Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2021, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
I should have clarified (or written "another impulse buy") I just bought one (based on your link) for exactly that reason. I love the cold brew from a few local coffee purveyors (granted my fav is nitro) but demand pretty much precludes their ever offering decaf. I have an awesome local decaf bean source so if this is even marginally satisfying I may have found a new rabbit hole.
I like Nitro cream brewed too, I can't do it at home so I get it at Starbucks every once in a while. But I did discover something darn close, I bought a bottle of CoffeMate Italian Expresso creamer at the grocery store, put 2 teaspoons of it into half a cup of cold-brewed coffee and it tastes almost the same, not quite but darn close.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:34 PM

Thanks for the info I may just pick up one of these, seems like having a built in strainer and being a pitcher would be much more user friendly then the way I’m doing this now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froze View Post
I'm not sure how many TBS I'm using, I fill the basket to within a 1/4 of an inch from where the top of the screen and the plastic meet, then I fill the canister with water to about a 1/2 from the top of the clear plastic part, insert the basket and shake for about 3 minutes then set in the fridge. If I have the time and don't forget I will try to take it out of the fridge every 4 or so hours and give it a quick shake, but not sure if that matters or not, the instructions say to unscrew the lid and swirl the basket every 4 hours, I figure just shaking it for a couple of seconds does the same thing without unscrewing the lid.
Old 03-09-2021, 03:36 PM

Anyone use Costco brand coffee to make espresso? The cost/pound is cheap (~$7-10/lb.) and they have all kinds of single origin Arabica coffees under the Kirtland brand (check costco.com).
Old 03-09-2021, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Anyone use Costco brand coffee to make espresso? The cost/pound is cheap (~$7-10/lb.) and they have all kinds of single origin Arabica coffees under the Kirtland brand (check costco.com).
I have purchased the costco branded Panama Geisha, I thought it was quite good, and I would buy again. I just bought the Kona coffee, from costco.com, though it was not costco branded.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:06 PM
RazVelo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackie View Post
Here goes. Slayer single group machine. Kafatek Monolith Flat grinder. Pullman tamper. VST precision baskets. Left Coast Guatemala Hue Hue finca palo blanco estate. Rapha cappucino cup by NotNeutral

A few action shots to follow.

Jon
Damn! What a setup, that's a dream coffee bench for sure. If you ever sell that machine, I'm your guy! ha
Old 03-20-2021, 10:21 AM
all slow no go

Teaser of the upcoming woodwork for my Europiccola...
Old 03-20-2021, 11:13 AM

What’s on your coffee bench?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
Teaser of the upcoming woodwork for my Europiccola...

Very cool. You should make dummy pedals as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by phoenix; 03-20-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:01 PM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Very cool. You should make dummy pedals as well!
I'm having someone make these for me. I WISH I had the tools myself!
Old 08-17-2021, 05:12 PM

Quick PSA

The Niche grinders are back in stock and are available in either color.

Not cheap, but seems a step-up (or two) from comparable units in the $700-$800 range.

I also really like the single dosing capability.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post
The Niche grinders are back in stock and are available in either color.

Not cheap, but seems a step-up (or two) from comparable units in the $700-$800 range.

I also really like the single dosing capability.
My wife loves ours (as do I but she's the barista) and it was initially a tough sell for our somewhat entry level coffee bench. I've since moved to decaf full time which has made it indispensable.
Old 08-17-2021, 05:30 PM
all slow no go

I've just ordered a DF64 to try out. Cheaper than the Niche, likely not quite as "nice", but seems very promising.
Old 08-17-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donevwil View Post
My wife loves ours (as do I but she's the barista) and it was initially a tough sell for our somewhat entry level coffee bench. I've since moved to decaf full time which has made it indispensable.
My wife probably has gotten tired of me talking about getting a new grinder (goes back three years) that she's okayed the purchase as the last major discretionary line item for the year.

I personally have gotten really tired of measuring out 16.8 g of coffee, only to have 16.2 come out, with the remainder being held until they all come out at a later time. Granted, the Rancilio Silvia I have probably deserves something better than a Baratza, but this will be my first true high quality grinder.

Like you, I go from a true double in the morning, to a half-caf in the afternoon, with a few odd decafs thrown in there for good measure, and the Niche's single-dosing ability is perhaps one of the main draws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwynne View Post
I've just ordered a DF64 to try out. Cheaper than the Niche, likely not quite as "nice", but seems very promising.
Do let us know. I'm personally a bit hesitant about being "gamma-testers" and preferred the longer-term reliability of the Niche.

Could have bought it back when the exchange rate was a lot more favorable, oh well.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:02 AM

Huge fan of my Niche for all the reasons you cite. It’s a great grinder and was a big step up from the Rocky it replaced.
Old 08-18-2021, 09:46 AM

Because of the post, I went from this to that. Loving my coffee every morning.

krupps.jpgDream T.jpg
Old 08-18-2021, 09:51 AM
all slow no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by echappist View Post

Do let us know. I'm personally a bit hesitant about being "gamma-testers" and preferred the longer-term reliability of the Niche.
Will do! It'll probably be about a month still before I get it. It's been around in various permutations for long enough that I'm not *terribly* concerned. James Hoffman's comparison to the Niche definitely favoured the Niche, but mostly on creature comforts (which usually make a big difference to me, but here price and availability won out).

Tags
coffee, coffee espresso