Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Leather Saddles; S.A. vs Berthoud

After many decades of riding discomfort I stumbled across the heavy but OH SO COMFORTABLE Selle Anatomica. I have two and they are Nirvana to me. However, the Berthoud saddles with their dark brown coloring and gorgeous rivets really have my interest.

Just wondering if anyone has ridden both and can compare? Most of the Berthoud models do not have the cutout but because the SA does have the cutout, I'd probably try that one first. Also, SA now has a lighter optional frame and that will be a consideration.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:14 PM

I have tried them all and the Berthoud is the nicest one IMO if it fits. They do have cutout models available, but I haven't tried those.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2019, 03:37 PM

The Berthoud and SAA are totally different. The SAA is by intention a hammock. The Berthoud is the opposite.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palincss View Post
The Berthoud and SAA are totally different. The SAA is by intention a hammock. The Berthoud is the opposite.
The Berthoud is technically a "suspended leather saddle" too (Brooks leather models as well), but you are correct in that, in the real world, they are very different. The Berthouds will conform to your sit bones after time, but it's not drastic.

I think I read SA changed their design, but when I tried one years ago it was super saggy out of the gate. It just seemed like a bad idea unless you weighed 130 pounds.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:53 PM

I bought two different saddles after breaking the rails of my Brooks saddles for the third time.
One Rivet saddle and one Selle Italia. Beautiful saddles, but the shape just didn't fit my rear end. If the shape is correct, you don't need the cutout.
I have them both for sale.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230065

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=230064
Old 06-08-2019, 05:10 PM

Berthoud

I had an SA saddle and my fitter didn't like it and it wore out quickly.

I have had a narrow Berthoud for over 5 years w no sign of wear. The narrow models are the same shape as most racing saddles so an easy transition. Jan Heine gave one to Ted King who seems to use it all of the time.

So I guess I can say Ted King rides the same saddle as me.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:56 AM

I have switched my road bikes to SA saddles. I know that they're heavier than other saddles, but they are comfortable for century rides. And with some more recent lighter frame options, the weight difference isn't as much as it used to be. Their frames have a longer clamping area than the Brooks models, so you also have a bit more adjustability fore and aft.

For me, I would rather carry an extra half-pound and have a saddle that "disappears" under me, than to save the half-pound and have a bike I don't really enjoy riding.

They have introduced an all-weather saddle, that has a rubber cover, similar to the Brooks Cambium line of saddles. As a company they do seem to be listening to their customers.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I think I read SA changed their design, but when I tried one years ago it was super saggy out of the gate. It just seemed like a bad idea unless you weighed 130 pounds.
I weigh 134 and after three years it has not sagged. And it does indeed "disappear" beneath me. I like to ride a lightweight bike, so the weight of the saddle bothers me psychologically, but I never think about it or feel it when I'm riding.

Thanks all for your input. I still may try a Berthoud if I can find a good used one just for "educational purposes".