Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2005, 04:39 PM

Think about using contact lenses

Have always used prescription glasses but now thinking about switching to contact leneses for training & racing. Thoughts?
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 PM

Another option...

I had lasik surgery 5.5 years ago...it was the best decision I've made in regards to my eyesight. For the longest time I was a contact user, but I always had problems given how active I was playing sports. I did plenty of research to find a doc that was right for me; this is important to do. During my last visit to my normal opthomologist (sp?) he couldn't find the incision from the lasik procedure.

Now my vision is 15/20 in my right eye and 20/20 in my left. Perfect for outdoor activities (especially when I play golf and can track my ball during the entire flight).

Last edited by tmanley; 10-21-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:06 PM

they them out

and see how you like them - as long as they are not custom gas perms the cost is almost nothing. I have been wearing gas perms for 30+ years, never had much of a issue - do 10+ hrs/wk with them, raced a bunch in them, never had to stop a ride or anything because of dirt, dust or anything - you learn to stay clear of problems areas - I don't ride in super strong winds, etc. get frames with good coverage.
Old 10-21-2005, 06:12 PM

I made the switch to contacts just because I was tired trying to keep my head up while in the drops. Contacts work fine, although I always wear protective sunglasses over them (when it is dark or cloudy I switch out the lenses to clear). I find that if I forget the sunglasses my eyes dry out from the wind. I also find that it is important to get sunglasses with good coverage up high for when I am in the drops (although I can look over the rims when needed and still see), and good blockage around the nose area. My first sunglasses were Maui Jim Kanahas with a very open nose area and the inside corners of my eyes would get very iritated from the wind. Now I use Rudy Project Kerosene glasses and I have no problem. Finally, and I'm sure you already thought of this, with contacts you will finally be able to wear all of the cool sunglasses you couldn't back when you had four-eyes.

BTW, contacts are also great for skiing for may of the same reasons.

Kevin
Old 10-21-2005, 06:19 PM

I wear soft contacts w/no problems. I do wear wrap-around glasses everytime I ride, though. Oakley M-Frames w/the Heater lens or Rudy Project Rydon's have worked for me.

When I wore gas permeable lenses, I got into a scary situtation once when I was doing a fast group ride. One of my contacts flew out of my eye, and we were riding essentially elbow-to-elbow. That's when I switched to soft contacts and haven't ever had that happen again.
Old 10-21-2005, 07:29 PM

Disposables

I've been a contact wearer for 20 years. I've always had soft lenses, but for the past 6 years or so have gone with the disposables. I don't wear contacts to work, so I only use them when riding or skiing. I'll use a disposable pair for a week or so before throwing them away. There are something like 40 or 50 lenses in a box, so they will last you a good long time if you are only using one set a week.
You will need to wear sunglasses in front of them, because of the dryness/irritation factor.
Also, if you have astigmatism or some other visual conditions, contacts may not give you as good visual correction as your glasses do. Your eye Doctor can fill you in on that.