Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-25-2023, 08:02 PM

Cino Frankenbike question

Angry's post about Cino got me to thinking. There's no way I could ride my 1972 Bob Jackson with the Nuovo Record drivetrain that's in the drawer, or the Cinelli/Campy cockpit, on this ride. The last freewheel I had (still on the Campy clincher wheels hanging on a hook) is a seven speed 13-28. The existing crankset on the bike is vintage, Sugino AT on a Phil BB, with TA 48-36-24 rings. 24-28 should get me up most hills

Can I make the existing XTR RD-M952 derailleur work with friction barcons with this freewheel and crankset? I have Campy barcons but could also use some 9s DA in friction mode. If this would work, what chain would work best? Do modern 9-10s chains work on old freewheels?

Idle musings…I'd really like to do this ride.
Old 05-25-2023, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Let’s talk tomorrow. You’ve got what you need
Old 05-25-2023, 08:10 PM

I've got a Campagnolo Rally long-cage rear derailleur if you'd like to go that route for authenticity.
Old 05-26-2023, 01:36 AM

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.
24/28 will suit you just fine.
Join the party!
Old 05-26-2023, 06:46 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Angry's post about Cino got me to thinking. There's no way I could ride my 1972 Bob Jackson with the Nuovo Record drivetrain that's in the drawer, or the Cinelli/Campy cockpit, on this ride. The last freewheel I had (still on the Campy clincher wheels hanging on a hook) is a seven speed 13-28. The existing crankset on the bike is vintage, Sugino AT on a Phil BB, with TA 48-36-24 rings. 24-28 should get me up most hills

Can I make the existing XTR RD-M952 derailleur work with friction barcons with this freewheel and crankset? I have Campy barcons but could also use some 9s DA in friction mode. If this would work, what chain would work best? Do modern 9-10s chains work on old freewheels?

Idle musings…I'd really like to do this ride.
Sure
I use a 9s chain on my freewheel rig. Wide enough to work well and thin enough so you don't have to be perfect for no noise(8s less so). A 10s one will work also but more expensive(least expensive compatible chain).
Old 05-26-2023, 09:38 AM

I'm stoked! Since I built up the Habanero as my travel bike, it's taken over the spot for the bike that has fenders, rack, and grab-and-go pedals (outside of when it's the winter bike, when it gets clipless). So I'm going to re-retro the Bob Jackson. A 42-28 low gear may work.
Old 05-26-2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
A 42-28 low gear may work.
24-28 maybe?

I’m going to Cino for first time but have ridden Eroica California a few times. First time I did it on a 42-28 low gear but my pasta legs were a spicy pepper then and now they’re more like overcooked store brand thin spaghetti. I haven’t settled on a bike yet, but it will likely have a 34-28 low gear, maybe even a 30-28.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs View Post
24-28 maybe?

I’m going to Cino for first time but have ridden Eroica California a few times. First time I did it on a 42-28 low gear but my pasta legs were a spicy pepper then and now they’re more like overcooked store brand thin spaghetti. I haven’t settled on a bike yet, but it will likely have a 34-28 low gear, maybe even a 30-28.
I looked at the Cino course on RidewithGPS and there's definitely elevation but it's not like the ride I did last year in VT, with grades up to 22%. It looks like max grade is below 9% (is that true?) Eroica CA looks to have substantially steeper sections, and it looks like longer distance too.
Old 05-26-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I looked at the Cino course on RidewithGPS and there's definitely elevation but it's not like the ride I did last year in VT, with grades up to 22%. It looks like max grade is below 9% (is that true?) Eroica CA looks to have substantially steeper sections, and it looks like longer distance too.
Day one at Cino is basically a long gradual up followed by a long gradual down. Nothing to steep.

Day two has a climb called 9 Mile hill. I wrongly assumed it was a climb that started at the 9 mile point in the route. It's not. It's a climb that is 9 miles long with some short steep pitches that are the real deal. It's never super steep but it does go on for a good long time and never relents. I spend a lot of time in my lowest gear (38/26) and if I had lower I'd use it.

dave