Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Cat 6

BTLOS wheels

Anyone have experience there? I was poking around the site this am and I was wondering how accurate are the weights given for the wheel sets?

TBH, I was expecting somewhat more competitive pricing but it seems that a lot of the traditional companies selling carbon wheels have dropped their prices and/or created a more economically friendly wheel to compete with the onslaught of Eastern carbon wheels.

I was looking at a set of Campagnolo Shamal wheels which are more expensive and heavier (by 250g!), but Campagnolo wheels have almost never let me down.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-09-19 at 3.17.00 PM.jpg (100.2 KB, 582 views)
Old 09-19-2023, 02:38 PM

The forum's search function is your friend. Lots of threads/posts about BTLOS. After reading the reviews on the Paceline, I ordered a set in May. WRC-55, premium layup, rim brake, with Bitex hubs. The wheels arrived exactly on schedule one month after the order was placed/confirmed. They were/are perfectly true and weighed less than specified in their configurator. They've held up well through the racing season. I will undoubtedly buy another BTLOS wheelset when the need/desire arises.

Greg
Old 09-19-2023, 02:39 PM

I have two sets. The weights are accurate and include a weight tag for each wheel. I don't think they'd ship them if out of spec.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_mutt View Post
Anyone have experience there? I was poking around the site this am and I was wondering how accurate are the weights given for the wheel sets?

TBH, I was expecting somewhat more competitive pricing but it seems that a lot of the traditional companies selling carbon wheels have dropped their prices and/or created a more economically friendly wheel to compete with the onslaught of Eastern carbon wheels.

I was looking at a set of Campagnolo Shamal wheels which are more expensive and heavier (by 250g!), but Campagnolo wheels have almost never let me down.
It may be that a good chunk of the price you see if for the DT240 hubs.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:03 PM

I bought a set of 30mm deep rims and built them myself on WI hubs.
Weight is accurate and they are good rims.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:18 PM

I have had quite a few wheelsets from BTLOS. Their weights for rims and wheelsets are very accurate. Also, you find can a LOT of info on this forum on BTLOS.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023_09_19_15_15_09_The_Paceline_Forum_Search_Results.jpg (94.2 KB, 504 views)
Old 09-19-2023, 04:31 PM

I bought a pair of Extralight BTLOS in 30mm height with their carbon hubs and ARC Graphene braking. The quoted weight was not accurate. They claimed it would be 1138.4 grams +/- 25 grams.

My wheels arrived at 1100 grams, out of spec with their estimate. I rode it for about 6 months and they performed so well that I sold my pair of Campagnolo Shamal Mille.

I went ahead and bought a new pair of Extralight BTLOS in 40mm height for slightly more aero. This time with Arrow Graphene braking surface. Again the quoted weight was off. They claimed it would be 1228.4 grams +/- 25 grams. This set came in at 1170 grams.

So in summary, great wheels at decent price (at least compared to Campagnolo) but weight estimate is off...

2023-08-16 09.27.03 by sevencyclist, on Flickr

Last edited by sevencyclist; 09-24-2023 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 04:31 PM

For rim brake, is there a consensus/view on the best brake track?

Side note: it is possible to send them your hubs and they will build the wheelset
Old 09-19-2023, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenJersey View Post
Side note: it is possible to send them your hubs and they will build the wheelset
Only one correct answer to this question https://forums.thepaceline.net/member.php?u=28701
Old 09-19-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist View Post
I bought a pair of Extralight BTLOS in 30mm height with their carbon hubs and ARC Graphene braking.

I went ahead and bought a new pair of Extralight BTLOS in 40mm height for slightly more aero. This time with Grid Graphene braking surface. Again the quoted weight was off. They claimed it would be 1228.4 grams +
Which of the two braking surfaces do you like better?
Old 09-19-2023, 06:03 PM

That's a kickass bike!
Might I ask if you have ridden the bike on steep and twisty and long descents? If yes, do you have no concerns with the carbon rim braking surface on the BTLOS? This was the very reason I sold my rim braked carbon wheeled bikes and moved to discs since I was scared to brake on twisty 8-15% long, twisty descents.

Enjoy that Colnago!

Quote:
I bought a pair of Extralight BTLOS in 30mm height with their carbon hubs and ARC Graphene braking. The quoted weight was not accurate. They claimed it would be 1138.4 grams +/- 25 grams.

My wheels arrived at 1100 grams, out of spec with their estimate. I rode it for about 6 months and they performed so well that I sold my pair of Campagnolo Shamal Mille.

I went ahead and bought a new pair of Extralight BTLOS in 40mm height for slightly more aero. This time with Grid Graphene braking surface. Again the quoted weight was off. They claimed it would be 1228.4 grams +/- 25 grams. This set came in at 1170 grams.

So in summary, great wheels at decent price (at least compared to Campagnolo) but weight estimate is off...

2023-08-16 09.27.03 by sevencyclist, on Flickr
Old 09-19-2023, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe View Post
Which of the two braking surfaces do you like better?
I've got sets with both - hands down, arc is better. You might think the grid will offer more bite, but all it does it chew through pads quicker.

OP - idk what you were expecting, but there's nothing particularly "cheap" about BTLOS rims - they're using high quality components all around and the rims themselves are excellent.

To be fair, I wouldn't say that all "far east" wheel companies are worth your time/money - FarSports has been a disappointment every time I had to deal with them, but BTLOS has been solid.
Old 09-19-2023, 06:45 PM

Quote:

I went ahead and bought a new pair of Extralight BTLOS in 40mm height for slightly more aero. This time with Grid Graphene braking surface. Again the quoted weight was off. They claimed it would be 1228.4 grams +/- 25 grams. This set came in at 1170 grams.

Carbon spokes? How do you like them?
Old 09-19-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:

So you're complaining because the wheels were too light? Most users would be happy.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:08 PM

Hunt is another option in this price range.