Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 06:32 PM

Black Inc Handlebar/Stem

Anyone have any direct experience with these. They sure look the business, but actual reviews are pretty sparse.
Thx.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:07 PM

I do.

Pros- Very light. Pinch bolts thread into replaceable alloy inserts in case you mess something up. Has holes to run a completely hidden Di2 setup with a bar end junction. Grooves under the tops so you don't have to mess with routing brake housing internal.

Cons- Obviously cannot adjust bar angle for personally preference or different HTA. Ideally I would "roll" the bars up a hair in certain setups. If you use the Black Inc integrated out front mount, You will need to shim the the rear mounting bolt with a small washer like a presta nut to get an ideal angle for your head unit. And lastly they are $$$
Old 05-29-2020, 07:40 PM
aka RAEKWON

I had a set on my english. They were pretty nice and looked really good. For some reason the garmin mount mounted crooked so I had to rig it a bit to look right... now lets not forget this is a $600 bar/stem combo and I would have been super pissed had I not got it for an amazing deal here on PL. So I do think its a nice piece but I would not pay anywhere close to $600 for it, that is for damn sure.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
I do.

Pros- Very light. Pinch bolts thread into replaceable alloy inserts in case you mess something up. Has holes to run a completely hidden Di2 setup with a bar end junction. Grooves under the tops so you don't have to mess with routing brake housing internal.

Cons- Obviously cannot adjust bar angle for personally preference or different HTA. Ideally I would "roll" the bars up a hair in certain setups. If you use the Black Inc integrated out front mount, You will need to shim the the rear mounting bolt with a small washer like a presta nut to get an ideal angle for your head unit. And lastly they are $$$
Agree with all of these, though I never felt the computer mount needed the angle adjusted. Positive experience so far with the Black Inc.

Edit: adding to this, the Black Inc. bar shape mimics the FSA Energy Compact bar including the slight outward flare of the bar. I find the shape to be very comfortable.

Last edited by mmendoza87; 05-29-2020 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:04 PM

Not sure what size you are looking for
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...egacy/p/23239/
Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 PM

That is nice looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbnm View Post
Not sure what size you are looking for
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...egacy/p/23239/
Old 05-29-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Anyone have any direct experience with these. They sure look the business, but actual reviews are pretty sparse.
Thx.
Are you looking for any specific info?
Old 05-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Are you looking for any specific info?
How do they ride? Comfortable? They certainly look good, but they cost a lot of scratch.
Old 05-30-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
How do they ride? Comfortable? They certainly look good, but they cost a lot of scratch.
I have the integrated bar/stem setup and my wife has the separate bar and stem. They're nice bars – we like them.
Old 05-30-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Nothing to complain about. Stiff but not too stiff and comfortable (if at all noticeable from an alloy cockpit). You're paying for weight savings and style.