Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcama5 View Post
I carry a Kimber pepper blaster on every ride just in case - thought about a 9mm but opted not to give myself the opportunity of lethal escalation which could likely be avoided.

https://www.kimberamerica.com/pepper-blaster
As someone who has worked with less than lethal tools; it's important to know they were NEVER employed without lethal cover. The above can be a good tool, but understand if things escalate beyond that, you have nowhere to go.

Last edited by Nomadmax; 03-21-2023 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
If the cyclist hating public ever finds out how unstable we are standing on our cycling shoes, let alone squaring off in them, we are in huge trouble…
I learned long ago too take my cycling shoes off. One for solid footing and two....cycling shoes are pretty stout so keep them in your hands.
Old 03-21-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiezo View Post
Another option is a 22" steel retractable baton that I like to carry most of the time off the bike. A formidable piece of equipment if you know how/when to use it.
I carry one of those in the woods, along with a whistle and a can of Halt. These are mostly for keeping the coyotes at bay...but I would not hesitate to use any one of them on a hooman. I carry the Halt on my road bike, may also start carrying the whistle...but the baton is replaced by a frame pump.

I've used Halt on animals and threatened two people with its use. Felt bad about the animals, they had stupid human owners. Not their fault.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-21-2023, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
We go to Cape Cod to my sister's place for Thanksgiving every year and I bring a bike and usually get a 1-1/2 - 2 hours ride in. A few years ago, I noticed a blue pickup following me from time to time as i was headed back. It followed me down into the development of small private roads which are all dead end, you're not in there unless you're going to your house or someone you know. I decided I didn't want to ride back to the house and lead him there. I was on the Firefly with 25mm tires so I didn't think to cut into a yard and just ride away where he couldn't follow. So I did something dumb - I stopped, he stopped, and I just rode right towards him. He rolled down the window and yelled at me to "get off his roads!" Then he pealed out.

I went back to the house and then went down to the Sandwich Police Station. They actually knew who he was, and couldn't be bothered - "he's harmless."

Protect and serve.

Well, ****, what do you expect in a town named after a, um, sandwich.

(I live in that town....)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 03-21-2023, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadmax View Post
As someone who has worked with less than lethal tools; it's important to know they were NEVER employed without lethal cover. The above can be a good tool, but understand if things escalate beyond that, you have nowhere to go.
Yes, I considered that, but two things:

1. One does not recover quickly from a blast of pepper spray in the face and eyes, that gives you time to get out of Dodge and/or call the police.

2. Whatever way you go there is a downside. If you carry nothing, you rely on hope that everything will go okay. You mentioned the downside of the pepper blaster. If you carry a 9mm, you might be the one dead in a gun fight, or find yourself in court facing murder charges.

For me, it's the pepper blaster, but I haven't needed it yet and would only use it as a last resort in a potentially life-threatening situation. It's also ideal when encountering the unleashed, ugly dog that Nick mentioned earlier.

Last edited by dcama5; 03-21-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:22 AM

That is really weird. We have ridden that route many times with no incidents.
Too bad you could not have continued as Foxen Canyon is a spectacular ride, definitely in my top 10 rides. We usually ride out to the Rancho Sisqouc winery and back.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Perhaps I should count myself lucky as I have never, ever even remotely considered carrying a firearm or other weapon (besides my cinzano pump) while out riding my bicycle.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluz View Post
That is really weird. We have ridden that route many times with no incidents.
Too bad you could not have continued as Foxen Canyon is a spectacular ride, definitely in my top 10 rides. We usually ride out to the Rancho Sisqouc winery and back.
I did that route several months ago. It was eerily quiet through the canyon. Kind of spooky. I was happy to crest at the clearing.

Sorry you went through that, Greg. Always best to trust your instincts.
P.S. Did you check whether you set a Strava P.R. on the descent?
Old 03-21-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap View Post
I learned long ago too take my cycling shoes off. One for solid footing and two....cycling shoes are pretty stout so keep them in your hands.
This guy thought the same but seems like the act of removing shoes was the same as saying fights on. Because up till then driver is just yelling.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1355510276754440194
Old 03-21-2023, 11:49 AM

A buddy of mine in NYC, a single-speed type, carries one of those emergency window-breakers on his keychain. He apparently used it a few times when people would do terrible things to him in traffic. Just roll up next to them at a red light and break their window then scoot away.

Personally, I think that's a great way to get yourself killed, but he remains alive at the time that I'm posting this.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post
A buddy of mine in NYC, a single-speed type, carries one of those emergency window-breakers on his keychain. He apparently used it a few times when people would do terrible things to him in traffic. Just roll up next to them at a red light and break their window then scoot away.

Personally, I think that's a great way to get yourself killed, but he remains alive at the time that I'm posting this.
I’m hard pressed to think of a dumber response. (Your friend. Not you.)
Old 03-21-2023, 11:52 AM

I rode with a police sgt. in Cordoba, Argentina when I was living there.
He had his service pistol in the center pocket of the cycling shirt.
He said he'd brandished it a couple of times, but never had to use it.

To the OP, good for paying attention to your surroundings.
Old 03-21-2023, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkle View Post

LOL give it time
Old 03-21-2023, 12:33 PM

As a species, we are only about one step out of the cave. Some, unfortunately, still live there.

Tim
Old 03-21-2023, 12:46 PM
Randomhead

I broke my chain on the wrong side of the mountain one time, and had to push my 35 pound (at least) fatbike up the hill. There was a guy with an horrific haircut driving up the mountain at the same time at 2-3mph, barely faster than I was walking. It took him forever to get past me after I heard his awful music playing (I believe it was one of those k-tel "worst of the 70s collections), probably 20 minutes or more. And when he finally did pass me, he had his head facing opposite from me, obviously on purpose so I couldn't see his face. I think that was the most freaked out I have been on a bike.

Other than the music, the worst actual outcome of this ordeal was when I had to brake on the downhill because he was still only going 5mph when I caught him. And that meant I ran out of speed on the short uphill after that.

Later that the police were looking for this guy. Kind of hard to miss the haircut. I don't recall the alleged crime.