Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-14-2017, 01:53 PM

I deal with outback racks daily at work and the best option is the Yakima Landing Pad 15 solution. Wider and stronger bars although it is a little high rise.

There's nothing under those big bases so don't bother taking those off. I once saw them removed with Rhino Ditch Tracks installed in its place - bad idea. I spent hours resealing the holes that were leaking into the headliner.

There is a Thule option as well but it's not as solid as the Yakima.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 01:58 PM
Classics Fan

I've seen cargo, bike and ski racks all migrate to the hitch. I'm surprised a quality hitch isn't a more standard option, especially since there's already a bunch of after-market roof racks based on normal roof rails, or even cars without roof rails.
Old 04-14-2017, 02:07 PM

I installed a curt hitch over the weekend for my 1up rack. figured since I couldn't use what I'd previously had (the thule system where the feet grab the raised side rails) that i'd finally go full hitch, if I were buying stuff to begin with.

although, in a pinch I threw the thule stuff on the rack in the closed position for a day to buy a bike a few months ago. I'll likely reserve the roof rack for a cargo box for vacation.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:09 PM

OT: Those awful Outback Roofracks

The outback roof rack system sucks. The whole thing can be removed by a clever thief with a t25 in about 10 seconds bikes and all. Worst designed piece of sh*t roof rack system ever. Only option for real roof rack users is to buy the Yakima system mentioned above. I have an extra pair of brand new landing pads I'll sell for $15 plus shipping if anyone wants them. Ended up with two by mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 PM
BillC's Evil Twin Brother

I am currently using mine & like it a lot.

Using a Rocky mounts car rail and a Thule Wheel fork. Took all of 5 minutes to put on. Much quieter than my old 2004 outback & Yakima rails which sat on top.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:18 PM

I have a Kuat basket bolted to it. Two bikes fork mounted, wheels inside or toe-strapped to the bikes.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:00 PM
'97 Ti Legend

I just replaced a 2005 Outback with a 2017. It is the only wagon that will take a 2" hitch in back, so my 4 bike Kuat rack mounts with ease. I can use the built in roof racks for the Thule box if I need it, I think this is awesome. I'll never lose much sleep about how my factory rack looks, I think the Outbacks look fine. I might have gotten a VW Allroad (or even just the Golf SportWagen with 4motion, or even a BMW 3 Series Wagon) if any of them could take a 2" rear hitch.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idris Icabod View Post
We looked at the Outback too and the huge plastic rail things was a major put off.

The second was when I found out that PZEV stands for Partial Zero Emission Vehicle. The 'partial zero' still makes my head hurt.
I'll pile on. Their marketing slogan, "Love. It's what makes a Subaru a Subaru", is.....well.....umm.....flatout stupid.
Old 04-15-2017, 05:54 AM

Our current Outback is 2 years old.
I have used the roof racks for skiing, seem fine to me. I had no idea I was suffering so badly.
I have a 2 inch receiver hitch in back.

And BTW Subaru has nothing to do with the PZEV designation.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:46 AM
n - 1

This is my number 1 nitpick. Wish they would've just gone with the Forester rack on the Outbacks. Stow away is cool, but the crossbars are flimsy. To be fair, so are most factory racks. But the problem is, the way it's designed, you're very limited aftermarket wise if you want to replace the crossbars. We use a hitch rack, but I do throw a Yak cargo basket up there occasionally for camping. i wonder how bad it bounces on backcountry roads. Incidentally, I drove past an Outback yesterday with a cargo box. We had some cross winds and the box was bouncing like crazy.

I've been contemplating taking the whole thing off, and having a local rack fabricator put one together. It looks like a big job though. I'd have to take out the entire headliner to bolt it on.

Otherwise, it's been excellent. High clearance, great AWD system. Been very reliable as well.
Old 12-05-2019, 08:30 PM

arced crossbars?

I'm looking at getting a 2017 Outback but have been told that when you use those fold-away crossbars that they're not flat but have an arc to them. so when you put on a bike tray that your bike will not be upright but leans to the side at an angle. is this true? I like the car a lot but I like my bikes more than that!
Old 12-05-2019, 08:34 PM

Weight limit 110 lbs. This was one reason we went European, 4 kayaks...
Old 12-06-2019, 07:55 AM
Proud Grandpa

Outback roof rack..2 threads..both-"______" threads..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1200px-TGS_2010_Zombie.jpg (11.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-06-2019, 08:21 AM

Yakima Skylines -or look at the 2015-19 touring model, different rack altogether
Old 12-06-2019, 08:39 AM

I replied years ago that I was having no problem carrying 2 bikes + their wheels on the stock crossbars.

These days my son rides too, I have no problems carrying 3 bikes + the front wheels separately.

Four will not work on the stock crossbars, can't see anyway how it would work. You'd need a setup with greatly wider crossbars that let you put a bike outside of the rails.

It's still barely on my radar of things to complain about with this car, the things that bug me way more:
- Noisy on the highway
- Fuel Economy never ever gets anywhere near the EPA rating in city driving, it's off by 20%+
- Paint is very susceptible to scratches
- Doors are thin and ding really easily
- Quality of some of the interior plastic parts is poor IMO
- Drivers seat is pretty bad (leather power seats)

It's still a hoot to drive in the snow.