Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2021, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foo_fighter View Post
I went with this setup on 2 bikes and it worked great. I'm not sure if you can still get a Ti based kit from Ritchey or if the builder will fab his own parts. (Like Holland)
You don't need hydro couplers, just unbolt the calipers. Also get centerlock wheels and discs.
Awesome, that's good to hear. I think I'm likely going to go this route. Regarding removing the calipers, I'm assuming that only really works if the cables/hoses are external? If they are routed internal through part of the frame, then I figured a quick disconnect option would be my only route. If I'm missing something let me know -- the No. 22 Brake Break seems like a solution to this but it is not cheap!

~~~

And regarding some of the other suggestions recommending against adding couplers on a nice bike and instead just buying a dedicated travel bike that can withstand the inevitable abuse, I totally get that. With this bike, however, my intent is for it to fill the role of my current commuter/all-road/gravel bike while also being a go-to bike to take with me on the occasional vacation. So, I fully anticipate that the bike will receive its fair share of scuffs, scratches, etc. over the years, and I'm fine with that. If anything it'll mean the bike is being used as it should!
Old 02-25-2021, 04:13 PM

My wife and I got coupled bikes in 2013 and have used them for 6 big trips. They're a bit of a hassle packing, but totally worth it IMO. The smaller the frame, the smaller the hassle. And the larger the frame,...

PS. rim brake, mechanical shifting.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast View Post
I wouldn't build travel couplers into a high-end bike. I would get the high-end bike, and then get a used Ritchey breakaway for travel. The upcharge of s&s couplers on a titanium bike are basically the same cost, but this way your nice bike stays nice, and your travel bike can live in its suitcase.
Yeah I like this idea a lot.
Old 02-25-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototoast

I wouldn't build travel couplers into a high-end bike. I would get the high-end bike, and then get a used Ritchey breakaway for travel. The upcharge of s&s couplers on a titanium bike are basically the same cost, but this way your nice bike stays nice, and your travel bike can live in its suitcase.
I agree this idea makes sense, but I've already got the nice bike that I'm averse to traveling with that stays home whenever I travel.

While the custom ti frame in question is also certainly going to be nice, it's being built with the expectation that it'll see a lot more use and abuse over the years, hence my reasoning for leaning towards the coupled option.
Old 02-25-2021, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab2000 View Post
Big cases are harder to deal with logistically at both ends of the trip you are planning to use a taxi, mass transit or an app-based ride service.
double mic drop.

Many years ago, I bought a full case and took my bike to D2R2. I spent the entire evening reassembling the fork, and all the parts and making sure it was all done properly for the following day's ride. I missed all the pre-festivities in Deerfield because I was laboring on bike. :-(

Fast forward, I began working in San Francisco and decided to start packing a bike. I learned that if it wasn't easy to pack and assemble, I wouldn't bother with it.

Also, it seemed all Bay Area Uber trips involve a Prius. Big cases don't fit. The Ritchey BA case fits suitably.

Other learnings were:
  • disc brakes on wheels make 'nesting' the wheels very difficult. Rim braked wheels are easier to pack, don't require special tools and removal of discs. Two stacked wheels with discs require lots of stacked space. Rim braked wheels do not. Even less with cassette off (see subsequent comment)
  • Some freehubs will allow the cassette to slide off with freehub attached. This again, makes nesting wheels in case easier and reduces pressure points.
  • 1x, if you can swing it, is superbe. I'm riding 1x11, 11-41. Soon to go to 12s 10-45.
  • eTap is fantastic for removing and stowing rear derailleur since there's no cable tethering it to frame. And no adjustment when it is remounted. This was often not the case with cable actuated derailleur.
  • Removing stem, bars, headset and fork is a pain (relatively). S&S and Ritchey BA don't require fork removal thus saving time, greasy hands, and lost parts.
  • Canti brakes, yes canti brakes, are great because you can unhook handlebars from straddle cable, freeing them to pack anywhere too.
  • I've been warned against hydro brakes and constant adjustments due to changes in air pressure. When I had my disc braked travel bike, I used Yokozuna cable actuated discs.
  • I've also been warned against tubeless tires. Deflation introduces opportunity for sealant to escape and gunk up contents of case. Also, they can present a problem due to need to quickly fill with air and lack of good pump at destination. YMMV
  • Be sure to get a good quick link for chain with correct tool.
  • I've got mixed feelings, but MKS makes a quick remove pedal called the EZY. It's available in a variety of designs including SPD, Atac, LOOK, and others. Pedal is on a coupler that allows quick removal without a tool.
  • Fidlock magnetic bottles are a godsend and open up space inside case since there's no bottle cage. I pack clothes and helmet inside main triangle.

After trying many travel bikes, the Ritchey Breakaway Cross is my favorite. It's easy to pack/assemble, fits a wide variety of tire sizes (presently have 38s on mine), and can be stowed in a baggage and car friendly sized case.

Last edited by mistermo; 02-25-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:28 PM

Ive done a trip to Europe with a S&S coupled bike and can say the S&S box is on the border of what i could have managed at the time. We got the biggest full size rental car we could and it was a tight fit. We had 2 large suitcases and 3-4 mid-small ones. The box is quite a bit larger than most suitcases so can't imagine having to try that same trip with a non S&S bike box.

Like others have mentioned, it can be tricky to put the bike in the box, but you do get the hang of where everything goes. I get worried about TSA opening it up and then not being able to put it back in but a quick open then close doesn't usually move stuff around too much.

What size frame do you ride? I have a large coupled bike if you need a larger frame.
Old 02-25-2021, 07:54 PM

Awesome, thanks all for the replies. The smaller form factor alone of the Ritchey/S&S travel cases I think has pushed me in that direction.

I previously owned a Ritchey Ti Breakaway Cross that I absolutely loved, but the fit on it was a little on the small side so I ended up selling it. I also think my time with canti/V brakes is coming to an end once I move on from my current CaadX.

If all goes well the new bike should be pretty rad when it's all said and done -- the plan is to run etap with hydro disc brakes set up with a quick disconnect system running internal near the downtube S&S coupler. I 'think' this set up will only marginally be more of a pain to disassemble/reassemble than a mechanical rim brake/shifter set up (in theory at least).
Old 02-25-2021, 08:08 PM

In the Before Times...

...I traveled with a bike, A LOT. EVOC PRO case, shipped ahead to my hotel most of the time, later pulled it with me once the airlines got reasonable about considering it just a piece of luggage. Never had a problem fitting it into a rental or hotel room. If on an extended trip, just shipped it back after the event ride. Allof this, however, was domestic.

If traveling outside the US, I’d time it for the ride/event, e.g. take it with me if going there directly or ship it to my hotel if at the end-ish of the trip. Euro cars are generally smaller so, yeah, harder to drag a big bag around but hey, you wanna play, you gotta pay. They rent mid size cars there, too.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:54 PM

If I were having a ti bike built with couplers today, I would go with the “z” couplers that No. 22 uses (Paragon sells a similar version). When joined, you can barely see the coupler/joint. Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:13 PM
n - 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post
If they are routed internal through part of the frame, then I figured a quick disconnect option would be my only route.
Just out of curiosity, where would you split the hydro line if internally routed? I guess close to the levers or caliper? Then you’d have to mess with routing the housing back through the frame when assembling?
Old 02-25-2021, 10:32 PM

No one’s asked it yet, but are you traveling with kids?

I had a coupled bike back in the day and I think it made three overseas trips before my first kid was born and two after my first arrived.

Agree on all points noted above about the space premium in European rental cars (and train transfers etc) but once kids, especially more than one, enter the equation, sending your bike ahead of time or renting on the ground, make a whole lot of sense.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zennmotion View Post
^^^this. The flight is only one travel component. Taxi's (Ubers/Lyfts), rented cars, crowded trains, sometimes tiny hotel rooms (at least on my budget, especially staying in larger cities) and box/case storage while you ride are important considerations especially in Europe or other international destinations.
The only reason a friend and I made our flight home from Prague was because my bike was in an S&S case and could fit in the cab along with his full sized case. Two full sized and we never would have made it in that cab & another wouldn't have arrived in time.
Old 02-25-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoj View Post

I previously owned a Ritchey Ti Breakaway Cross that I absolutely loved, but the fit on it was a little on the small side so I ended up selling it. I also think my time with canti/V brakes is coming to an end once I move on from my current CaadX.
I've used almost every Ritchey BA made: Carbon road (excellent handling!) carbon outback, steel road, steel cross and now titanium cross. I'm sticking with ti cross. Thanks to canti's it's significantly easier to pack and disassemble and has lots of versatility with tires up to 38mm. What size BA Cross did you have and what size do you think you need? Asking for a friend who *may* have one.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p nut View Post
Just out of curiosity, where would you split the hydro line if internally routed? I guess close to the levers or caliper? Then you’d have to mess with routing the housing back through the frame when assembling?
Nope, the brake hose quick disconnect would be located in the downtube near the S&S coupler itself. I would need to run a little bit of extra hose to give it some slack, but in other words the process would be to first uncouple the frame at the S&S coupler and pull it apart enough to reach the brake line disconnect.

Basically the same set-up as No.22 describes/implements for their travel couplers -- which is a pretty slick set-up.

https://22bicycles.com/blogs/news/in...coupler-system
Old 02-26-2021, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
No one’s asked it yet, but are you traveling with kids?

I had a coupled bike back in the day and I think it made three overseas trips before my first kid was born and two after my first arrived.

Agree on all points noted above about the space premium in European rental cars (and train transfers etc) but once kids, especially more than one, enter the equation, sending your bike ahead of time or renting on the ground, make a whole lot of sense.
Have kids, but would likely not take the bike with me on any big family trips -- I find my time to ride on those types of trips is virtually non-existent anyway.

Traveling with a bike will likely be limited to work conferences and the such.