Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JedB View Post
I rode with a police sgt. in Cordoba, Argentina when I was living there.
He had his service pistol in the center pocket of the cycling shirt.
He said he'd brandished it a couple of times, but never had to use it.

To the OP, good for paying attention to your surroundings.
The problem with this approach is that if you pull a gun out of your pocket and brandish it at someone, you'd better be d*mn well prepared to actually use it. A Police Sgt likely is.....I'd guess that most of the population is entirely not ready and thinks waving it will scare people off. That might work on some folks, until the other person also has a gun.....and then you have a problem that you might not outlive.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadmt View Post
32 gun in my pocket for fun and a razor in my shoe
So you are Leroy Brown...
Old 03-21-2023, 02:57 PM

Not sure how it is in other states, but in NY / NJ have first hand accounts of “pull a gun = $50k + in legal expenses”

Unless you’re a criminal. Then they just take it away from you and give you a candy bar.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJMUNC View Post
The problem with this approach is that if you pull a gun out of your pocket and brandish it at someone, you'd better be d*mn well prepared to actually use it. A Police Sgt likely is.....I'd guess that most of the population is entirely not ready and thinks waving it will scare people off. That might work on some folks, until the other person also has a gun.....and then you have a problem that you might not outlive.
I don't think he would have had an issue, given some of the details around his work.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
Personally, I think that's a great way to get yourself killed, but he remains alive at the time that I'm posting this.
How about now?
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-21-2023, 03:47 PM

Santa Ynez / Foxen Canyon isn't exactly a shady neighborhood. Drunk and clueless drivers are the only thing to worry about there -best riding in the mornings. If you get too weirded out, just stop by the closest winery and refill your water bottle.
Old 03-21-2023, 03:53 PM
Shrimp123

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Santa Ynez / Foxen Canyon isn't exactly a shady neighborhood. Drunk and clueless drivers are the only thing to worry about there -best riding in the mornings. If you get too weirded out, just stop by the closest winery and refill your water bottle.
if my memory is right, there is a stretch on Foxen canyon (after you turn from the winery road) and also another stretch on Drum Canyon, that are what the OP qualified as deserted. The Foxen canyon serves as a bypass and does see some interesting activity, esp. on holidays.
(basing this on a couple of long weekend visits with cycling buddies)
Old 03-21-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C40_guy View Post
How about now?
Hang on, let me text him real quick
Old 03-21-2023, 04:20 PM
Deconditioned!

GREG! Scary...even more so considering how tall you are. You are not in Kansas anymore. It sounds like you made the right choice. I'm so glad you're ok. It really sounds like you made the right choice. People really do suck.

I will gladly throw my bike (any of them) straight at the face of anyone coming too close to me. I imagine a chainring in the mouth isn't fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
I carry a Kimber pepper blaster on every ride just in case - thought about a 9mm but opted not to give myself the opportunity of lethal escalation which could likely be avoided.
This looks like a very good idea! I'm sure we all would love to not have to worry about this stuff. Sadly, that's not the world we live in. Kooks are everywhere. These seem very easy to carry. Being non-lethal, they seem like a pretty good idea.

I'm going to discuss these with the wifey to see what she thinks. Could be a good idea to have in her car too! We are in good areas...but you never know. The zombies have broken into houses and stolen cat converters nearby....so they are around.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:36 PM

Oops
Old 03-21-2023, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
GREG! Scary...even more so considering how tall you are. You are not in Kansas anymore. It sounds like you made the right choice. I'm so glad you're ok. It really sounds like you made the right choice. People really do suck.

I will gladly throw my bike (any of them) straight at the face of anyone coming too close to me. I imagine a chainring in the mouth isn't fun.

This looks like a very good idea! I'm sure we all would love to not have to worry about this stuff. Sadly, that's not the world we live in. Kooks are everywhere. These seem very easy to carry. Being non-lethal, they seem like a pretty good idea.

I'm going to discuss these with the wifey to see what she thinks. Could be a good idea to have in her car too! We are in good areas...but you never know. The zombies have broken into houses and stolen cat converters nearby....so they are around.
Lavi, first off, thanks for the posts of perfect bikes set up with perfect components. You tall guys (Clean, Jeff N, Lavi) sure have it together!

Someone with experience mentioned on this thread that if things escalate beyond the pepper blaster, you have nowhere to go without lethal back-up. That's true but also, if you carry a 9mm and use it, you may find yourself in court facing murder charges. I have opted for the pepper blaster but, as my later post mentions, I would never use it except as a last resort. It's not lethal but no one recovers quickly from a blast of pepper spray in the face and eyes. That gives you time to leave the scene and call the police. However, I do not recommend anything. This is only my choice and everyone needs to make their own decision.

Last edited by dcama5; 03-22-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 06:26 PM
formerly Landshark_98

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer View Post
Right that's what I thought. But in the half hour or so I was going out Foxen I was passed by 5 cars - the shady one and 4 pickups with storm debris. Like I said could have been nothing or some kids thinking about an opportunity for mischief or to grab something and get some cash on resale; never know these days I guess.

The winery gates were all locked - believe me I checked them out on my way back into town! Later once closer to town there were a lot of cyclists on the road in ones and two's, all on nice bikes. Maybe they were put off by the steel road bike and were waiting for a nice carbon Specialized to roll by...
Old 03-21-2023, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner View Post
So you are Leroy Brown...
willie mcCoy but down home they call me slim.
Old 03-22-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk007 View Post
... a nice carbon Specialized ...
Isn't that an oxymoron
Old 03-22-2023, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
...no one recovers quickly from a blast of pepper spray in the face and eyes. That gives you time to leave the scene and call the police.
That is a correct statement.

I sprayed *myself* by accident many years ago. Dog jumped out from between two parked cars, and in my haste to spray him, I got the bottle aimed backwards.

Fortunately I had glasses on and had a decent amount of water in a water bottle to rinse my eyes. Without the latter, I probably would have had to call 911.

I was (barely) okay to ride about ten minutes later, rode home and then went to urgent care, who repeated the rinsing. I have no idea what happened to the dog...I think it was rolling around on its back, laughing hysterically.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy