Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-29-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermo View Post
From there, I moved to cars that were fast, but appeared slow (modified VW/Audi wagons).
Yea, the VAG upgrade/mod slippery slope is long and steep! (urS6, autoX B5 A4, allroad, others....all avants!)
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 05-29-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Apologies but I just grow tired.

In case you were wondering it was 5:07am today when I was awoken with a bang.

Every. Single. Day. For months

How would you like that?
I think stock, that car is ok. The owner probably did something obnoxious with his muffler or exhaust.
Old 05-29-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylercheung View Post
I think stock, that car is ok. The owner probably did something obnoxious with his muffler or exhaust.
There was some funny news story I saw earlier this week about a Mustang with a really annoying aftermarket exhaust.

Similar "every day at 5AM" story.

The car owner got his pipes filled with expanding foam spray insulation along with a note "put the stock pipes back on or this keeps happening."

Everyone knows how annoying Harleys can be.. well a similarly annoying V8 is *way* louder. The saving grace is the muscle car guys generally don't travel in a pack of 50 everywhere they go.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

Everyone knows how annoying Harleys can be.. well a similarly annoying V8 is *way* louder. The saving grace is the muscle car guys generally don't travel in a pack of 50 everywhere they go.
+100
and where "annoying" translates into "modified", neither should be street legal.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:13 AM

I've never touched the exhaust on a car but the bizarre thing with the motorcycles is all those pipes are actually illegal.

Every single one of them I ever saw was marked "off highway use only/non-DOT". Pretty much *all* aftermarket motorcycle exhausts were illegal. The only thing that was legal to the letter of the law is/was a stock OEM exhaust.

The thing is every Harley/cruiser/chopper shop that had an inspection license will look the other way without fail. I used this to my advantage at one point too, I never had any really loud annoying exhausts but I did replace the exhaust on one of my motorcycles out of necessity after a crash + rust damage.. the stock exhausts were like $1000, the aftermarket ones were $300, just with the caveat that I had to make sure to go to one of the shops that modified bikes for inspection.

And here is the thing.. 99% of the Police in the US ride Harleys. Some of them even have illegal exhausts on their department bikes. So they are never going to crack down on the shop that specializes in their favored style of bikes.

I think in states with an inspection it's harder to get away with this on cars.. we have actual emissions testings on cars here, it's way harder for the inspection station to look the other way as their computerized tester is going to fail with an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 05-29-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Neat to look at in pictures, but they are nuisances to society for many reasons.

Incredibly loud and obnoxious, they cause stress in many neighborhoods across the country with those forced to live next to people that fire them up every morning next door.

Inexperienced people drive them like idiots making it less safe on the roads.

Keep em on the track or out in the desert away from me, thanks.
Yes, Yes, and yes. We were getting ice cream the other night and my 3 year old had to cover her ears when a Dbag in a "muscle car" showed up with extra loud pipes and felt the need to throttle it every other 3 seconds while he was parking.......we were expecting some teenager to get out of the car and it was an old bald guy wearing New Balances.............................sigh
Old 05-29-2020, 11:30 AM

Most aftermarket "cat back" (as in back of the catalytic converters) exhaust systems sold for cars are legal in most states. it's when they remove the converters they are illegal in all states. And removing the converters is what can make them really obnoxiously loud. They stink also....if you get stuck behind one.

Last edited by Ralph; 05-29-2020 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:42 PM

Modify all the cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-29-2020, 12:57 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benb View Post

I think in states with an inspection it's harder to get away with this on cars.. we have actual emissions testings on cars here, it's way harder for the inspection station to look the other way as their computerized tester is going to fail with an aftermarket exhaust.
I don't think you understand how this works. The "sniffer" test could care less if your cars has a "cat back" system on it. In fact, it doesn't care if you've replaced the entire exhaust, as long is it still blows "clean" at a near identical level as the stock exhaust.
The only way aftermarket exhaust will fail an inspection is it it's a visual inspection, and the inspector actually cares enough to check anything. Alot of them just look for the presence of a catalytic converter, check to see if its passed a sniffer test, and out ya go.
Alot of you guys should move to your own island.
There are a few things that sound better than a properly tuned, cammed out 8 cylinder exhaling through a decently constructed exhaust, but it's up there on the list.
Perhaps some of your are just too "old".
Old 05-29-2020, 01:38 PM

if only those pictures were bigger...............
Old 05-29-2020, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
Most aftermarket "cat back" (as in back of the catalytic converters) exhaust systems sold for cars are legal in most states. it's when they remove the converters they are illegal in all states. And removing the converters is what can make them really obnoxiously loud. They stink also....if you get stuck behind one.
Not true. Most, if not all, performance oriented cars come equipped with free flow cats, that present as little restriction as possible, and provide virtually no muffling capability. Ditching the converter and running free flow mufflers is so close to the same as running free flow casts with good flowing muffers, you could never tell the difference.
Also, as for being stinky, that's not the deletion of the cat, that's tuning.
Have you had the opportunity to be anywhere near a car with a cat that's gone south and become clogged? Those thing stink.
Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Love cars and as you well know Dave I love my '19 Bullitt.

Been my daily for more than a year now and it makes me smile every single time I drive it.

First American car I've ever owned and it has been surprisingly reliable and well made. I can fit a bike in the back with ease and I am amazed at how I get 20mpg consistently even with me driving fairly hard.

It has a setting where you can "quiet start" or start in "quiet mode", but I have yet to engage such tomfoolery.

I set mine to it's loudest setting as soon as I back out of the driveway 90% of the time and leave it there. It burbles and pops and will quite literally scare small children. Besides the sound, having nearly 500hp on hand in a naturally aspirated v8 with a six speed manual has been quite enjoyable.

I also live in a place where trucks outnumber cars 2 to 1 and they are often loud as well, not to mention Harleys which rumble by louder than my car. I'd make mine louder and faster but I want it to stay stock.

BTW, I'm looking at an old truck for my next vehicle, but the Bullitt stays.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:17 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I can do a big V8.....but it's not in a car.

Old 05-29-2020, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesteel View Post
I don't think you understand how this works. The "sniffer" test could care less if your cars has a "cat back" system on it. In fact, it doesn't care if you've replaced the entire exhaust, as long is it still blows "clean" at a near identical level as the stock exhaust.
The only way aftermarket exhaust will fail an inspection is it it's a visual inspection, and the inspector actually cares enough to check anything. Alot of them just look for the presence of a catalytic converter, check to see if its passed a sniffer test, and out ya go.
Alot of you guys should move to your own island.
There are a few things that sound better than a properly tuned, cammed out 8 cylinder exhaling through a decently constructed exhaust, but it's up there on the list.
Perhaps some of your are just too "old".
The fact they're running the car here will cause the aftermarket system to fail on noise as well as there is a dB limit on the cars exhaust system.

We have pretty strict testing for cars in MA, some cars even have to be on a dyno for the inspection. Maybe you're not thinking of states with as serious an inspection? You can fail here for tiny tiny things, right down to testing for the presence of sensors. (Though I'd guess the aftermarket has ECU defeats for that too at this point that cause the OBD to return false results.). I would love to see a car with the catalytic converters removed pass a good sniff test on a dyno. That seems very far fetched. There's no way on earth any car would have a catalytic converter if they weren't needed. The auto companies are about 1000x smarter than the aftermarket with respect to stuff like that. They would never put cats on a car if they could figure out how to avoid it. (Honda did at one point IIRC but that was a long time ago when standards were lower.)

With bikes the exhausts were all stamped "Not for Highway Use, Racetrack only", if anyone was checking and car exhausts were done that way it'd be an easy fail too. But of course on a bike it is right there and visible, it doesn't require putting the bike on a lift or crawling under anything.

I think most of the aftermarket car systems that end up passing are the same thing as bikes, you take the car to a place that is known to be looking the other way.

I've actually done major engine repairs and fiddled/tuned EFI before, I know how it works.

Last edited by benb; 05-29-2020 at 03:24 PM.