Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 05:44 PM

Time to built CF bikes in the states

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...h#.ZBzj8RopBvI
Old 03-23-2023, 06:40 PM

Amazing news!

Now just to build a TT bike so we can see Time bikes back in the Tour.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:43 PM

Old 03-23-2023, 06:53 PM
Deconditioned!

Interesting! What is the reason for this?
Old 03-23-2023, 07:02 PM

i'm worried about the unskilled workers initially producing sub-par products compared to the far east. i assume it will take time to catch up
Old 03-23-2023, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Interesting! What is the reason for this?
Diversified manufacturing so what happened during the pandemic happens to a lesser degree. They must be gearing up to be a full production facility beyond just TIME frames. The article mentions 10,000 units per shift which I can't quite wrap my head around. This may go beyond just bikes.

"The initial machinery that will be used in South Carolina is based on manufacturing 10,000 units in one shift, and Time will have the ability to adjust that. "We expect this will lead to other projects, and potentially big projects, so we're putting it in an environment where it can grow rapidly."
Old 03-23-2023, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmalwo View Post
i'm worried about the unskilled workers initially producing sub-par products compared to the far east. i assume it will take time to catch up
Or maybe quite the opposite?

"Being located in a rich technology area was an important consideration for Time. BMW's U.S. manufacturing plant is in Spartanburg, and it has developed a longtime partnership with Clemson University on composites technology.

"Their composites program is leading edge," Karklins said. "They have done significant work over the last decade in resin transfer molding technology. And that's the reason why we've come to the area because we are the one bike company that exists in resin transfer molding. Resin transfer molding is the way automotive and aerospace are manufacturing carbon fiber products. So the tech is there."

Additionally, Time will work with Krauss Maffei — a BMW machinery and tech vendor — and S.C. Fraunhofer."
Old 03-23-2023, 07:39 PM

This is interesting and cool to see. I had a very nice ride on my Scylon today.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:35 AM

This is the town where I currently live in retirement. It is a fantastic area for riding both rod and mountain bikes. I read that they are working with Clemson University and their Advanced Manufacturing Group, it could lead to some great products. I hope they have an outlet store!
We also have the initial phase of a bike trail that will travel 30 mies and up the Saluda grade, which I think is the steepest railroad grade east of the Mississippi. (Others more knowledgeable may need to correct me on that, I'll not be insulted.) There are very popular routes up the Saluda Grade from Greenville, SC and from Tryon, NC, but one must compete with vehicles. My choice would be an unpaved trail that would be a sweet gravel ride.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:49 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Considering the rising expense of getting anything made and then transported to the US…and the ‘political climate’ with China, I think this is going to happen with a lot of manufacturing. Maybe little toys that come in bubble packs will still come from China but a lot of higher tech stuff, will be made in NorthAmerica and Mexico…our largest trading partner after China.

That is only good news for the US and potentially really bad news for China. A big reduction in trade with the US will hurt China.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:52 AM

It will be interesting to see how well the frames are made and how cost wise they will compare.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:07 AM

This has kind of been Tony Karklins' MO for a long time. I met him in Montreal when Guru was closing down and he was up there to buy out basically all their manufacturing line which would eventually be used in Arkansas to become Alllied. At the time I was a bit salty because I was there trying to only buy a frame building jig (which I didn't get because he bought everything), but I do give him a lot of credit for trying to pull production and jobs in house in the States. He genuinely seemed interested in building a high quality product in the US.

I'll be curious to see which products they produce in SC first.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:15 AM

In the video it appears that they make their own carbon fiber filaments as opposed to others buying the material from companies like Toray. Or maybe the video is misleading?
Old 03-24-2023, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliedid View Post
Diversified manufacturing so what happened during the pandemic happens to a lesser degree. They must be gearing up to be a full production facility beyond just TIME frames. The article mentions 10,000 units per shift which I can't quite wrap my head around. This may go beyond just bikes.

"The initial machinery that will be used in South Carolina is based on manufacturing 10,000 units in one shift, and Time will have the ability to adjust that. "We expect this will lead to other projects, and potentially big projects, so we're putting it in an environment where it can grow rapidly."
So, $4k per frame x 10,000 / day = quite a lot of sales?
Old 03-24-2023, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metalhips View Post
In the video it appears that they make their own carbon fiber filaments as opposed to others buying the material from companies like Toray. Or maybe the video is misleading?
The article mentions this as being one of the main reasons for locating in the area where the auto and defense industry already utilize the same process and technology. A good fit it seems.