Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2023, 10:18 AM

Challenge Tires Feedback?

Challenge Tires look great, apparently are comfortable and roll smoothly but can be insanely difficult to mount

anybody have additional feedback? looking into the strada biancas but wouldnt be opposed to Strada clinchers for the road bike if they're on par with Corsas
Old 03-24-2023, 10:58 AM

Challenge

My Experience with modern Challenge tires has been that the ride nicely, but they are fragile and become a debacle if/when you do flat.

I had a set of the gravel tires and also Strada Biancha road tires.
With the gravel tires, the tread started to delaminate almost immediately. Also, I got a flat on the 2nd ride. Don't even really hit anything, and tire was cut. Here comes the problem. The tires revert back to their laying flat in a box state. Very hard to remove, get a tube in, get going again. Anyone with low to mediocre tire changing skills would still be out on the trail.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:00 PM

Reiterating my points from the other recent challenge thread:
I’ve only had good experiences with challenge over the last 6 years (at least)
Strada Bianca Race and pro
Gravel grinder race and pro
Chicane race
Baby Limus race and pro
Almanzo pro
Old 03-24-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDJ View Post
Reiterating my points from the other recent challenge thread:
I’ve only had good experiences with challenge over the last 6 years (at least)
Strada Bianca Race and pro
Gravel grinder race and pro
Chicane race
Baby Limus race and pro
Almanzo pro
Ah im so silly, I completely skipped past the other Challenge thread

but glad to hear a positive experience
Old 03-25-2023, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnzcapital View Post
Challenge Tires look great, apparently are comfortable and roll smoothly but can be insanely difficult to mount

anybody have additional feedback? looking into the strada biancas but wouldnt be opposed to Strada clinchers for the road bike if they're on par with Corsas
I would not use them tubeless. My issues might have all been the result of tubeless use and also might be related to a single tire type (Gravel Grinder Pro).

The positives are they roll and feel great and are not nearly as difficult to mount as people think. Also, their warranty service is really good and they help.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:08 AM

Great experience here with the Strada Bianca Race in 700x36c on my CX/Groader GP Suisse bike.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:22 AM

I used a 36 Getaway for SBT last year and was pleased with it. Definitely one of the better riding gravel tires and far faster rolling than it looks. Mounting wasn't too terrible though took a bit longer than normal. You will need a lot more sealant than you think to really get them airtight given natural cotton casing.
Old 03-25-2023, 08:28 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
My Experience with modern Challenge tires has been that the ride nicely, but they are fragile and become a debacle if/when you do flat.
I could have written that exact sentence!

[edit: Actually, now that I think about it... I don't recall them being a "debacle" in terms of being difficult to mount (or unmount). It's just that they were so fragile that I was constantly off the ride at the side of the road changing a flat. Probably 2x or 3x more often than with the Continental GP4000S or 5000 that I replaced them with.]

Last edited by Bob Ross; 03-25-2023 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-26-2023, 03:12 PM

Do not recommend

I bought a pair of Strada Bianca TLR 36mm - apparently they're the vulcanised ones. Holding air was really a problem with one - I eventually cured this by spending a good week lying on its side increasing the pressure bit by bit. It was the sidewall that was bubbling, not any of he rim interface areas. The second one started to "split" along the herringbone tread - eventually this occurred to the first as well...

The ride is great - but I'm using them up as commuters since I have to pump up every 2 days. To contrast I just built a pair of 650s and the Gravel King semi-slicks are a revelation in comparison - no issues, hold pressure for a week.

Definitely avoid.