Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-12-2017, 04:27 PM

Trainer as an indoor option...

I've not had a trainer for more than a decade. Perhaps longer. The one I had was a pretty cheap (sub $150) unit, back when I had to decide between mag, fluid, something else as the choices in technology. I found that, once you get to speed, it wasn't very hard to keep to that speed / cadence. For that reason, I never really got into it as a legitimate option.

Now, I'm looking at one because, while I much prefer to ride outside, I frankly have time some evenings where I can't ride outside (too dark, too wet, I live on top of a massive hill), but it would be super easy to hop on a trainer and get 45-60m in. What is new in trainer technology? I know that there are lots of technology infused options now, and I like the idea of the trainers where you connect your bike to a built-in cassette on the trainer, as opposed to rubbing a training tire down on a cylinder...

I've also heard that rollers are an option, but I fear my lack of coordination would preclude those from being an injury-free option!

Things I'd love to see: compact footprint, cassette-based if possible, variable resistance, build quality. Oh yeah, I only have one bike now (wha???) so don't know what it matters, but my only ride is a disc brake bike (Trek Boone) which I'd be riding on the trainer.

Things I don't care much about: simulation--racing virtual versions of myself / others on a screen, heart rate monitoring (I know, I know--I just want to ride)

So, what trainers do you people recommend / use / like / don't like? I'm keen to hear your input!

Thanks!