Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2024, 10:38 AM

Karoo to Garmin: Got My Data to Play Nice

I've had a pretty annoying issue trying to get my Karoo 2 activities into the Garmin ecosystem. I run with my watch in the winter, so come bike season I'm always "detraining". Turns out, there's an app called RunGap that solves this. It lets you transfer activities between platforms, including Karoo and Garmin (and MANY other ones), and it works pretty smoothly. You just download it, connect your accounts, and you can sync all your data, even set it up to auto-sync new activities without any extra effort. There’s a small yearly fee for the auto-sync, but it’s been totally worth it. It also syncs with Strava, Apple Health, and a bunch of others. So far, it's been the easiest way to keep everything in one place. No affiliation, just wanted to drop a psa.
Old 09-04-2024, 10:51 AM

This is cool; will take a look. Currently, I access the Karoo dashboard via mobile, download the FIT, and upload it to Garmin via their dashboard. About 30 sec of work, but definitely a manual process.

Thanks for the heads up!
Old 09-04-2024, 10:54 AM

That’s very cool, thanks for the info. I currently use a Garmin watch for heartrate, and read it on my Karoo2. I setup a Bike activity on the watch, and have it track power, etc and it reads the info from the Karoo2 and stores it in a workout. So by having the watch I can import the workout data from the Karoo2.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobuseri View Post
This is cool; will take a look. Currently, I access the Karoo dashboard via mobile, download the FIT, and upload it to Garmin via their dashboard. About 30 sec of work, but definitely a manual process.

Thanks for the heads up!
That was exactly my routine too—download from Karoo, upload to Garmin. But even with that, Garmin still wouldn’t fully absorb the data, meaning it didn’t affect my training status or other key metrics. RunGap fixed all that and now it syncs seamlessly.
Old 09-04-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosid View Post
That’s very cool, thanks for the info. I currently use a Garmin watch for heartrate, and read it on my Karoo2. I setup a Bike activity on the watch, and have it track power, etc and it reads the info from the Karoo2 and stores it in a workout. So by having the watch I can import the workout data from the Karoo2.
That's a crazy impressive workaround! But RunGap will definitely save you some time. No more juggling between devices—let it handle the syncing for you. Makes life way easier!
Old 09-04-2024, 02:50 PM

I just installed RunGap and synced to Garmin Connect and Karoo. It pulled in the Karoo cycling workouts, but none of my previous hikes or runs that were in Connect. Is this normal? I tried re-syncing twice with no joy.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derosid View Post
I just installed RunGap and synced to Garmin Connect and Karoo. It pulled in the Karoo cycling workouts, but none of my previous hikes or runs that were in Connect. Is this normal? I tried re-syncing twice with no joy.

I'd say be cautious with importing old data. I once synced all my Garmin/Karoo activities into RunGap, and it automatically started uploading everything to Strava. I only had to delete a few duplicates, but it could’ve been a disaster if I wasn’t paying attention.
Old 09-04-2024, 03:59 PM

Bummer looks like RunGap is only for iOS? No version for Android.
Old 09-05-2024, 08:41 AM

So far RunGap looks excellent. It imported previous workouts saved by the Karoo2 headunit. Although it did not import previous workouts that were in Garmin Connect, it did import a new workout this morning. So far it looks like an excellent way to collect workouts from many apps.
Old 09-05-2024, 10:37 AM

Yeah, same here; pretty impressed. I paid for the "Swap Bag" which enables the syncing, I think. All looks good. Hopefully, it will be around for a while.
Old 09-16-2024, 07:56 AM

Quick follow-up: I had issues with duplicates and incorrect stats while using RunGap. Their support was great, and here's what fixed it: 1) Disconnect Apple Health to avoid conflicts with Garmin/Hammerhead. 2) Let RunGap handle all exports to Strava to prevent duplicates. Worked perfectly!