Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-11-2019, 09:55 AM

On the topic of lifetime fluid in automatic transmissions with the ZF 8 speeds there are many versions used by many automakers. It seems the consensus in the Audi and Mopar crowds that I'm familiar with is if you run it hard, especially drag racing, change it with a drain and filter at 30-50k miles depending on just how hard you drive it. If you treat it normal service interval about 60k miles seems good. Always just fluid drain and filter swap. Going for the full system flush seems to bring its own set of risks with high mile transmissions that get a flush being more prone to problems after a flush.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:07 AM

Late to join the party, but I would make the jump to rid myself of those Outback roof racks alone.

I hope to drive my S4 Avant for another couple of years, but I'm wondering what in the heck could follow up such a great car. A Macan GTS or RS6 Avant would suffice...I'll start my own Talk Me Out of This thread at that time.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=cinema;2631258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post

This isn't true but I'm not eloquent enough to describe why. Regardless, a transmission should always have the same shift points if operating properly. Lifetime fluid should be changed around 60-80k. at most. lubricity breaks down over time due to temperature. Heat is what kills transmissions. Once fluid has lost lubricity, metal items wear much faster. If you never change your fluid and then suddenly change it at 200k, since you have missed crucial change intervals, your transmission has worn to a point where the increased amount of metal debris suspended in the fluid is keeping you in gear by providing extra friction. That's why you should just leave the old fluid in at that point and just be nice to it. Lifetime fluids are more like 'guaranteed for life' aka the warranty period of the vehicle. because once that's up, you get to pay for a new tranny from the dealer
Hey, I didn't post about owning a VOLVO as quoted above. That is someone else's comment.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GScot View Post
On the topic of lifetime fluid in automatic transmissions with the ZF 8 speeds there are many versions used by many automakers. It seems the consensus in the Audi and Mopar crowds that I'm familiar with is if you run it hard, especially drag racing, change it with a drain and filter at 30-50k miles depending on just how hard you drive it. If you treat it normal service interval about 60k miles seems good. Always just fluid drain and filter swap. Going for the full system flush seems to bring its own set of risks with high mile transmissions that get a flush being more prone to problems after a flush.
I agree with what was stated above. For Lexus, I havent found one mechanic who recommended keeping the lifetime fluid in the care indefinitely, they all recommended a drain and fill if you have higher mileage and a flush if you start at 40-50k.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Robb;2631292]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema View Post
Hey, I didn't post about owning a VOLVO as quoted above. That is someone else's comment.
Sorry for the thread drift. I was commenting in reply to the "lifetime" tranny fluid. Probably could have left the make of vehicle out.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:23 AM
cmg

here's Scotty's videos on BMWs https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6489&FORM=VIRE and a fav. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...095C&FORM=VIRE

Had a friend who had an Audi 100LS, what a pile of junk. then a co-worker had a modern VW with an exploding water pump. Why put yourself through it especially when you know it's going to happen? This is a funny thread.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:27 AM

[QUOTE=cinema;2631258]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post

This isn't true but I'm not eloquent enough to describe why. Regardless, a transmission should always have the same shift points if operating properly. Lifetime fluid should be changed around 60-80k. at most. lubricity breaks down over time due to temperature. Heat is what kills transmissions. Once fluid has lost lubricity, metal items wear much faster. If you never change your fluid and then suddenly change it at 200k, since you have missed crucial change intervals, your transmission has worn to a point where the increased amount of metal debris suspended in the fluid is keeping you in gear by providing extra friction. That's why you should just leave the old fluid in at that point and just be nice to it. Lifetime fluids are more like 'guaranteed for life' aka the warranty period of the vehicle. because once that's up, you get to pay for a new tranny from the dealer
Excellent points. I was going off of what I was told by a mechanic when asking about my vehicle. Maybe I didn't remember correctly and that is what he was telling me - it's been a while. Makes sense. At the time our vehicle had ~90K on it. We bought it with 80K. Prior to that SUV, all my other stuff usually recommended fluid/filter change approximately every 30K, so that "lifetime" thing was new to me. The guy did say that changing the fluid in that particular vehicle was a PITA - maybe an additional reason why he told me what he did?
Old 12-11-2019, 11:34 AM

I too shall remember to do this more often. Quote myself that is and point out:
Excellent point björn (my name) very well thought out!
Old 12-11-2019, 11:39 AM

I avoid most of this by just bringing it to my VW dealership on schedule. With one exception for a major repair (that I was expecting because it was a known issue - premature camshaft wear), my 2006 GTI has been dead reliable. It has never left me stranded, which is the prime directive of any automobile.

To be sure, there are some expensive items along the way and some of those periodic service items make my eyes water. I now own a 2018 VW Tiguan, which Scotty, in the videos, condemns. It's never done anything but run perfectly for me so far. I expect along the way some of the services will be expensive and at one of these services, there will be a flushing of the 8-speed automatic transmission.

None of this is to say that there won't be surprises but I've owned two automobiles new from the lot and both have always and only ever been serviced by VW authorized service centers and neither has had any nasty surprises, except the one I mentioned, and that happened when the car had over 100K miles, so by that point to have had a reliable car is pretty good. Start bringing them to other places and all bets are off.

Follow the manufacturer's maintenance schedule and I'd say most customers will be just fine.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:14 PM

This discussion has me on the phone with my mechanic. Time for a Transmission flush.

Bad news: it will have to wait until after my trip to Tucson next week.

Good news: I'm going to Tucson and I'll finally climb Mount Lemmon! Anyone want to join? Rollout is Wednesday morning (12/18) at around 10. Pace is tempo unless I/we get motivated . PM if interested.

Last edited by YesNdeed; 12-11-2019 at 06:16 PM.