Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 AM
Lanterne rouge

Thoughts on the Cannondale Slate?

So, after a bunch of moving around lately I have settled in the hills north of Tucson. There is tons of road riding and I am in love but something about the roads and terrain draws me to look at the Cannondale Slate. Looks like a fun bike and with a couple of changes it looks to be the perfect bike for around here. Anyone ride one? Pros? Cons?
They seem to be pretty affordable too. Found a new one in an unopened box for 700. Debating if I open it and assemble or just move it on.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cicli View Post
So, after a bunch of moving around lately I have settled in the hills north of Tucson. There is tons of road riding and I am in love but something about the roads and terrain draws me to look at the Cannondale Slate. Looks like a fun bike and with a couple of changes it looks to be the perfect bike for around here. Anyone ride one? Pros? Cons?
They seem to be pretty affordable too. Found a new one in an unopened box for 700. Debating if I open it and assemble or just move it on.
Depends. I have an Apex 1, was 900 nib but its a 2017, rigid fork. I couldn't source the Oliver anywhere used, so I put on a PBR.
Its a fun bike on actual gravel. On the road its really heavy. The stock wheels especially. I have a set of Crests as well, nicer, but the Cannondale hubs weigh a ton. The gearing gaps suck. Its overgeared for hilly stuff out of the box, I'd change the front chainring. Stem is proprietary.

I suspect with a compact 2x it would be a nice rig.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Lanterne rouge

Quote:
Originally Posted by glepore View Post
Depends. I have an Apex 1, was 900 nib but its a 2017, rigid fork. I couldn't source the Oliver anywhere used, so I put on a PBR.
Its a fun bike on actual gravel. On the road its really heavy. The stock wheels especially. I have a set of Crests as well, nicer, but the Cannondale hubs weigh a ton. The gearing gaps suck. Its overgeared for hilly stuff out of the box, I'd change the front chainring. Stem is proprietary.

I suspect with a compact 2x it would be a nice rig.
Yeah, the one I picked up is the 105 with crummy gearing and a rigid fork. These rural Arizona roads are garbage and the road bike on it stinks. I am just thinking that the larger tire and different geometry may work well for the roads Iwant to ride.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:15 AM

If you fix the gearing its a nice bike. The tires are Gravelkings and are very nice, its tubeless ready but shipped with tubes. The only thing to be aware of is that its 42 max tire width, which limits choices somewhat.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:25 AM

After an elbow injury changed my reach and at times can just plain hurt from riding I spent a lot of time riding all of the front suspension or soft front end featured bikes I could. I never got a long enough time with a Slate to rule it out but did ride enough to agree with the opinion that it's money pit in the sense that you'll want to upgrade everything. And if you don't have the Oliver you'll be missing out on the best feature.

We just moved back to AZ ourselves and I know the kind of nasty gravel roads you speak of. I put some good miles on a 2017 Warbird and found the fork to be more forgiving than most, would have been happy with one I think. I also rented a Lauf gravel bike from McDowell Mountain bike shop in Fountain Hills and that Lauf fork was great. Whenever I add another gravel bike it is very likely to be a Lauf. Also tried a Diverge with the steering tube suspension, didn't like it but also didn't ride it enough to say it's a bad thing.

As I was after a road bike primarily I ended up with a Trek Domane with Isospeed front and rear. The direct mount rim brake version. It fits 30s nicely and with the forgiving front end I haven't had any elbow problems, and I've taken some side roads that sucked and beat the crap out of my wife on her 28 clad road bike.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:13 AM

I think they look great. I am always tempted to buy one.
Old 04-26-2019, 10:21 AM

Mine is a ton of fun- it's the Ultegra version with 52/36 chainrings.
The geometry is really nicely executed.
In fact, I rarely ride roads with other people these days, so I actually sold my regular road bike and just use this instead. I may order a set of 700c wheels and see how it feels with 28mm tires.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:41 AM

I come back to it often, I can see it's flawed but still think it is a pretty cool bike.

For me, I don't really understand the 52/36 gearing on the ultegra model. Compact or even subcompact makes more sense.

To get the most out of it I think I would also slap a set of those Next wheels that are specific for this bike. https://nextcycling.com/products/xplor-slate
Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM

oops nvm
Old 04-26-2019, 11:52 AM

I had one for a little while. It's a fun bike, but I much prefer my regular gravel bikes. Mine was 105 with a lefty Oliver. It's the only bike in recent memory that I ejected myself from. The non suspended version probably won't have that issue.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Old 04-26-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpea View Post
I come back to it often, I can see it's flawed but still think it is a pretty cool bike.

For me, I don't really understand the 52/36 gearing on the ultegra model. Compact or even subcompact makes more sense.

To get the most out of it I think I would also slap a set of those Next wheels that are specific for this bike. https://nextcycling.com/products/xplor-slate
Agree on the gearing, and mine has the Hollowgram chainrings so replacement options are limited. 46/34 would be perfect.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:44 PM

Old 04-26-2019, 01:14 PM

I would not buy a Slate right now. It is well past due for an upgrade and the obvious new path for them is to put a variant of the ocho fork on there, which would be killer rad.

They designed the bike before 650bx47 took off, so you're super limited for tire choices and 650b x 42 doesn't necessarily get you the cush or the ground clearance you might want to really take advantage of the plush fork.

Plus all the points everyone else has noted on gearing.

This was a progressive bike 4+ years ago, but was setup to be more of a road bike, vs an aggressive gravel bike, which is what I think the market wants from this bike given the unique suspension.

I would put what the slate should be in the same category as a rodeo trail donkey.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:43 PM
Daniel

42mm 650B is a wonderful size!

My question is whether ja need a squish fork.

Last edited by 559Rando; 04-27-2019 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 04-27-2019, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 559Rando View Post
42mm 650B is a wonder size!

My question is whether ja need a squish fork.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
I like the fork. Lots. It's just enough to take the edge off gravel roads.

I bought mine second hand with upgraded gearing... 11-36 cassette and new ultegra rear derailleur. 52*11 it's not very useful but 36*36 it's low enough for me.

I did upgrade the wheelset with dtswiss 240 hubs and chinese mtb carbon rims.

I have mixed feelings about the stock tires. They roll great but are somewhat fragile and only good on dry terrain.

Fun bike for mixing dirt and road rides.

Enviado desde mi F3111 mediante Tapatalk