Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-2018, 07:10 AM
aka RAEKWON

I have to say, campy is smart going only record/SR on this. If you really want 12, you going to have to pay the big bucks. Everyone already figure out chorus is where its at, no point going record/SR unless you are a weight weenie so if you want the new/new then cough up some cash.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think it looks awesome!!

Certainly no worse than these.
I rest my case.

Tim
Old 04-09-2018, 07:17 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpotatoe View Post
I think it looks awesome!!

Certainly no worse than these.
it actually does, believe it or not.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:23 AM

The photos that I've seen seem rather light on pics of the RD. Maybe for a good reason. And those rim calipers! Seems silly to tout the tire clearance when the direct mount location makes it even narrower than the previous.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 AM

When 11s came about i wasent thrilled with the looks but its grown on me, well not the 4 arm cranks but the rest.. However i think my thoughts on this is that im even less pleased with the new release than i was when 11s came. This is simply not something i would consider buying at this point, maybe i will come around in 3 years. Who knows..
Old 04-09-2018, 07:31 AM

Ouch. That crankset is rough looking. Looks like they melted the old one and stepped on it. Bike Rumor also has an article on new Campa Bora wheels: 60mm and 77mm deep (when others are moving toward less deep more aero) and clincher/tubeless only (no tubular because they have worse rolling resistance). Who's running this ship?
Old 04-09-2018, 07:48 AM
Vendor

The record crank is nicer looking than the previous 4-arm. Not a fan of the supporting fins on the Super Record. The brakes are not particularly nice. The Front derailleur is damn fine looking in both record and super record. The rear derailleur is good (better aesthetically in super record), if we're going to have these offset rear derailleurs that one looks good enough. New wheels look sharp too.

I'd say it's the brakes only that really are off to me. But I really liked how the skeleton brakes looked.

I never thought the previous four arm crank looked that bad but I can't see how anyone could say this looks worse. Unless you just don't like the logo-type... tbh, Almost everyone I heard said they hated the hole in the crank (I always preferred it) and now we have it without. I'm fine with it given the other improvments, but would still prefer the hole in the center.

Edit: Lots of photos over on cyclingtips. That photo was way too big!

Last edited by rain dogs; 04-09-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain dogs View Post
The record crank is nicer looking than the previous 4-arm. Not a fan of the supporting fins on the Super Record. The brakes are not particularly nice. The Front derailleur is damn fine looking in both record and super record. The rear derailleur is good, if we're going to have these offset rear derailleurs that one looks good enough. New wheels look sharp too.

I'd say it's the brakes only that really are off to me. But I really liked how the skeleton brakes looked.

I never thought the previous four arm crank looked that bad but I can't see how anyone could say this looks worse. Unless you just don't like the logo-type...

Lots of photos over on cyclingtips.

I think the hole made the crank look better. That said, maybe the new one will grow on me
Old 04-09-2018, 08:00 AM

I don't know how folks are upset about the looks of the crank... to me it actually looks cleaner than the previous 11 speed version with the central hole.

That said, neither one will grace one of my bikes. The classic five 'spoke' crank is much more attractive to my eye (especially on traditional shape non-aero steel bikes), and I don't need the chainring compatibility that four 'spoke' offers.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM

I think the new brake calipers are the best bit.... skeleton brakes look crap on modern frames and just collected road rubbish.

New levers,shifters look great.

Mechs look very Shim*no like to me

The chainset took the biggest hit when it fell from the ugly tree.......

Love that there is now reach adjustment on the shifters.....

Will buy at some point
Old 04-09-2018, 08:03 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post

I think the hole made the crank look better. That said, maybe the new one will grow on me
Ha! Just edited to finish my thoughts. I liked the hole too, but prefer the other aesthetic improvements more. The 'webbing' at the arm on the previous.... not a fan.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe View Post
When 11s came about i wasent thrilled with the looks but its grown on me, well not the 4 arm cranks but the rest.. However i think my thoughts on this is that im even less pleased with the new release than i was when 11s came. This is simply not something i would consider buying at this point, maybe i will come around in 3 years. Who knows..
My sentiments exactly.........
Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM
aka RAEKWON

Quote:
Originally Posted by thwart View Post

I don't know how folks are upset about the looks of the crank... to me it actually looks cleaner than the previous 11 speed version with the central hole.

That said, neither one will grace one of my bikes. The classic five 'spoke' crank is much more attractive to my eye (especially on traditional shape non-aero steel bikes), and I don't need the chainring compatibility that four 'spoke' offers.
What gives? That picture of the crank does not seem to match the picture of the crank up in this page. This one has te carbon wrapping aroynd the chainrings
Old 04-09-2018, 08:22 AM

Just when I thought it was finally time to upgrade from 10 speed to 11 . . .
Old 04-09-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
What gives? That picture of the crank does not seem to match the picture of the crank up in this page. This one has te carbon wrapping aroynd the chainrings
Only super record has the fins, not record.