Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2022, 02:58 PM

When to regule/retape tubulars?

Anyone have input on if or when to re-gule or re-tape tubular tires? I'm going into season 3 for my Vittoria Corsa Graphene tubs, taped with Mariposa Effetto tape to Ambrosio Nemesis rims. No real issues in about 2000 miles or so of riding on this particular wheelset, and everything seems fine as far as the tires' adherence to the rims. Leave well enough alone or consider retape/glue?
Old 04-29-2022, 03:35 PM

I was actually wondering the exact same thing, thanks for this thread!
Old 04-29-2022, 04:34 PM

Tape and glue two different materials. Purposely no experience with tape, glue tends to harden as the solvents evaporate over time, once it losses its flexibility time to think about re-glueing. Tape may stay flexible longer however once it dries out and becomes brittle time to think about re-glueing. Have you tried rolling the tire off the rims with your thumbs?

Last edited by m_sasso; 04-29-2022 at 04:37 PM.
Old 04-29-2022, 05:08 PM

I did a "thumb roll" test of both tires for adherence, and they seemed fine. Your point is well taken that glue and tape are different materials and may yield a different answer to the question of when to refresh them. I've been happy with the performance and ease of use of Mariposa tape. but have no clue as to how long it's expected to last. Thanks for the response.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:04 PM

It’s probably worth sending the question directly to Effetto Mariposa. I really like their tape. My guess is that different tapes or glues lose their effectiveness at different rates, which is likely also influenced by the environment the wheels are used in (humidity, cold, heat, desert dry, etc).
Old 05-27-2023, 08:05 PM

Never used tape for tubulars, always glue. I reglue every 2 years regardless of mileage. After I can feel the glue get brittle I pull the tires carefully trying not to pull the base tape up, clean most of the glue and reglue with 3 applications of new glue.
Old 05-27-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Never used tape for tubulars, always glue. I reglue every 2 years regardless of mileage. After I can feel the glue get brittle I pull the tires carefully trying not to pull the base tape up, clean most of the glue and reglue with 3 applications of new glue.
What do you clean the glue off with?