Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
You can also add a summer base layer - you'll also stay cooler as it helps the sweat evaporate.
Sure.. but is 2 layers of saran wrap that much better sun protection than 1?
Old 05-26-2023, 09:50 PM

Just throwing out there the very light merino jerseys from Walz. I bought one at the end of last season, it’s super comfortable, full length zipper, lots of different color styles with great pockets if that matters. Not tight fitting, I got this one https://www.walzcaps.com/collections...cycling-jersey
Old 05-27-2023, 03:12 AM

Quote:
You can also add a summer base layer - you'll also stay cooler as it helps the sweat evaporate.
I would say that this only works in lower humidity environments. The humidity here in Bermuda hasn't dipped below 95% this week and I can tell you with certainty that bare skin is the key to cooling in this kind of weather. A base layer under a Rapha Lightweight jersey only serves to soak up and hold on to sweat.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:38 AM

I have an eliel light weight jersey that works well in the summer humidity we get.

Sizing is more true to North American than other brands. Body is a bit short, but if you are wearing bibs no issue.
Old 05-27-2023, 06:46 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions.

For those that recommended Velocio, I’m assuming it’s the signature jersey? If so, how tight/race-like is the fit? The description talks about compression, which I’m trying to avoid, but it looks like I could fit two different sizes on their size chart. However when I sized up in the past with other brands that’s where I run into some of the odd fit problems.

The La Passione Striver looks nice, and the price point is great, but it shows as a race fit and their temperature range is 65-85. Is that accurate?

For this recommending Eliel, I’m only seeing the Rincon as the one relaxed fit option. And they’ve only got limited colors that are on close out. Is there a specific model you had in mind? Not sure how literal to take some of the descriptions on fit. I don’t want the jersey to fit like a sail, but also don’t want a tight race fit like the Rapha pro team.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbh View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

For this recommending Eliel, I’m only seeing the Rincon as the one relaxed fit option. And they’ve only got limited colors that are on close out. Is there a specific model you had in mind? Not sure how literal to take some of the descriptions on fit. I don’t want the jersey to fit like a sail, but also don’t want a tight race fit like the Rapha pro team.
Looks like eliel does not have the diablo jersey or bibs up now. I have Rincon jerseys. They fit snug.
Old 05-27-2023, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BdaGhisallo View Post
I would say that this only works in lower humidity environments. The humidity here in Bermuda hasn't dipped below 95% this week and I can tell you with certainty that bare skin is the key to cooling in this kind of weather. A base layer under a Rapha Lightweight jersey only serves to soak up and hold on to sweat.
I hear ya, but the base layer holds on to that sweat when it's that hot and humid so it doesn't run down my crack.
Old 05-27-2023, 09:09 AM

Velocio for sure. And Q36.5. I have a few of their L1 pinstripe jerseys and they're great summer tops.
Old 05-27-2023, 03:02 PM
Rockstruck

Velocio has some ultralight and concept jerseys on sale now. Both are superlight and have a modern cut. Race fit but the stretch makes it all good for this resort cut bod—there’ll be no flapping. https://velocio.cc/collections/final...gender=Men%27s
Old 05-28-2023, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Thread drift: I'm fascinated by these claims - I can't see how two layers could possibly be cooler than one layer. I'd love to hear evidence to the contrary, though.
Old 05-28-2023, 09:24 PM

Anybody have an Ornot house jersey and can compare to a Rapha Classic or brevet fit? Looks interesting, and they are out of stock on most colors/ sizes so maybe that’s a good sign?
Old 05-29-2023, 06:24 AM
Two wheels good

Rapha Core LIGHTWEIGHT jersey has been great and it doesn't need to fit like a second skin. It has more a traditional shape with shorter sleeves that aren't too tight and a regular collar.
Old 05-29-2023, 08:38 AM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbh View Post
Anybody have an Ornot house jersey and can compare to a Rapha Classic or brevet fit? Looks interesting, and they are out of stock on most colors/ sizes so maybe that’s a good sign?
I have an Ornot house jersey...definitely a more racy fit than my Rapha Classic jesey...both are XL
Old 05-30-2023, 04:42 AM

For Velocio, the Concept Radiator jersey is the one that's specifically designed for hot and humid conditions. It's very cool. I know the Nerd Alert podcast discussed the fabric used in this jersey at one point, but that was way in the past, and it's hard to search for previous episodes.
Old 05-30-2023, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
Thread drift: I'm fascinated by these claims - I can't see how two layers could possibly be cooler than one layer. I'd love to hear evidence to the contrary, though.
I actually was about to make this same comment. I’ve never found base layers to help with cooling but it’s also rather humid here.