Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 12:23 PM

Bike and Beach Vacation

Last year our family went to Mallorca. It was our best vacation ever, my wife and kids (under 10) love the beach. My wife loves to hike and I love to bike (obviously). The combo of beach, bike and europe was amazing. Almost every morning I'd get up early, ride for a couple hours and get back right when the family was waking up, we'd eat some breakfast and hit the beach (or hike or walk around town). Everyone had an amazing time and I got to ride in the sun without missing any good family time.

We are looking to find a similar experience next year. Right now I'm looking at Italy (maybe Sicily, Puglia looks interesting) or perhaps Croatia. We'd probably go for two weeks at the end of June after school gets out, rent a car and go to several destinations with 3-5 days in each place. I'm wondering if anyone out there has any good recommendations.

Some wants:
  • Beach
  • good - safe cycling - hopefully good climbing
  • smaller towns
  • good food (that was Mallorca's one shortcoming - it was good, but heavy)
  • europe (probably)
  • in a perfect world not a total tourist trap

Mallorca

Old 03-23-2023, 12:46 PM

I've done 2 Italian bike hotel trips at Dory Riccione. Can't speak for any of the restaurants in the area as the trip was all inclusive with a good food every day.

https://www.hoteldory.it/?utm_source...m_campaign=gmb
Old 03-23-2023, 01:13 PM

Lake Annecy in France is worth considering. A beautiful lake and loads of cycling options.

Quote:
Lake Annecy, in the Haute-Savoie region of France, is fed by mountain springs and known for its clean water. At its north end, Annecy has a medieval old town with canals and bridges. The 13th-century Château de Menthon-Saint-Bernard perches above the lakeside village of Menthon-Saint-Bernard. The town of Saint-Jorioz has a popular beach. There are trails around the shore and pleasure boats dot the lake in summer.
I can't personally vouch for this location but I have a friend who goes every year and adores it, he has the same family circumstances as you do and they all come home with beaming smiles.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:26 PM

Off the top of my head:

1) Corsica

2) Dalmatian Coast

3) Sardinia

4) Calabria/Puglia
Old 03-23-2023, 01:31 PM

2nd vote for Riccione or similar towns on that coast. But, see thoughts below.

We did a 5-day there 2016 at Hotel Gran San Bernardo (Kelly Gerla, the manager, has since moved to another hotel in Cattolica, the next town south). Did a few days in Florence beforehand (on our own) and then Rome after (on our own).

Pluses:
- We were there in May. It was Giro season, so we did 2 days cycling, 1 day trip to watch some of the Giro, followed by the Ferrari museum, then 2 more days cycling. Weather that time of year is great for cycling.

- Cycling routes were rolling hills to small mountains. Plenty of options for climbing if you want it, but also possible to stick to easier routes.

- All routes had a mid-ride stop somewhere for a snack at least. Two had full lunch stops (one at an olive farm, another at a vineyard). Both of those were great food, great views. The snack stops were in old fortified hill towns or similar (Gradara, etc).

- Hotel had 3 pace groups - casual, moderate, very fast. The very fast group was mostly CTS clients - very SRS BZNS, very fast, usually doing 60-80 miles/day. I rode the moderate group each day, way what I'd call a B/C pace and 30-50 miles (not easy, but not exhausting). Wife split moderate and casual groups. Guests were basically free to select each morning, despite the groups being booked separately with different leaders.

- Car traffic was light once you get off the immediate coastal area.

- Cycling up to San Marino was cool. Several other old hilltop castle towns to ride through and make a cafe or gelato stop.

- Lots of variation in hotel price and quality. We were at a 3-star, which was typical of other mid-grade European hotels we've used elsewhere. Simple, but great location, and very reasonably priced (all-inclusive - breakfast, light lunch/snacks after ride, dinner with wine, bike rentals were extra but arranged through hotel).

- Meals were good but not great. Hotel was all cycling groups and meals were big group fare (not family style, just all the same dishes to everybody). Usually 4+ courses (salad, pasta, meat, dessert, etc).

- Laundry for cycling kit included daily. Nice addition to have that covered and not have to do it in the sink or pack 4 sets.

Minuses:
- That part of the coast is a bit of a party area during peak season. We were ahead of the crowds, but I suspect once you get into late May and into June, the amount of partying and oontz from nightclubs ramps up a lot.

- Weather in early/mid May is probably chilly for beach time.

- Beach strip is very built up. Sort of like an Italian Myrtle Beach. Not a negative necessarily, but that beach strip isn't nearly as picturesque as the hills a few miles inland.

Last edited by Alistair; 03-23-2023 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:07 PM

Setubal, Portugal

Here's one not on anyone's list (yet).

Just came back from a week's visit. A short ferry ride takes you to Europe's longest sand beach on Troia, some 60K of sand! You can ride for days in the Arrabida Park to the west or head east and south towards Comporta, Grandola and more. There are castles, monasteries and fortifications all about. Plenty of history and good wines as well. Its under an hour by public transport to Lisboa.

Almost forgot...site of the Volta ao Algarve, so you can ride where to Pros race!

Last edited by one60; 03-23-2023 at 02:09 PM. Reason: more stuff
Old 03-24-2023, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the responses.

The notion of a bike specific hotel isn't something I had thought of. Interesting.

Portugal had not been on my radar either. Will have to do some more looking at that.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:11 PM

As a European I am happy to hear you want to come back 👍🏻😇

There are so many places I could recommend - southern alps around Nice in France, Lake Garda in Italy, Mediterranean or Atlantic coast at the ends of the Pyrenees in France or Spain…could become a long list…

But my “second home” is the Spanish mainland in southern Andalusia on the coast (Granada/Malaga region).

The only drawback is there is almost no flat riding (which I personally don’t mind)

Your comment on the food in Mallorca I can’t get my head around - don’t want to come off like a snob but maybe you ended up in too many restaurants catering to English and German tourists who like heavy and big servings of food? 🏳️

The Spanish cuisine is normally quite light but there is of course a mix there - if you go for too much deep fried fish it will get very heavy yes 😉
Old 03-24-2023, 12:34 PM

Bol on the Dalmatian Coast and Vidova Gora climb (or hike)

Maratea and the Parco delle Stelle and Christ the Redeemer climbs (or hike)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:35 PM

I was stationed on Sardinia in 2007. I was at the north end of the island near LaMaddelena area. The cycling, food, beaches, and overall culture were great. Cannongione, Palau, the islands of LaMaddelena and Caprera (connected by a causeway) have some of the greatest beaches in the Mediterranean, and the resort area of Porto Cervo. I cycled all over the north end of the island and had no bad experiences except for a goat that took exception to me stopping to take a picture.

I've been to Croatia, Slovenia, and Montenegro, but only cycled in Montenegro. It was great riding, but we were more of a curiosity than anything else. I saw cyclists everywhere in Slovenia and they have beaches. The cool thing about the former Yugoslav republics are all the Soviet era buildings and resorts on the beaches. Last I checked, you could only fly into Montenegro via Russia, which is odd considering they're NATO.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
I was stationed on Sardinia in 2007. I was at the north end of the island near LaMaddelena area. The cycling, food, beaches, and overall culture were great. Cannongione, Palau, the islands of LaMaddelena and Caprera (connected by a causeway) have some of the greatest beaches in the Mediterranean, and the resort area of Porto Cervo. I cycled all over the north end of the island and had no bad experiences except for a goat that took exception to me stopping to take a picture.

I've been to Croatia, Slovenia, and Montenegro, but only cycled in Montenegro. It was great riding, but we were more of a curiosity than anything else. I saw cyclists everywhere in Slovenia and they have beaches. The cool thing about the former Yugoslav republics are all the Soviet era buildings and resorts on the beaches. Last I checked, you could only fly into Montenegro via Russia, which is odd considering they're NATO.
Mount Lovcen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9100751D-CF2D-48B4-994A-BEF869EEB089.jpg (113.1 KB, 107 views)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsew View Post
Thanks for the responses.

The notion of a bike specific hotel isn't something I had thought of. Interesting.
I don't think (m)any of them are 100% bike, but use bike tours to supplement during shoulder season. Either way, there are quite a few in Italy with years of experience doing these tours and it's a great option to see some of the country by bike without doing a lot of planning.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:30 PM

We were admittedly in areas with heavy english and german tourist activity. We had some great meals, but it was hit or miss. Maybe we just we're persistent enough in our restaurant searches! Hungry kids lead to compromises! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
As a European I am happy to hear you want to come back 👍🏻😇

There are so many places I could recommend - southern alps around Nice in France, Lake Garda in Italy, Mediterranean or Atlantic coast at the ends of the Pyrenees in France or Spain…could become a long list…

But my “second home” is the Spanish mainland in southern Andalusia on the coast (Granada/Malaga region).

The only drawback is there is almost no flat riding (which I personally don’t mind)

Your comment on the food in Mallorca I can’t get my head around - don’t want to come off like a snob but maybe you ended up in too many restaurants catering to English and German tourists who like heavy and big servings of food? 🏳️

The Spanish cuisine is normally quite light but there is of course a mix there - if you go for too much deep fried fish it will get very heavy yes 😉
Old 03-24-2023, 05:31 PM

That does look QUITE nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Bol on the Dalmatian Coast and Vidova Gora climb (or hike)

Maratea and the Parco delle Stelle and Christ the Redeemer climbs (or hike)
Old 03-24-2023, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Mount Lovcen
One thing about the former Yugoslav republics, English is widely spoken. Back in the bad old day with Marshall Tito, their primary trading partner was the Soviet Union. Although the alphabet looks similar, the Serbian language is nothing like Russian, so the trade language was English. Slovenia was not seriously affected by the Balkan wars because they declared independence and closed their borders with national guard when everything fell apart. They were also the banking capital of Yugoslavia, you don't bomb your money.

I was in Montenegro for two weeks with the repair ship doing community relation work in Tivat and Kotor. We painted a soccer stadium, built swingsets (with stainless steel pipe), and drank lots of beer with the locals. The riding was good but kind of surreal when you know the big patch of asphalt on the road is because we bombed it. USAID built the water treatment plants in the country, so you can drink the water. And Bill Clinton is like a god over there.