Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2017, 01:21 PM

I specifically look for multi-tools with a chain tool. There are lots of them...and pretty cheap too! Also a quick link in the tool bag takes up very little space and weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony View Post
How many here do you think carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%
Old 10-12-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
sure is easier for me. my bike is in the hatch of my jeep all the time with the front wheel off, and on my fork mounted roof rack pretty often too.

you wont see me buying a bike that doesnt use a standard QR wheelset anytime soon, but my needs and wants may be different than others.
Whatever works!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
I was riding with a friend today who was on a new Pinarello f10. He flatted out and when we went to change the tube the bike had no skewers. He realized that he did not bring the tool to remove the wheel. None of our multi tools had a big enough allen wrench to get the wheel off. I don't understand why a bike company would complicate something that is so simple. I also don't understand why a bike company would make someone carry special tools.
Sorry for the rant but it just seems absurd.
best thing I learned at design school
K.I.S.S - keep it simple stupid
if your friend wanted to keep it simple, there are lots of options for bikes that aren't the pinarello f10 or other ultra-high-end, high-performance bikes.
Old 10-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Kind of OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Mise en place applies to bikes too.
Yep. I go for a minimalist tool kit on my bike but I always try to have the pertinent allen wrenches, screw driver, etc.
Most of the multi tools out there are overkill.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I get what your saying.
I've had the wrong multi tool on a couple of occasions, once I needed a small flat head screw driver for a cleat that came loose, had everything but that, another time a T-10 Torx wrench. I don't worry about weight anymore when it comes to a multi tool, now carry a Crank Bros Multi-19, has it all.

How many here that stay on the road carry a 9/10/11 speed chain tool? I bet less than 20%
In the last two decades of riding, I can count on two fingers the number of chain issues I've seen on a ride, whether solo or group. Its a risk/reward calculus, sure, but chain tool is pretty far down the list of needs for the usually 40-mile hammerfest loop. Now, 600k brevet, maybe a different story.

The proper allen key to remove your wheel in the event of a flat is near the top of the list, even if you're just headed down to the corner store.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:14 PM
Climber

Yes no doubt he should have had the correct tool on him. It just seems like bike companies are making thing more and more complex, needing special tools or in some cases a computer to do basic repairs.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:17 PM

Surely you're not suggesting that a 5mm hex driver is a special tool.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:23 PM
Climber

Don't call me Surely!
Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM
il Curmudgeoni

I used to ride Bullseye hubs which have the option of using a bolt that threads into the axle. I usually went that route as I felt it held better and made the wheels harder to steal if the bike was parked somewhere. The cool thing was that they took a 5/16" allen so it wasn't very likely that anyone would have that size on them.

Oh, and I also always carry a chain tool.
Old 10-12-2017, 04:49 PM
v a n i l l a

I have never had a post bar or saddle slip in the field on the road. so no multi-tool.

BUT, i have everything I need to address a puncture 3x (new tube, wet patches/glueless patches, cell phone)

chain tool? never seen a chain issue mine or friends.

But, you have to be able to take your wheel off since tire repair is the most common incident. so the F10 owner...IMHO all on him.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanScott View Post
Yes no doubt he should have had the correct tool on him. It just seems like bike companies are making thing more and more complex, needing special tools or in some cases a computer to do basic repairs.
I believe its a 6mm allen key needed for your friends f10. None of you had a multi tool that had a 6mm wrench? What multi tools are you guys using?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choke View Post
I used to ride Bullseye hubs which have the option of using a bolt that threads into the axle. I usually went that route as I felt it held better and made the wheels harder to steal if the bike was parked somewhere. The cool thing was that they took a 5/16" allen so it wasn't very likely that anyone would have that size on them.

Oh, and I also always carry a chain tool.
:-)
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 PM
Climber

I think it was much bigger like a 10mm????

Another cyclist stopped and and we went through his wrenches with no luck as well.

My unclear point I was trying to make is that they could have easily put a release on the wheel or at least made the axle a common allen size.
I'm not trying to argue that we should have had the tool or carry everything to fix a bicycle.
I just don't understand making something more difficult or not universal to service.

Quote:
I believe its a 6mm allen key needed for your friends f10. None of you had a multi tool that had a 6mm wrench? What multi tools are you guys using?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostic View Post
I had these Control Tech skewers in the mid 90’s that used a 5mm Allen key. Looks like they have not changed much over the years from this image from Universal Cycles.

Fetch the 80s MTB utility bike has those from the previous owner. Easy enough to deal with using a standard or minimal multi-tool and just hard enough to steal to prevent normal thefts.