Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
I think that is actually a big problem among many dog owners: domestic dogs cannot have such a range of emotions and "roles". In the wild their roles are extremely clear, and must be so in domestic environments as well.

The human owner must be the alpha at all times for the dog to actually be completely and comfortably integrated, and to trust implicitly, but a lot of owners are too lazy and/or unwilling to impose their role consistently. Then the dog becomes confused about its own role. There is no "trick". Establish authority, unequivocally and consistently, and the dog will be much happier and confident.
GSD will have more than one alpha human.. you can transfer the alpha role to another family member. They are one of the few breeds w/ this quality. They are unbelievably smart and like to "listen" to people.
Old 07-19-2019, 03:43 PM

Contact insurance about GS (and some other breeds), they may make you sign a waiver not covering dog incidents.

good luck on your choice and sorry for you loss. Post pictures!
Old 07-19-2019, 04:01 PM

It needs a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mikkelsensakaeurcaweb1.jpg (118.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino Suegiù View Post
I think that is actually a big problem among many dog owners: domestic dogs cannot have such a range of emotions and "roles". In the wild their roles are extremely clear, and must be so in domestic environments as well.

The human owner must be the alpha at all times for the dog to actually be completely and comfortably integrated, and to trust implicitly, but a lot of owners are too lazy and/or unwilling to impose their role consistently. Then the dog becomes confused about its own role. There is no "trick". Establish authority, unequivocally and consistently, and the dog will be much happier and confident.
To me, this is not an issue of whether the owner established him/herself as the alpha figure. That's part of training and has to be done whatever the dog's characteristics may be. Some breeds are in fact more 'incorrigible' and cannot be worked with effectively, and for that reason, you see a great many of these other breeds given up and populating shelters. That is not in any way the GSD which were bred to have a range in temperment. Most all GSDs can be worked with to be great family pets. It just depends on what you prefer.

Last edited by OtayBW; 07-19-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
GSD will have more than one alpha human.. you can transfer the alpha role to another family member. They are one of the few breeds w/ this quality. They are unbelievably smart and like to "listen" to people.
Of course they will. I meant that the dog(s) cannot move between subservient and alpha (to the humans). It is not healthy or fair to them. And yet many humans allow that to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtayBW View Post
To me, this is not an issue of whether the owner established him/herself as the alpha figure. That's part of training and has to be done whatever the dog's characteristics may be. Some breeds are in fact more 'incorrigible' and cannot be worked with effectively, and for that reason, you see a great many of these other breeds given up and populating shelters. That is not in any way the GSD which were bred to have a range in temperment. Most all GSDs can be worked with to be great family pets. It just depends on what you prefer.
Yes. I completely agree and am not arguing at all. Just saying that defined and consistent role definition is critically important and many people do abrogate their responsibilities in that regard.

Certainly German Shepherds are not an "incorrigible" breed. Most domestic breeds are not, inherently, and the reasons for the presence of so many dogs in shelters goes far beyond "incorrigibility" in any case. I remember that 6-9 months after that Dalmatians movie, shelters were overflowing with Dalmatians; the same thing thing with Chihuahuas after those taco commercials. Etc.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:39 PM

I love GSD's

My wife trains Border Collie's and Aussie's and competes in agility and other events.

She does this funny thing when out walking and we come across a GSD. She normally gets their attention when other dogs are around anyway but always jokingly says to her dogs "Look at that, pointing to the the GSD, now THAT is a dog!"

Old 07-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colker View Post
It needs a picture
Beautiful
Old 07-19-2019, 07:00 PM
ZhugeLiang

Our one and only dog.

Got her from a breeder.

Had to give her up when we moved overseas.

Extremely well-trained.

Super smart.

Champion swimmer.

Great with kids.

Only one problem: it's her bad luck that she got paired up with someone like me who knew almost nothing about dogs and how to properly care for her, and didn't fully appreciate her until she was gone. Don't be like me.

Troika is her name.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg troika.jpg (33.4 KB, 87 views)
Old 07-19-2019, 07:57 PM

FWIW, shepherds shed once per year...for 365 days. Sometimes the shedding gets crazy (like now). Their double coat is the stuff of legend. You will destroy vacuums. Birds love the stuff for nests though.
Old 07-19-2019, 08:00 PM

Two bites from different Shepards when I was quite young, and a serious incident with one when I was teenager--it jumped for my throat, and I got a shoulder turned in time so that it took the shoulder off my bulky winter jacket instead of something more serious...

It took me a long time to trust dogs in general, and Shepherds in particular. I have met some lovely ones as an adult, and recognize now--as someone already said--the ones I encountered deserved better people.

One of the nicest, smartest dogs I have met was a Shepard that was the constant companion/working dog with the local park custodian...
Old 07-19-2019, 08:23 PM

CNY, sent you a PM...
Old 07-19-2019, 09:02 PM

You may have a very hard time finding a home insurance company that will allow the breed as a pet. They are great dogs (had two growing up) but now being in the insurance industry in Massachusetts I could not find one carrier that would agree to cover German Shepherds (among other breeds). The state run insurance here (Mass Fair Plan) will cover your home excluding the dog for liability. Just something to consider.

Jay
Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 PM

Thank you all, there is so much valuable information here.
We actually had the most alpha golden retriever we have ever seen. Even her highly experienced trainer had not met another like her. It took a solid 2 years if dog training classes and intensive work to convince her that she was not the alpha of our family pack.
Having done that, she was wonderful.
I would expect to invest the same work if we went with a shepherd but I appreciate some caution flags being thrown.

And I will get a pic up tomorrow.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcowboys31 View Post
You may have a very hard time finding a home insurance company that will allow the breed as a pet. They are great dogs (had two growing up) but now being in the insurance industry in Massachusetts I could not find one carrier that would agree to cover German Shepherds (among other breeds). The state run insurance here (Mass Fair Plan) will cover your home excluding the dog for liability. Just something to consider.

Jay
I had that exact problem when I moved to MA in 2001. I couldn't believe it. Finally found a good company that had no issue with it.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:35 PM

Get a dog on xmas eve Especially, if they have a santa hat. Get a rescue, dogs have more intuition than you realize and know when they've been saved from whatever => buddy for life

Generally, they just want to fit in and they wear their emotions on their sleeve. A little work on the front end of ownership pays big down the road, some take a little more than others. Currently working on #3 after 2 lab rescues, half pit half lab this time. Totally driven by food and praise, great dog with lots of love to give, but she requires some conscientious work. She'll jump a fence and has a bark that'll keep strangers on their toes. Snack...just grab a bird out of the air
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190614_185931_resized.jpg (82.6 KB, 59 views)