Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-27-2020, 07:20 PM

What's in the Workstand ? ?

Mixte for the Missus.
I was aware that flatbars with Campagnolo and low gearing would be a challenge but didn’t expect it to be that much PITA.
Well, fun to invest a little time rather than just go out and buy something for her

Not in the work stand but on the bench, little bike related mystery project:

Last edited by Gsinill; 10-27-2020 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:56 AM

Rebuilding the favorite.

Campy 11 planned
Old 10-28-2020, 05:51 AM
Administrator

that Soma and Merlin both - very cool stuff.

Can't wait to see the mystery project gsinill. truing stand? rd alignment tool?
Old 10-28-2020, 05:56 AM

This is what I'm working right now. A Wayne Evans (Denver area builder) built frame that I got from 3 time RAAM winner Bob Fourney. It had a lot of paint damage from some serious chain drop so I recently tore it down and had a local paint shop fix all the blue on the back end. Didn't want to redo all of it due to the uniqueness. Building it back up with Dura Ace 7700 bits I had laying around. So work nicely on the EL OS tubed bike. Stuck right now waiting on the right size stem to come in so I can finish it.

Here's how it looked with the old build.

Old 10-28-2020, 05:58 AM
Administrator

Thats cool James, very unique paint.

Remind me where you live? That looks like some tall gearing on that speedster.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joevers View Post
The Di2 Dreesens I bought on the forum a little while back. Ultegra di2 comes into stock again the first week of November and I'm thinking of jumping on it. I'll be borrowing a few things from other bikes to get it built (350's to belgiums from my partner, an R9100 compact crank from my Swiss Cross) and hoping to have it rideable by the end of november. Will of course have the biggest tubeless Vittoria Corsa I can fit, which looks like it'll be a 28.
Glad to see you building this. I'd still own it if I bought it before the Interclub, it was definitely one or the other. I really wanted to get a white ritchey seat post and stem to match the fork. It would really make it pop. I had 28c Vittoria Rubino Pros on there on HED Belgium+ rims that measured more like 30.

Two_bikes by Them Twisties, on Flickr

Last edited by stien; 10-28-2020 at 06:35 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:47 AM

Just got done turning my Jamis Aurora Elite into a flat bar baby hauler with a Wald 137 basket (powder coated by Soma), VO Granola bars, and some cheap shifters (Sora) and brakes (Tiagra) from ebay. I'm pleasantly surprised with the shift quality of the Sora triggers, and getting both shifters and brakes in a retail package was nice for the housing and cables. Not thrilled with the backsweep on the bars, so I ordered something with a little less backsweep (VO curvy) and more reach. ALMOST went for the VO crazy bars. Additionally, I still plan on building a new wheelset for this and cold setting the rear triangle to 135. It's a weird 130 OLD disc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201023_104318-01.jpg (143.1 KB, 488 views)
File Type: jpg 20201023_104326-01.jpg (102.6 KB, 482 views)

Last edited by Smitty2k1; 10-28-2020 at 06:51 AM.
Old 10-28-2020, 07:01 AM

Post World Series shakedown ride. Changed the drivetrain on the truckster to 1x with a really beefy FSA narrow wide. Need to find fenders that will work. Not much room leftover with 650B x 47 tires in there.

Old 10-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Vendor

Updates on my cross bike:

Completed my final de-sramification of my bikes with a GRX group from CL. Nothing against those who love sram but it's never done it for me and I'm happy to have a reduced set of bleed tools and knowledge. Will eventually go 2x but waiting on a new crank spindle for that at the moment

Playing with all kinds of tire/wheel/gearing combos. Ordered rotor shims to make swapping easier!

Spent far too long research BB options for this bike. I'm still a sucker (martyr?) for all of Cannondales proprietary stuff. Finally found a wheels MFG one that I think will work.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2020, 09:33 AM

Gotta get the brake toe in sorted on my WTOs. Great wheels but very persnickety about the toe in, otherwise you get the wail of th damned.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
that Soma and Merlin both - very cool stuff.

Can't wait to see the mystery project gsinill. truing stand? rd alignment tool?
Nope.
Will post a separate thread once I am done...
Old 10-28-2020, 11:41 AM

Rebuilding the Serotta with an Ultegra 11 speed group. Stripped it to the frame and built up with parts from a low mileage donor bike plus some new parts. Wrapping the bar tape is all that’s left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2020, 11:51 AM

A KS dropper and a gold XX1 chain just arrived for my F-Si today and they're going on tonight. There's some really rocky downhills here that a full suspension is for sure better for, but a dropper should get me half way there. I went with the Wolftooth I-Spec II lever since it's one of the only things in stock.

I just got my Lefty fork back from Cannondale and actually figured out how to set it up without a lockout (if you know this fork, its default position is locked and it usually needs a remote to unlock it) and put it back together this weekend. A winter with (for now) no road bike and no group rides means hopefully a lot of time on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1609 (1).jpg (160.5 KB, 421 views)
Old 10-28-2020, 11:58 AM
Vendor

My Ripmo has internal tunnels for routing the cables. I read a scary post about the housing seizing up over time. There was a recommendation that the outside of the housing be greased during install. So, last night I unbolted the shifter, brake, and derailleur so that I could shift the housing back and forth through the tunnels and grease.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:01 PM

Colorado (III) build-up

My 2011 Serotta Colorado, now being rebuilt after serving as a parts donor for this frame.

Shimano 105 (5800) group. Wheels by Yours Truly.

The Colorado came to me after a protracted negotiation with a popular shop just west of Boston not known for offering discounts, where it had sat in the basement for years. I built it up with a mix of 9100 DA, 8000 Ultegra, and DT Swiss handbuilt wheels.

In case anyone was wondering what happened to the HSG / Meivici, I bought the frame, the S3 fork, and the CK headset, all in immaculate condition, for the grand total of $746.00.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20201028_131345(1).jpg (140.1 KB, 408 views)