Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-16-2024, 08:46 AM

Hookless rims blowoff resolved

Some time ago there was a lengthy discussion on tubeless/hookless caused by a video of a Continental tire blow-off at 5 bar air pressure. The rim in question was measured by Continental and found to have rim sides that were too short and a bead diameter that was too small. I recently received my third set of BTLOS hookless wheels with no spoke access holes that require no rim tape. All are working great. My Zipp 303s wheels now have a new home. They worked great too, just wasn't fond of rim tape.

Here's a link to the new video, explaining the out of tolerance rims.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1xvlifJI2E
Old 02-16-2024, 09:25 AM

Poor guy that video is a bit terrifying. Those Extralite rims should be recalled.

For 2400 Euros the rims should have just been made at the upper end of the spec for wall height and diameter and then they should have released an approved tire list that they knew were able to be mounted & were safe. Rims dangerously out of spec seems more like what you'd expect of a walmart bike, not a 2400 Euro wheelset.

Last edited by benb; 02-16-2024 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:27 AM

No fan of tape either. I’ve never had sealed carbon rims but hope to some day.

My zipp xplr wheels are currently out of commission because they need new tape that is specific to the rim that costs $30.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:29 AM

Even on MTB rims I feel like the tape is an utter hack.

It still blows my mind we ended up here. All the way back in 2005-2006 I was incredulous that Stan was going to beat out Mavic when Mavic's solution just worked and Stan had us futzing with tape. My first (Mavic) tubeless setup didn't need tape and worked reasonably well without sealant!

Realistically I feel like if the engineering was there we wouldn't even be talking about Sealant.

Especially if the rims arrive factory taped, like what's the point, why shouldn't they just engineer it to work without tape.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:29 AM

Someone should let him know it’s been the Czech Republic and Slovakia for a long time now.

Last edited by Likes2ridefar; 02-16-2024 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-16-2024, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post
Even on MTB rims I feel like the tape is an utter hack.

It still blows my mind we ended up here. All the way back in 2005-2006 I was incredulous that Stan was going to beat out Mavic when Mavic's solution just worked and Stan had us futzing with tape. My first (Mavic) tubeless setup didn't need tape and worked reasonably well without sealant!

Realistically I feel like if the engineering was there we wouldn't even be talking about Sealant.

Especially if the rims arrive factory taped, like what's the point, why shouldn't they just engineer it to work without tape.
Unfortunately, Mavic ain't what they were. Aksium rims I have need tape. Agree, tape is a kludge and a pain and a failure point.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Someone should let him know it’s been the Czech Republic and Slovakia for a long time now.
Czechia
Old 02-16-2024, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Unfortunately, Mavic ain't what they were. Aksium rims I have need tape. Agree, tape is a kludge and a pain and a failure point.
Yah it kind of seems like making this all work without tape and/or sealant just seems to require too much coordination across the entire industry.

I very much remember back when this was all starting it seemed like the majority of riders were happier to mess with tape possibly dangerous setups if it saved them even 1g. It seemed like it was all anybody cared about. "Stan's is lighter, Stan's is lighter!" (This was obviously MTB, not road)

If no one wants to make tires with Mavic or whoever to come up with a more sensible system it's just not going to happen.

Funny cause Mavic has made their own tires and they have never seemed worth even using.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdp211 View Post
Czechia
Yes that is another name.

The Czech Republic,[c][12] also known as Czechia,[d][13] is a….per Wikipedia.
Old 02-16-2024, 10:40 AM

Looks like there's a typo in his chart. The nominal (ETRTO) outer diameter should be 134 mm, not 133 mm.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:03 AM
Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
No fan of tape either. I’ve never had sealed carbon rims but hope to some day.
I got my first set of BTLOS wheels(hooked) a few weeks ago and went with no spoke holes. I did request drain holes in the side of the rims though.

Anyways, I fully understand building wheels without spoke holes is a pain, but once built, it really isnt too tough to replace a spoke, in the off chance that one breaks. It would add like 1min to the job for me.
Between the low odds of even having to replace a spoke and the extremely minor change in time to replace a spoke, I am really happy I went with no spoke holes in the rim bed.

45mm Conti Terra Speed tires went on with some grunting and locked in with pops right away.
It was so much nicer than my perpetual struggles with the old wheels- rim tape would constantly creep up and need to be fully changed if the tires ever moved once initially installed. Tires wouldnt seal without a fight because all were too loose- didnt matter the brand or model.
Just a total frustration.