Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Nope.

The teams supply he balls to the refs. They inspect them, mark them, and take control of them until just before kickoff when they are given to the two ball boys.

For this to happen either the refs totally screwed up or the ball boys had an inflation needle they could use to let some air out and they would have to have a way to determine just how much air they were letting out AND be able to hide what they were doing while out on the sidelines in full view of everyone.

If you are following all the reporting, the problem supposedly occurred in the first half, was noticed when the Colts intercepted late in the 2nd quarter. The "issue" was supposedly corrected in the second half when the Patriots outscored the Colts 31-0
Can't we move on now?

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:33 PM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climb01742 View Post
Perhaps part of the problem is that there are tons of anecdotal stories floating around and each of us can only hear some fraction of the total. I certainly can't claim to have an exhaustive knowledge here but from what I've heard and read, the practice was widespread among teams. Jimmy Johnson, for example, admitted to having done it too and said every coach pushes the rules in their own ways. It's how you become and stay an NFL coach he said.

I'm not trying to defend everything BB does or how arrogant he can be. But his behavior has become an excuse for other teams not being consistently good. We lost because Bill cheats is easier to live with than we lost because we don't (pick your point) coach as well or draft as well or game plan as well or practice as hard or whatever. As I said earlier, BB can be a real tool but the Pats' record the last almost 15 years isn't due to cheating. And some teams just can't accept that he's been that good that long and they haven't. So they blame him, rather than look at themselves.
Never said the colts lost because of this.

But the fact is, Joe's a convicted cheater. 10's would be shocked if it turns out this ball thing were done.

Len

EDIT TO ADD. I'm not claiming that they don't do a very large number of things well. I'm pointing out that in a league where small differences matter and a few plays decide most games, illegal edges can be significant.

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."

Last edited by Len J; 01-20-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Len

When is Spygate over? That was 8 years ago.

What other infractions can you name from the Patriots?

The formation issue against the Ravens was LEGAL and used by many college and NFL teams (Detroit vs Minnesota just a few weeks ago).

Name something else. Seriously.

People hate the Patriots because they are successful and have been longer than any other franchise in recent times.

Also because BB is easy to hate. He likes it that way. So does the team. It's motivational for them (world vs us).

The biggest issue right now is that this is dragging out. It is inconceivable to me that the NFL can't figure out if anything happened and make a decision. The league and it's ability to handle this kind of stuff is the biggest issue/joke.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:41 PM
not banished

Let's take something we all know - Lance Armstrong and cheating - and something we don't know as much about - Belichick as a coach cheating

Let's do an analogy of Bill Belichick and 'spygate' - cause that's REALLY all you have, the formations were legal and the ball thing is rather pathetic. So how doe s spygate stack up to a world-class cheater (again, one we all know what he did).

i would put it up there about as high as Lance hiring all the Spanish climbers, the 'look', and the time he insisted on wearing the jersey with cancer survivors rather than the team jersey.

So saying the pats are 'institutionalized cheating from the top down' - is a far, far, far stretch.

As for the annoying #gohawks and jersey sales. I've worked for a company in Seattle for about 8 years - went there a ton. Not. A. Sports. Town. NYC, Philly, Boston and Chicago are sports towns - Redskins routinely get the most money from their logo and team name - anyone who has ever lived in DC can tell you. Not. A. Sports. Town. Seattle is the same.

US Postal sold a bunch of jerseys for a bunch of years - even radio shack did, too. Is anyone gonna try to say that those were real "bike racing fans?" No, they were Lance fans. Seattle shouldn't have made it this far, GB lost the game, not seattle winning. Those jersey sales will be lacking soon enough.

Last edited by velomonkey; 01-20-2015 at 04:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Useless Post of the Day

Hope the Patriots win.

I hate both teams but I HATE Pete Carroll most.

What a moral dilemma. Oh wells, I used to hate the Red Sox and Celtics as well.

This is what happens when you live in LA without a football or baseball team.

At least the Bruins finished in the Top 10...crumbs.
Old 01-20-2015, 04:51 PM
not banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
Hope the Patriots win.

Uconn men college basketball, Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots ALL champs within the last 6 years. Don't even get me started on UCONN woman. The only thing we lack is college football.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:04 PM

[QUOTE=Len J;1691856]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBash View Post

They lead the league, and still don't get called as much as they admit to holding.

So Carroll cheated, but only at USC....ROFL.... I have a Bridge for you.
You have nothing and Carroll is one of the best liked coach in the league. All teams hold, some are better than others. Every coach in the league go to the limits or grey area. Did you know the Hawks have the lightest defense in the league, but they're built on speed and tackling.

BTW, I was rooting for the Colts to win...They just don't match up well with the Patriots. Would have liked to see two young quarterbacks duke it out. I really like Andrew Luck. He needs some help in certain positions...If he had the Seahawks defense, maybe a different outcome.

The Hawks had the worst offencive game I have seen them play in years with the exception of the last quarter. If the Seahawks offence play to there potential, with our great defense I think they can hold the Patriots to one touchdown and a couple field goals.

Last edited by SBash; 01-20-2015 at 05:12 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:09 PM

delete

Last edited by SBash; 01-20-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Hope the Patriots win.

Beeatnick, I am not liking your style.

-nighthawk (born in LA, raised in MA)
Old 01-20-2015, 05:16 PM
needs adult supervision

This is from CBS broadcast of Packers game Nov. 30. Jim Nantz talking to Phil Simms:

Nantz: We talked to [Aaron] Rodgers about 'How do you like your footballs?' Because, you know, you can rub them up before the game. [Phil], you really kind of created that for everybody else in the league.

Simms: I don’t know if I did, because the quarterbacks got tired of them complaining. But he said something [that] was unique: 'I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it.' Because he thinks it’s easier for him to grip. He likes them tight. Of course, he’s got very big hands and you can tell that by watching him play.

So in the minds of those who believe BB 'cheats', does Rodgers cheat too? He admits to circumventing league rules, then sees if he gets 'caught'. Will there be an outcry about this? Rodgers is very likable so I bet he gets a pass.

But I do bet this sort of admission will complicate the NFL's investigation into deflategate. If, and that's a big if at this point, it's found the Pats under-inflated their footballs, yet other teams admit to over-inflating their footballs, how will the NFL mete out 'justice'?

Last thought. The next time the Pats play the Colts, the beatdown the Pats put on them will be epic. And deserved. What crybabies.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velomonkey View Post
Let's take something we all know - Lance Armstrong and cheating - and something we don't know as much about - Belichick as a coach cheating

Let's do an analogy of Bill Belichick and 'spygate' - cause that's REALLY all you have, the formations were legal and the ball thing is rather pathetic. So how doe s spygate stack up to a world-class cheater (again, one we all know what he did).

i would put it up there about as high as Lance hiring all the Spanish climbers, the 'look', and the time he insisted on wearing the jersey with cancer survivors rather than the team jersey.

So saying the pats are 'institutionalized cheating from the top down' - is a far, far, far stretch.

As for the annoying #gohawks and jersey sales. I've worked for a company in Seattle for about 8 years - went there a ton. Not. A. Sports. Town. NYC, Philly, Boston and Chicago are sports towns - Redskins routinely get the most money from their logo and team name - anyone who has ever lived in DC can tell you. Not. A. Sports. Town. Seattle is the same.

US Postal sold a bunch of jerseys for a bunch of years - even radio shack did, too. Is anyone gonna try to say that those were real "bike racing fans?" No, they were Lance fans. Seattle shouldn't have made it this far, GB lost the game, not seattle winning. Those jersey sales will be lacking soon enough.
I've live here for over 60 years and Seattle is a football town...Have packed the stadiums since the beginning with both Huskies and Seahawks. Other sports not so much.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM
Windrider

[QUOTE=SBash;1691874]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len J View Post
You have nothing and Carroll is one of the best liked coach in the league. All teams hold, some are better than others. Every coach in the league go to the limits or grey area. Did you know the Hawks have the lightest defense in the league, but they're built on speed and tackling.

BTW, I was rooting for the Colts to win...They just don't match up well with the Patriots. Would have liked to see two young quarterbacks duke it out. I really like Andrew Luck. He needs some help in certain positions...If he had the Seahawks defense, maybe a different outcome.

The Hawks had the worst offencive game I have seen them play in years with the exception of the last quarter. If the Seahawks offence play to there potential, with our great defense I think they can hold the Patriots to one touchdown and a couple field goals.
Let me clear something up. I'm not a colts fan.... never have been. This isn't about the colts. I called the NE loss.... it's about presumption re a convicted cheater about cheating.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 01-20-2015, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthawk View Post
Beeatnick, I am not liking your style.

-nighthawk (born in LA, raised in MA)
Then, you love the Lakers, right?

Soooo many Boston fans (transplants) out here. That said Sonny McLeans is my favorite pub in LA. Always fun to pop in during the NFL playoffs. Awesome atmosphere.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/75493/...b-Santa-Monica
Old 01-20-2015, 05:35 PM
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
Len

When is Spygate over? That was 8 years ago.

What other infractions can you name from the Patriots?

The formation issue against the Ravens was LEGAL and used by many college and NFL teams (Detroit vs Minnesota just a few weeks ago).

Name something else. Seriously.

People hate the Patriots because they are successful and have been longer than any other franchise in recent times.

Also because BB is easy to hate. He likes it that way. So does the team. It's motivational for them (world vs us).

The biggest issue right now is that this is dragging out. It is inconceivable to me that the NFL can't figure out if anything happened and make a decision. The league and it's ability to handle this kind of stuff is the biggest issue/joke.

BK
Is there a statute of limitations on integrity?

NFL said today they would have a decision in 2-3 days.

Len

Old 01-20-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
That said Sonny McLeans is my favorite pub in LA. Always fun to pop in during the NFL playoffs. Awesome atmosphere.
Professor Thom's in NYC. Same deal.