Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-24-2024, 07:56 PM

Current state of press-fit BBs?

After almost 8 years away from road bikes I'm thinking about getting one again and wondering what the current thinking around press-fit BBs is.

Are they still prone to creaking or has that been sorted out and I shouldn't worry about it?

Given the choice I'll take a threaded BB over press-fit any day but maybe it's time for me to re-think that?

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!
Old 09-24-2024, 08:02 PM

There's a reason that so many brands (Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Cervelo, etc.) are moving away from press-fit BBs and back to threaded BBs.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:08 PM
n - 1

PF BB’s, as long as from reputable companies, seem to be working fine for me.

I had a CAAD10 which was creak-free until I sold it last year.
My current Open Upper is also silent. Albeit I don’t have too many miles on it yet.

I’d definitely choose threaded as well, but no problems with these PF’s.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:15 PM

TCR and Emonda

Timely thread. I'm also looking at a new carbon bike. Two contenders are the Giant TCR and Trek Emonda. Giant are press fit, Trek is T47 threaded. Anyone with experience with either bikes? Lots of friends on TCRs, no major BB issues that I've seen. One buddy had his bearings go bad and they creaked but don't think it was a frame issue.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:27 PM

No issue

I have no issue with the newest generation of Cervelos and BMCs using stock SRAM BB. The word is if it’s a premium from from a large manufacturer it will be solid. I would not worry on a Giant TCR.
Old 09-24-2024, 08:50 PM

As long as the manufacturer can make the shell to the correct spec, you'll be fine. Giant's tend to be very well constructed, and if they use the PF86 standard, many of your BB options are cost effective and quiet.

We've had some brands show up with BB shells not made to spec, that creaked or with the ID being undersize, killed BB bearings rapidly.
Old 09-25-2024, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
PF BB’s, as long as from reputable companies, seem to be working fine for me.

I had a CAAD10 which was creak-free until I sold it last year.
My current Open Upper is also silent. Albeit I don’t have too many miles on it yet.

I’d definitely choose threaded as well, but no problems with these PF’s.
If we define a reputable company as such that makes problem-free PF BBs than congrats, we've got a tautology on our hands! If we look on what are generally considered reputable companies (eg. your Cannondale) than it clearly does not work since every company that sells more than 10 frames a year will have multiple Google hits for '[brand] creaking press fit bb fix?'.
Old 09-25-2024, 06:32 AM

Never an issue with my Canyon Ultimate, bought in '18 have 40k miles and 3 shimano bbs during that time.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:18 AM

The problem with press fit is the fit. I'm not an engineer but I wouldnt think carbon/metal interface is the best candidate for this type of design. Whouldnt the act of pressing a bearing in remove some carbon/epoxy material and affect fit, and especially if that was done repeatedly? Also, the tolerances have to be very precise.

That said, I think the issues have been addressed in the aftermarket with designs like the Praxis collet, which expands the inner dia outward to make a tight fit. That seems like a great idea. I have a Wheels manufacturing BB in a press fit carbon frame. That one simply threads together-I dont think there is any collet action- and also ensures a tight fit. It has been fine.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:22 AM

I've never had a problem with BB86 or 386 using wheels manufacturing thread together BBs.
Old 09-25-2024, 07:23 AM

In cheapish frames the cheap poly SRAM PF BB's have been performing creak free and lasting. And I'm not a SRAM fan.
Old 09-25-2024, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marciero View Post
I have a Wheels manufacturing BB in a press fit carbon frame. That one simply threads together-I dont think there is any collet action- and also ensures a tight fit. It has been fine.
The thread together ones are a good solution. My Cervelo R3 has something very similar to the Wheels thread together BB. Has been trobule free for over five years and 15,000 miles. In fact the BB outlived my crankset (R8000 recalled by Shimano).
Old 09-25-2024, 08:22 AM

BB30 is where I had the most creaks, pops, and other noises.

PF30 seemed to be fine.

Threaded still wins for ease of service.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:05 AM

I built up a frame with a PF30 and sprung for a Wheels Manufacturing thread together PF BB. so far zero problems two years on.
Old 09-25-2024, 09:17 AM

I don't know exactly what I've had but I've had 2 bikes with PF BBs going back to 2011 and had zero problems.

Chainrings and cranks seem to be the weak point in terms of noise these days.