Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-12-2018, 01:30 AM

The right tool?

I have 3 bikes with Shimano 11 speed and 3 with campy 10. My super light go fast bike is still campy 10 and it's more than capable. 11 speed has lower gearing, so it on my heavier bikes. the Shimano levers have a longer reach to them. Campy levers are compact and feel good for smaller hands. And its hard to beat Di2 for shifting.
Old 09-12-2018, 04:10 AM
bykhed

I just got all of my bikes to 10-speed and now I read it's past its sell by date...sheesh

Can never get ahead in life...
Old 09-12-2018, 06:07 AM

With me it mostly comes down to fact I have no need for cassettes that start with 11 and 12....which is how the 11 and now 12 speed stuff is.....it's mostly flat around here (I rarely go over 25-30 MPH and I can pedal 30 MPH with a 52X14....don't even need a 13...and can pedal 30 with a 50X13).....and also a question of how much do I want to spend on my sport....something I spend a huge amount of time with. And my frames all have 68MM threaded BB's, so can run what I want.

Lower level Campagnolo NEW 10 speed stuff is still available, which works fine. Shifts great, etc. So it's easy to spend just a little and be OK for many many years with my stack of new or almost new 10 speed stuff. Double and triple. And all my 10 speed stuff is the new hood style, which I much prefer over the older hood style.

But "hey" new stuff is nice....so I may buy a new 12 speed group......just because. We also buy new cars before old one is truly worn out....because.....new stuff is nice, even if you don't really need it.

Last edited by Ralph; 09-12-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:25 AM

I have 10s Centaur on my old bike and 11s Chorus (2013) on the newer one. I much prefer the more positive click into gear with 11s. The 10s just feels a bit too soft and quiet. My last Shimano was 9s Dura-Ace and MUCH prefer the hood shape of Campagnolo. Have not tried the newer Shimano stuff though. At first, it took me a while to get used to Campy's mouse-ear button but now I kind of like it. I find shifting when wearing Winter gloves much better. I cannot imaging using Di2 with bulky gloves.

Tim
Old 09-12-2018, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
With me it mostly comes down to fact I have no need for cassettes that start with 11 and 12....which is how the 11 and now 12 speed stuff is.....it's mostly flat around here (I rarely go over 25-30 MPH and I can pedal 30 MPH with a 52X14....don't even need a 13...and can pedal 30 with a 50X13).....and also a question of how much do I want to spend on my sport....something I spend a huge amount of time with. And my frames all have 68MM threaded BB's, so can run what I want.
FYI, Shimano makes a 14-28 cassette. I think it is intended as junior gearing and could be a consideration.

Another possibility to avoid the over-gearing (and I basically agree with you) is a custom compact 50/39. I have this on a couple bikes and it's actually a really nice way to run things and the added bonus is that front shifting is even smoother with the small jump of just 11 teeth.

Running a 50/39 and a 12-25 covers a lot of ground and would be a pretty nice set up for Florida.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Proud Grandpa

Perhaps many 'keep' 10s Campagnolo, rather than keeping 10s shimano is that, even now in 2018, Campagnolo lever bits are still readily available so refresh/overhaul/repair of the levers is so easy. Plus, with even a 11s rear der, nothing is a show stopper with Campagnolo...say..like a 2004 or 2005 10s STI lever that decides to go south..And, like shimano wants, time to upgrade everything(even the wheels) to 11s..
Old 09-12-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoKev View Post
I just got all of my bikes to 10-speed and now I read it's past its sell by date...sheesh

Can never get ahead in life...
Most things are good for a while past the sell by date. I have Campy 10 on three bikes and it hasn't gotten moldy yet on me. I have most of an 11s group on deck just in case it starts to get a funny smell to it... although come to think of it there is this odd smell after I ride the bikes. Must be time to upgrade.

I'm more curious to try the newer Campy hood shape for some longer rides than I am feeling the 10s is out of date. Campy 10 has worked great for me for 15 years, it may go another 15 for me on at least one bike. I should just hold onto it all until it has the draw that C-Record has from its hey day.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:14 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbicycles View Post
Most things are good for a while past the sell by date. I have Campy 10 on three bikes and it hasn't gotten moldy yet on me. I have most of an 11s group on deck just in case it starts to get a funny smell to it... although come to think of it there is this odd smell after I ride the bikes. Must be time to upgrade.

I'm more curious to try the newer Campy hood shape for some longer rides than I am feeling the 10s is out of date. Campy 10 has worked great for me for 15 years, it may go another 15 for me on at least one bike. I should just hold onto it all until it has the draw that C-Record has from its hey day.
I have a complete 1988 or so, C Record group in a box in case my EPS goes south, for me Merckx..even at 30 years old, still works flawlessly..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:40 AM

Campy 10 is still good, campagnolo still produces it from what I understand.

THe other detail is that with 10 speed is more than enough to take you everywhere, heck even 7 is more than enough.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:45 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraman6970 View Post
Campy 10 is still good, campagnolo still produces it from what I understand.

THe other detail is that with 10 speed is more than enough to take you everywhere, heck even 7 is more than enough.
Yup..still makes 10s cogsets(still make 8 speed cogsets)..I strip these for parts..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg large_51507.jpg (86.1 KB, 142 views)
Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 AM

I’ve been using Shimano since I started biking. I built up a Campy chorus 10 bike recently. It’s clear that my Dura Ace 9100 is a newer, more polished group. My dura ace 9100 is much smoother, particular when I spec the groupset-specific cables. The braking, the silence, everything about it just feels very nice. Now that I’ve used campy though, I’ve realized there are four areas in which Shimano can’t compete.

1). Dumping gears. This has immediately become a huge feature for me — something I never thought I’d care about until I used it. Campagnolo 10 at $300-$400 can do it. My $1350 dura ace group, in all its smoothness and polish, can’t.

2). Ergonomics. Dura ace 9100 has subtly better ergonomics than 9000, but even with my relatively large hands I find I prefer the shape of the campy 10 levers.

3). Rear shifting actuation — another thing I didn’t realize I was missing until I used campy. Shifts engage instantly on Campy. My DA group sometimes feels like I’m paddle shifting on a CVT engine, vs manually shifting my 5-speed ‘83 BMW 320i (campy).

4). Shift feel — this is preference. On DA 9100, many shifts you barely notice anything happening. DA9100 tries to stay out of your way. My campy 10 group feels much more mechanical and raw. Shifts are slightly more difficult to engage and the inward lever throw is much longer. However, because there’s no doubt a shift has occurred, I feel like I’m in more control. The manual transmission vs automatic analogy once again comes into play.

If you like the features above, then maybe campy 11 would be the better choice than Shimano. Otherwise Shimano wins for front shifting, braking and polish. I’m going to switch to campy 12 when prices come down a bit.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 AM
PegoNagos

I happily went from Campy 11s EPS back to Campy 10 speed and have never been happier.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showt...ght=campagnolo
Old 09-12-2018, 09:40 AM

I love my Campy 10 speed (and 9 speed) stuff!! Unbelievably easy to set up, works great, so far longevity is good. Wouldn't mind trying 11 speed, but where does it end. Will my grandkids someday have a 20 cog cassette?
Old 09-12-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tornado View Post
Wouldn't mind trying 11 speed, but where does it end. Will my grandkids someday have a 20 cog cassette?
Maybe. Progress is inevitable. I've not once regretted moving to more cogs.

Went from 8 to 10. It was great. Then I went to 11 and it was better than 10. No regrets. Having more options is better than having fewer options.

This discussion makes me smirk and chortle and giggle.
Old 09-12-2018, 10:10 AM

Campy 10 speed rear is now going on 20 years since it's introduction. I wonder how many folks in 1992 were sitting around when they introduced Ergo levers and 8 speed bits and said "Yanno, I think I just prefer to stockpile my Nuovo Record."

Personally, their Rev+ 11 speed stuff is amazing, and I'm excited for 12 given the early reviews from real-life folks.