Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2023, 07:52 PM

Wipperman Connex

I've been alternating between two hot waxed chains for the past year and am a fan. However, that means swapping chains every week/10 days and I've been slowly but surely churning through YBN quick links and the 8ish on/off cycles they seem to last.

I was reluctant to go wipperman connex because of price, but their theoretically infinite reuse now seems tempting. Anybody here using them and opening/closing them regularly? What kind of longevity do you actually get out of them?
Old 03-23-2023, 07:59 PM

I had a 10 speed Mavic chain when I rode 6600 Ultegra.
From what I understand, they're made by Wipperman.
Back then I didn't have a chain cleaner so I would remove the chain and scrub with a Park brush and soap.
The link is super easy to remove and reinstall. It slides. There's no click like the SRAM or KMC links.

It did however slip off when my rear wheel was off and the chain not under tension. Took me a good 15 minutes or more to find it. So just be wary of that possibility.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:14 PM

Dave Rome has an old article on Cyclingtips that went in-depth on this topic. Might be a good read!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2023, 08:15 PM

Quick links

I haven't been waxing for over a year. But I did wax for a 4 year stretch. Always re-used my SRAM quick links. Never had a failure. This was on road, mtb and gravel bikes.
Old 03-23-2023, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
I haven't been waxing for over a year. But I did wax for a 4 year stretch. Always re-used my SRAM quick links. Never had a failure. This was on road, mtb and gravel bikes.
How much did you reuse them though? I can get maybe ten out of the YBN ones before they develop play and become really hard to install.
Old 03-23-2023, 11:05 PM
Deconditioned!

Connex should be good for pretty much ever. I last used them with my 10s stuff. Never had any issues after lots and lots of use.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavi View Post
Connex should be good for pretty much ever. I last used them with my 10s stuff. Never had any issues after lots and lots of use.
Agree…just don’t reuse them if the chain is worn out. Cuz the link is too.
Remember that Connex links have an ‘up and down’, are ‘directional’…most gradual ‘arc’ of the link towards the cogset.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredd View Post
I've been alternating between two hot waxed chains for the past year and am a fan. However, that means swapping chains every week/10 days and I've been slowly but surely churning through YBN quick links and the 8ish on/off cycles they seem to last.

I was reluctant to go wipperman connex because of price, but their theoretically infinite reuse now seems tempting. Anybody here using them and opening/closing them regularly? What kind of longevity do you actually get out of them?
I've got over 5,000 miles on the one on my Alchemy eRonin. I undo it to remove the chain for cleaning and re-lubing about every 250-300 miles, and both link and chain are fine. I recommend them highly.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:28 AM

Excellent chains and I believe the best connecting link available. I generally use the “nickel” models.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
Remember that Connex links have an ‘up and down’, are ‘directional’…most gradual ‘arc’ of the link towards the cogset.
Thanks for that, easy to remember. Even for old people.

Yep, I’m a fan as well. IME just about as good as the top of the line Campagnolo or Shimano.
Old 03-24-2023, 07:40 AM

I have used them exclusively for road and gravel for years. I use the 11sx. The Bikesmiths have them on sale occasionally. I stock up when they go on sale. They last a LONG time. James Huang wrote a piece on them a couple years ago.

https://www.cyclingtips.com/2020/04/...-chain-review/
Old 03-24-2023, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John H. View Post
Been waxing for 3+ years and have always reused the quick links on Shimano, YBN and SRAM chains. Never had issues.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:33 AM

I use the Connex links on my 9 and 10s drivetrains. I like that they are tool free to remove the chain, but cost is a factor. YBN links are good and KMC also if you don't get counterfeit ones.
Old 03-24-2023, 10:42 AM

Fully endorse the Wipperman Connex here. I get one for each chain in my wax rotation and it stays with that chain until I retire the set.

I'm using them on 8/10/11 speed chains and for some reason the cost varies with # of speeds.

Longevity and tool-less removal are worth a lot to me. I would never go back to chain oil or fussy links.

Just over 2 years on wax/Connex. Road, CX, MTB -rain or shine (but mostly shine)

Last edited by bshell; 03-24-2023 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Duration of use
Old 09-20-2023, 06:51 PM

12 speed

Any use the 12 speed versions?

Any experience with using it on a Campy drivetrain?