Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-26-2013, 06:42 AM

The Derailleur Derailed My Ride - Seeking Advise

Ladies and Gents,

As you can see in the attached picture, there is a mean crack in the wheel of my Shimano Ultegra Derailleur. It spins just fine at the moment, but does not fill me with confidence when mounting the steel steed.

My travel bike, a beautiful Hunter/BreakAway/GravelTourer is meant to be taken everywhere. It has so far been on a tour in Northern Spain, all over Germany, in Israel and California. It gets around. As such it also gets knocked around a ton.

Its first incarnation involved a Rolhloff Speedhub which is now being serviced by Rohloff before heading to a second hand market. I did not like riding that way. So I replaced it with Shimano 10 speed bar end shifters and Ultegra Derailleur. The latter survived just under 1000 km.

Any suggestion on a derailleur that can take a beating, works with bar-end shifters (10 speed) and will give me at least 12-30 on the cassette (i.e. long cage)? I might even entertain SRAM options, but honestly finding SRAM parts in some locations is impossible whereas even a little shop in Tel Aviv (where I am at now) had replacement cogs for the Ultegra Derailleur.
Happy holidays and dazzle me with your ideas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (91.7 KB, 247 views)

Tags
derailleur, fail, shimano, touring