Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-11-2023, 03:10 PM

CAAD 13 Gravel conversion?

Hey Everyone!

I have a 2021 Cannondale CAAD13 disc with Shimano 105 that i was thinking about swapping tires on and using as a gravel bike.
Would this work for basic gravel riding even though it is a road bike technically? The bike came with 28s and google says it can fit 32s…i would probably play it safe and go 30s.
I am just hesitant to take a road bike and ride it on anything but smooth asphalt, but i have seen people on here take road bikes on some crazy terrain.
What should i look out for? I would assume the frame could handle being on gravel if the pro road bikes withstand the cobbles in Paris–Roubaix and other cobbled classic races?
Old 02-11-2023, 03:17 PM

I wouldn't consider anything you would do to that bike to be a gravel conversion, but it's totally fine to ride a bike like that on dirt. Lots of us have done it. With tires like that, it will be tricky if the surface is particularly loose, and if it's bumpy you will have to go slower, but on something like smooth dirt roads, it will be totally fine.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:27 PM

It’ll be great for well-maintained gravel. Might want to raise the bars a bit if you run them low on the road.

I’d see if you can find some wheels/tires to fit with friends or LBS to see just how big you can go.

A file-tread 32 or 35 would be a nice choice for mixed use, but something like a 35mm G-One would be better for majority dirt/gravel.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:29 PM

I guess i should rephrase my intentions:
I found a few gravel events within a 2 hour drive and i would like to try them, but i do not want a dedicated gravel bike for the few times i would use it.
So my intent is to replace the slicks with file treads or something similar and use the CAAD that i have.
I will be a mid pack guy, not looking to win any KOM’s or get and segments, just ride on dirt/gravel.
I do not use the caad much as i have 4 other dedicated road bike, so this would let it get some use and keep me from getting a real gravel bike like a trek checkpoint or specialized diverge.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcgill View Post
I guess i should rephrase my intentions:
I found a few gravel events within a 2 hour drive and i would like to try them, but i do not want a dedicated gravel bike for the few times i would use it.
So my intent is to replace the slicks with file treads or something similar and use the CAAD that i have.
I will be a mid pack guy, not looking to win any KOM’s or get and segments, just ride on dirt/gravel.
I do not use the caad much as i have 4 other dedicated road bike, so this would let it get some use and keep me from getting a real gravel bike like a trek checkpoint or specialized diverge.
Where are you located and what kind of gravel is it? Can’t hurt to try. I’d grab a pair of the fattest tires that’ll fit with some minimal tread. Like Schwalbe G One, etc. Tubeless is a plus if your wheels allow.

Always best to try something before you splash on a whole new bike etc.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:10 PM
Meh

Where do live and how heavy are you? I used to ride a road bike with 28s on gravel roads and dirt paths in New York State regularly. 30s or 32s would be plush!

On the other hand, even though you technically can do this on the West Coast with our steep ass rutted fire roads, I wouldn’t ever recommend it. And yes yes I know Jobst Brandt blah blah blah.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:23 PM

Just do it.
I have been riding my road bike on gravel since back in the day, that was a full on race rig with 23's.
I currently do have a dedicated gravel bike, but I still take my road bike (fitted with 28's) out sometimes on some rides that have gravel sections, unless the gravel has huge rocks and single track you will be absolutely fine.
Just go out and have fun
Old 02-11-2023, 05:08 PM

I live in NW Indiana, i am a 45 minute drive from Chicago and a 45 minute drive to SW Michigan.
The gravel would be all around SW Michigan as we do not have much in Indiana.
That is why IMO a dedicated bike would be a waste as it would be a 1-3 hour drive to find gravel.
No crazy west coast rutted fire roads or crazy climbs.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:40 PM

Same answer - but since you’re racing, find out what the surface is like. If it’s packed dirt or groomed gravel, you’ll be fine on the CAAD with the largest tire you can fit. If it’s chunky gravel, I maintained fire road, or single track, it’ll still work, but you could be seriously underbiked. Either way, do it, just set expectations according to terrain.
Old 02-11-2023, 05:50 PM
Sunshine

Quote:
I live in NW Indiana, i am a 45 minute drive from Chicago and a 45 minute drive to SW Michigan.
That is why IMO a dedicated bike would be a waste as it would be a 1-3 hour drive to find gravel.
I wouldn't want to ride 32mm tires on gravel more than 1mi at a time to connect some paved routes during a ride. Maybe 4 or so times over a 30mi ride. And that gravel would ideally be well traveled and not loose/deep.

A 40mm is as narrow as I would want for any riding where 50% or more of gravel. My gravel bike has 43mm tires right now.

^but this is me and everyone is different. Maybe you are happy with 32mm tires on the same terrain.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
There's really no harm in giving it a try. Yeah, there are some things that you won't be able to ride that you could with a proper gravel bike and larger tires, but more often than not being underbiked just means going slower.
Old 02-11-2023, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
I wouldn't want to ride 32mm tires on gravel more than 1mi at a time to connect some paved routes during a ride. Maybe 4 or so times over a 30mi ride. And that gravel would ideally be well traveled and not loose/deep.

A 40mm is as narrow as I would want for any riding where 50% or more of gravel. My gravel bike has 43mm tires right now.

^but this is me and everyone is different. Maybe you are happy with 32mm tires on the same terrain.
I started riding gravel on a cross bike with knobby 32s before gravel bikes were the rage. I enjoyed it.

I run 40mm now and if I needed wider, I’d just ride my mountain bike (w/ XC tires). But I’m not on the west coast and no clue what terrain is like in IA. Gravel here tends to be reasonably well groomed. The chunky fire roads and usually bad enough or steep enough or lead to single track, so a mtb makes sense.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I’m in Berrien Co, Mi and if you’re headed up here for gravel 32mm file treads are mostly fine, although this is pretty condition-dependent. Most gravel roads here are really more like hard-pack dirt, unless the road commission dumps a bunch of rock down, or sprays the roads in which case it takes a few weeks for stuff to settle. I like the gravelking slick or semi slick tires for mixed surface riding around here, I don’t feel as though I need more aggressive tread.

BRX and most of the other southern MGRS races are like 95% rideable on 32s. If it’s dry and packed it’s a fast setup, if is sloppy or loose you might want a bit more tire. One of my teammates won the short course series running 35mm conti terra speeds all season.
Old 02-11-2023, 07:13 PM
NJ/NashV/PDX

I am just over 200 lb and might consider 30mm tire right at the minimum. I diddled MotoCross for 9+ years and lots of off road on two wheels in my life. So I seem to have a good gyro built in.

I'd sure take something that fits 38s min for all day outing. 30s be lots of body english expending lot of energy. And when you need float there is no substitute if you ask MOI.

If you got a decent gyro in your balance system, weigh under 165 lb I'd say 30s be fine until you hit stuff your rather have float for. You won't with smaller tires, maybe a little if tubeless and low low pressures. Then your gonna pay on the hard pack and paved if any.

I've run my Domane Classic with both 30mm G-One Zero HT tubulars and Ritchey Apline JB 30mm @ 65 PSi and only got into some unruly corrections if I came in too hot in a softer turn.

@ my weight a 30mm pushes into soft fast and deep.

Some regular CX tubulars @ low pressures on all stone, especially if not ballast be totally manageable IMO unless you fall over easily.

It is going to be all about the conditions...
Old 02-12-2023, 06:46 AM

Back when they were called "spring classics" up here (like the Hell of Hunterdon and Tour of the Battenkill) used my caad10 with 28s without issue. Now I prefer wider tires and disc brakes for gravel events but other than mud shouldn't really be a problem, take it easy, see if you like it. Oh and even the older synapses could fit a 35 with a few mm on each side, if you have a wheel you could borrow to test fit.

Tags
cult of caad