Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 04:40 PM

data point after first ride of 40 miles on first set of carbon - today.

i have been resistant to believe that carbon wheels for my type of riding would be worth the bucks. when i bought my roubaix in 2019 did i want to pay 1200 more to get the Expert over the Comp model - only real difference was carbon vs alloy. i got the Comp with alloy. then i replaced the alloys with slightly better alloy, those being Ritchey wcs Zetas - 1730 grams. really like those wheels, a bit heavy but love the quick engagement for my erratic pedaling style.

but then - the other day i bought the carbon DT Swiss 1450 PRC (1540 grams) set put on sale by eric baumannnnn. i can't describe really well or quantify my ride today on those wheels. these are not super deep so i think i am missing the sound factor. but the hubs are ridiculously quiet and even with 18 tooth ratchet rings the engagement works great for me. no need to upgrade to 36 tooth ratchets.

wheels seemed to smooth out chip pavement and not smooth out cracks. but then there were the many times i stepped on it in or out of the saddle and I "think" that's where the difference is. they seemed smooth and fast. subtle but fun. they appear to transfer power more efficiently than anything alloy i've ridden over the last 20 years.

maybe placebo or maybe i want to justify the splurge on something i didn't need, but these hoops are different and good. could have been disappointed but was not. stoked and glad i took a shot.

Last edited by eddief; 05-29-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Got a thought in my head on this morning's ride....don't need a new bike, but some new wheels would be cool....Campy Bora WTO 60's at PBK...with cassette under $2000 (before tax and shipping).....stupid idea or a way to scratch an itch?

Currently riding some 2004 Campy Eurus.....
If the purchase makes you feel good and it doesn't come at the expense of depriving your spouse or children, go for it. Buying bike stuff is never really about needing something, it's a hobby.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:32 PM

I have a set of Enve's. I got a set of Shamals. Rarely ride the Enve's anymore. Pretty close to what you're thinking about. Just another data point...
Old 05-29-2020, 06:01 PM

If you hate gaining speed while coasting uphill against the wind, don’t buy them.
Old 05-29-2020, 06:06 PM

I keep looking at WTO 45s for some reason. I don’t race so speed is not really an issue. If they gave an improved riding feel compared to my Easton R90SL/WI T11/CXRAY wheels I might be tempted.

Tim
Old 05-29-2020, 06:29 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
If the purchase makes you feel good and it doesn't come at the expense of depriving your spouse or children, go for it. Buying bike stuff is never really about needing something, it's a hobby.
The only thing(s) it deprives me of is spending it on other wants:
  • New gas grill
  • Trailer hitch for SUV
  • Espresso machine / grinder

Old 05-29-2020, 06:41 PM

The lightweight alloy wheels I bought here a few hundred miles ago - R90SL rims to Tune hubs with Pillar rainbow anodized bladed spokes, running Conti GP5000 tires - feel like they've livened up the ride on my Firefly. They took 1-1/4 lbs off the already nice wheels and tires that were on the bike. They also look great! I knew it was an indulgence, for sure. I'm riding faster than I have in a decade, but it's because I've been riding more.
Old 05-29-2020, 07:05 PM

I have a couple of sets of nice carbon wheels and a few sets of nice alloy wheels. They all improved the ride of my bikes and in turn got me out riding more. A nice set of wheels is money well spent!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-29-2020, 07:30 PM

yes, a lot of it is the look. nothing wrong with that btw...
Old 05-29-2020, 07:39 PM

Get the espresso machine and grinder. That will make you faster, and your spouse will enjoy it.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:47 PM

i just bought a set of carbon wheels because my girlfriend told me it was a good deal, she found the deal, and my expenses have been down since tax return and this pandemic time. the wheels are not all that fancy, but they're more than i've ever spent on my bike at a time, whether frameset or wheel set or whatever. yes, i operate on a low bike budget because i hate spending money and i don't make a ton of it and family first and i'm not very good at riding bikes anyway. all that aside, i'm digging the new wheels.

pursuing them was a vanity project from the get-go, and i recognized that, and didn't care much for performance (i don't race or have strong wattage) or weight (i ride a Strong steel frame) or improvement over my self-built alloy wheels (Tune hubs and Sapim Race to Velocity A23 rims). i just wanted something deep and black to put the rubber on.

they look wicked.

they ride nicely. the hubs are power tap-branded, the rims are reynolds methinks. the spokes are black. now i have wattage readouts and have a whole 'nother data point to learn about. they are fast. no problems in cross winds. eager to roll in all other winds. remind me pleasantly of my old campy scirocco alloy wheels - those things rolled forever, and dove downhill and through turns. these wheels are like that. i hit 80km/h the other day just coasting down a hill on a random backroad. niiice. they are not as smooth as my wide-rim A23s, but they are lighter- and faster-feeling.

one thing i did want to mention is that my last order from ProBikeKit arrived today. they 'dispatched' it on April 14. i'm not great at math, but that's an effin long time for two tires to get here from pro bike kit. and it arrived in a men's beauty product box. those brits. so funny.

anyway, i look forward to pictures of your whip once you slap those fancy wheels on. don't forget the valve extenders!
Old 05-29-2020, 10:54 PM

I've got a set of WTO 33s incoming on my new custom Bishop....due to arrive in the next couple of months. I've got Zondas on my Lynskey now.....and have ONLY ever ridden alloy wheels.

I. Can't. Wait.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:08 PM

@giverdada

That is a great endorsement. I am more or less in the same boat as you. And you are pushing me toward diving in

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2020, 07:14 AM
I need you cool.

so....how does the "tubeless" thing work...sorry, I have not shopped for new wheels in 10+ years....

Can you use regular clincher tires, or are special ones needed?
Can you just use tubes like a "normal" rim?
What is it supposed to do....besides get rid of the tube and add the goo?
Old 05-30-2020, 07:23 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
so....how does the "tubeless" thing work...sorry, I have not shopped for new wheels in 10+ years....

1)Can you use regular clincher tires, or are special ones needed?
2)Can you just use tubes like a "normal" rim?
3)What is it supposed to do....besides get rid of the tube and add the goo?
1)-yes, use a clincher tire or 'tubeless' with a tube
2)-yes
3)-got a couple of hours and a TON of internet band width? There are 'conversations' about this technology, that came from MTBs, that would fill a stadium. MANY MANY opinions..some like it, some don't. BUT, you can run less psi w/o worrying about a snake bite type flat..
On the road? I donno, for the mess, I think a tubular is still a better idea for a road bike.