corner where Reaves is it looks like they're trying to do a switch but again the signals get crossed. Then when it's finally setup for Reaves in the corner, it's an easy read with very little time left on the clock. And on the inbounds after the tip ball, it's a two-man give and go without anyone screening for Reaves - even if James gave the ball back to Reaves his shot would have been tightly contested or blocked since it's obvious he was going to take it as soon as he had the ball. So James has to take a miserable shot that hits the side of the backboard. This is terrible tactical setup by the Coach and terrible improvisation by the players. Maybe the players were dead tired by that point and it took a toll mentally.

He's still The King. He gets to take the last shot. End of story.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
He's still The King. He gets to take the last shot. End of story.
I agree, it's got to be James. But even the best need some help and whatever the Lakers designed didn't provide much space or any plausible kickout targets. Not that it mattered. Once Jokic hit the one-legged three, it was clear who owned the court that night.

Last edited by Jaybee; 05-24-2023 at 12:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:59 PM

All four games the Lakers fell apart in the final minutes. Even game 1, mounting that huge comeback, it just fell flat. Didn't feel like anyone's heart was truly in it the way it seemed during the Golden State series.
Old 05-24-2023, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemenohpee View Post
All four games the Lakers fell apart in the final minutes. Even game 1, mounting that huge comeback, it just fell flat. Didn't feel like anyone's heart was truly in it the way it seemed during the Golden State series.
Or maybe, just maybe, the 1 seed Nuggets that ran the Western Conference for the entire season are a much tougher opponent than an aging W's who never seemed to get on the same page from a chemistry standpoint. The W's tried to tell us they didn't give a **** all season, and we still pretended like they were the same squad that hoisted the OBrien last summer.
Old 05-24-2023, 03:45 PM

Quote:
A lot of personal bias crammed into that statement Charles.

Watch the replay again. His shot was blocked with a bit of time left, so if it went in the basket it would have counted. So there was factually enough time left for James to drive to the basket and take the shot if the layup wasn't available.

SHOCKING that the Lakers would want their unequivocal best player, who'd already put up 40 points, taking the last shot of the game.
(sarcasm off)
Reaves played great the entire postseason run, but it would have taken more time for James to drive the basket to collapse the D, then kick out to Reaves if he was indeed open, then for Reaves to take the shot then vs what actually happened. But if you look at that last possession Reaves wasn't moving to get open at all.

In fact the last 2 LA possessions were both a mess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o77y...ab_channel=NBA

If anything, the second to last possession was the real disaster. Look at the setup - two LA guys trying to run a crisscross screen at the top end up running into each other, and the two wing players are just standing in the corners. Later on in the corner where Reaves is it looks like they're trying to do a switch but again the signals get crossed. Then when it's finally setup for Reaves in the corner, it's an easy read with very little time left on the clock. And on the inbounds after the tip ball, it's a two-man give and go without anyone screening for Reaves - even if James gave the ball back to Reaves his shot would have been tightly contested or blocked since it's obvious he was going to take it as soon as he had the ball. So James has to take a miserable shot that hits the side of the backboard. This is terrible tactical setup by the Coach and terrible improvisation by the players. Maybe the players were dead tired by that point and it took a toll mentally.
MJ let Steve Kerr take and make the game winner. James was exhausted and the younger and fresher Reaves might have been a better option to me, a beneficiary of 20/20 hindsight. That said, I'm glad the Lakers lost and am thrilled that they were swept.

Last edited by Waldo62; 05-24-2023 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo62 View Post
MJ let Steve Kerr take and make the game winner. James was exhausted and the younger and fresher Reaves might have been a better option to me, a beneficiary of 20/20 hindsight. That said, I'm glad the Lakers lost and am thrilled that they were swept.
And before Steve Kerr there was John Paxson. Jordan found the open shooter when he needed to, and trusted those teammates to make the shot. But those Jordan plays weren't doomed from the start.

Again, look at the tape. On the second to last possession it starts with #17/Schroder on the lakers screwing up the play design, and leading to a tip ball after the play clock ran down an extra 2 seconds for Schroder to get in position. On the ensuing inbounds Lebron maybe could have handed the ball back to Reaves, but with limited time to get the shot off and the long Porter Jr on Reaves' hip it would have been a very tough shot.

On the last play Reaves inbounds the ball then just stands there, never a viable option. Maybe he just thought that Lebron was going to take it no matter what, but he never provided any type of outlet.

Lebron showed that he still has oodles of ability, but is starting to show his age a little bit. And remember, he's 3 years older with a LOT more basketball played than Jordan was in '98.

It's settled that James isn't quite up to Jordan's level, but that's stll pretty high praise - James is an all-time great but not the best all-time.

And yes, fully rooting for the Nugs to beat Miami in the finals. Jokic and Murray are incredibly easy to root for, and also adorable:
https://www.newyorker.com/sports/spo...t-buddy-comedy
Old 05-24-2023, 05:40 PM

Re: the 2nd to last possession:
I'm sure it was totally inadvertent:

Mark: LeBron has to touch this ball...
Jeff: And you better get the rebound!
Old 05-24-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
And before Steve Kerr there was John Paxson. Jordan found the open shooter when he needed to, and trusted those teammates to make the shot. But those Jordan plays weren't doomed from the start.

Again, look at the tape. On the second to last possession it starts with #17/Schroder on the lakers screwing up the play design, and leading to a tip ball after the play clock ran down an extra 2 seconds for Schroder to get in position. On the ensuing inbounds Lebron maybe could have handed the ball back to Reaves, but with limited time to get the shot off and the long Porter Jr on Reaves' hip it would have been a very tough shot.

On the last play Reaves inbounds the ball then just stands there, never a viable option. Maybe he just thought that Lebron was going to take it no matter what, but he never provided any type of outlet.

Lebron showed that he still has oodles of ability, but is starting to show his age a little bit. And remember, he's 3 years older with a LOT more basketball played than Jordan was in '98.

It's settled that James isn't quite up to Jordan's level, but that's stll pretty high praise - James is an all-time great but not the best all-time.

And yes, fully rooting for the Nugs to beat Miami in the finals. Jokic and Murray are incredibly easy to root for, and also adorable:
https://www.newyorker.com/sports/spo...t-buddy-comedy
I guess Jokic and Murray are the Rocky Mountain version of Stockalone. Except more creative and expansive with their games, and more likeable. And not as dirty.

There should be an anthology dedicated to writers on hyperbolic overdrive when describing Jokic's game. Here's a fun one from the article:

"There is an unexpected grace to his gliding footwork. Then he shoots, and nothing about him floats. The so-called Sombor Shuffle is not so much a jump shot as it is a left-legged kick maneuver, an action that levers his upper body backward. The ball leaves his hands immediately, seeming to travel straight up before following a tight parabola toward the basket. It works because of its oddity, not in spite of it—the hitch back creates just enough space from his defender, and the high, quick release, without a cumbersome jump, makes it harder for defenses to react."
Old 05-27-2023, 04:44 PM

Any thoughts on Boston vs Miami ahead of game 6?
Old 05-27-2023, 06:03 PM

I have many thoughts, but, like anything involving the Celtics, none of them are coherent. I mean, I guess there's the obvious: if Boston gets up a bunch of 3s and makes nearly 40% of them, they're nearly impossible to beat. By contrast, if they don't, and if Jimmy has another Jimmy game—seems likely to me, given that he got rest in Game 5—I'd guess the Heat win.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:46 PM

end of the road for Boston. bummer too.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:12 PM

yup I was wrong wow.

Last edited by jadmt; 05-27-2023 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05-27-2023, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
yup I was wrong wow.
I can't believe you changed your comment!
Old 05-27-2023, 10:18 PM

Holy shiiiiit! What a game!
Old 05-27-2023, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
Still baffling to me why D White is getting so few minutes.
Glad Coach Joe got my memo, but probably took the Brogdon injury to get him in that spot.

Did Boston really get the 2 shot foul upgraded to 3 on their challenge? Ugly second half but still a fun game to watch.