Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2023, 01:14 PM
DELETE ACCNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
LOL, selling the PHEV Pacifica tomorrow. Bought a used 2018 gas guzzler Sedona yesterday. Keeping the Bolt.

At 300-400 miles a month use the math watching the expensive PHEV Pacifica depreciate way faster than $ save on fuel... I am out. It was a good 28 Month run.
makes sense, it's far better to drive less and reduce expenses!
those Sedonas are rated pretty highly.
Bolt demand was crazy last I heard. Don't know if it slowed but I think used prices literally doubled in the last couple years.
Old 04-20-2023, 08:56 AM

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2...-home-charger/
Old 04-20-2023, 09:13 AM

Good read on V2L. Every manufacturer should have this on their EVs.
Old 05-26-2023, 02:39 PM

Bringing this back up because a pretty big thing happened yesterday. Ford announced that they will be partnering with Tesla to make their current vehicles accessible to Tesla’s Superchargers and starting in 2025, as I understand it, their EVs will use the NACS - North American Charging Standard. This is Tesla’s standard that they have made open source. It is, in my opinion, a far better charging interface than CCS.

This is a clear admission that the current CCS charging environment is a failure in the US. Ford is the second largest manufacturer of EVs in the US and CCS chargers are not just not keeping up, they’re falling behind. Ford is admitting here that they need to adapt or EVs may whither on the vine.

It will be interesting to see if more manufacturers see the wisdom here.

I understand many have misgivings about Tesla’s CEO and I do as well, but this thread isn’t really about that.

This announcement is, in my opinion, quite a seismic event in the US EV market. Very curious about the future here.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/cars/...hip/index.html
Old 06-08-2023, 11:21 PM

Renting my second all electric on my second of three trips to Cali this year. ( San Diego this time)

Last time the Tesla y experiment didn’t end so well after my wife crashed it into another car.

Turns out it didn’t do that much damage, but regardless, I decided to try a polestar 2 this go around.

I really like this one….sharper handling, better made car altogether, and familiar controls make for an easy transition. (Probably helps that we owned a Volvo prior)

It is still hard to see out of the back like the Tesla was. Even the backup camera has an obstructed view like the view out the back window….wth?

It is nowhere near as fast as the Tesla y dual motor( at least not the one we rented, not even sure if it is single motor or not?)
Range is not as good, the interior is pretty well put together but I could do without the eco friendly cloth seats. Much more of a comfy cocoon-like interior that suits me better than just a steering wheel and a tablet.

I’ve done one round of charging at an electrify america charger. First stall was broken, second stall required some crafty backing up to reach, but it did work at least. $10 for about 25% charge up in 30 min.

I would almost spend the money on one of these ( for a second car), so either they are winning me over, breaking me down, or I’m just giving up?

Anyways, just a little update for anyone who may care. I would appreciate a little prayer for tomorrow too as my wife takes it out for the first time to yet another spa appointment.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Bringing this back up because a pretty big thing happened yesterday. Ford announced that they will be partnering with Tesla to make their current vehicles accessible to Tesla’s Superchargers and starting in 2025, as I understand it, their EVs will use the NACS - North American Charging Standard. This is Tesla’s standard that they have made open source. It is, in my opinion, a far better charging interface than CCS.
(...)
(...)
GM has followed Ford in adopting Tesla's NACS connector and charging infrastructure:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/gm-t...g-network.html

A lot of disruption and change in the EV space. Tickdoc, I would wait until the dust settles to buy a non-Tesla EV if you don't have an immediate need.

Last edited by dgauthier; 06-08-2023 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-08-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
GM has followed Ford in adopting Tesla's NACS connector and charging infrastructure:

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/06/08/gm-t...g-network.html

A lot of disruption and change in the EV space. Tickdoc, I would wait until the dust settles to buy a non-Tesla EV if you don't have an immediate need.
No need here for me just yet. We just purchased a Porsche hybrid. Little bit of an ev for tooling short distances, and gas for road trips. It only charges at home so no impact to us on charging standards.

I’m perfectly happy with my gas guzzling old truck and mustang for now.

I just like trying them out!
Old 06-08-2023, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickdoc View Post
(...) I would appreciate a little prayer for tomorrow too as my wife takes it out for the first time to yet another spa appointment.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UzwGxKGCuNU
Old 06-09-2023, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post

This is a clear admission that the current CCS charging environment is a failure in the US. Ford is the second largest manufacturer of EVs in the US and CCS chargers are not just not keeping up, they’re falling behind. Ford is admitting here that they need to adapt or EVs may whither on the vine.

I understand many have misgivings about Tesla’s CEO and I do as well, but this thread isn’t really about that.

This announcement is, in my opinion, quite a seismic event in the US EV market. Very curious about the future here.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/25/cars/...hip/index.html
GM signed on to this too. Does this mean that Ford and GM will be putting in $ to expand the charging network? If not, it's not good news for Tesla owners.

Last edited by MikeD; 06-09-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-09-2023, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Apparently VW just announced they will officially be bringing a North America market special bus to the US. Pretty cool.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Apparently VW just announced they will officially be bringing a North America market special bus to the US. Pretty cool.

My understanding is that it is going to be the long wheelbase three row seat version and will not import the short WB version.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:47 PM

I'm in the "we can't consume our way through climate change" camp. Gas cars, electric cars, coal, solar, whatever. Greenwashing is another marketing trend. Unfortunately things will need to get really bad (and then probably a massive global war) before the necessary shift happens. That said, I'd be fine with an electric car.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:02 PM

Since this thread is back up top: parked behind a new Prius the other day.

Huge leap in the looks department.
Old 06-09-2023, 02:24 PM

We have 6 months driving our Chevy Bolt. We are averaging less than a penny per mile. I convinced my wife that with the savings I should be riding a Pivot Shuttle mountain bike. Some how she agreed! I’m all in on electric vehicles
Old 06-09-2023, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelbackkid View Post
I'm in the "we can't consume our way through climate change" camp. Gas cars, electric cars, coal, solar, whatever. Greenwashing is another marketing trend. Unfortunately things will need to get really bad (and then probably a massive global war) before the necessary shift happens. That said, I'd be fine with an electric car.
That's a very reasonable and mature response and spot on. You're right about the greenwashing of so many things. That said, personal transportation isn't going away so we may as well do the best we can.

When folks ask me I say I wouldn't replace a good, existing vehicle with an EV. But when the time for a new car comes, they're very worthy of consideration.

Update on my own situation:

I just completed another road trip from Chicago to Minneapolis and back. Spent the past two nights at a campground hooked up to the site's power port. There were two of us and we had the proper adapters so were good to go. Left this morning and drove home with no Supercharger stops at all. No issues at all charging both cars at the same time, though at a lower amperage.

Re: Ford and GM

As to the Ford and GM announcements, I'm not worried as a Tesla owner. There will simply be more chargers built and I don't believe all Superchargers will be open to GM and Ford. Not sure of those details.

Anyway, Supercharging is best left to real road trips, not daily charging.

As an investor I think it's great news. We'll see what happens.

Last edited by saab2000; 06-09-2023 at 04:14 PM.